GM4718M Specification

Status
Not open for further replies.
Because our needs have changed, we've been doing some vehicle shuffling. One of the vehicles we are considering purchasing requires oil that meets GM4718M. Am I correct in assuming that this is only a synthetic specification? Or are there conventional oils that meet this specification?

I'm working the numbers for the total cost of ownership over the time we plan to keep our next vehicle purchase, and I'm adding up the potential maintenance costs. I'd like to get an accurate number for the oil costs.

Thank you.

I found this list on a Corvette site.

GM4718M Registered Products
Revision Date: 1-June-2009
Product Name SAE Viscosity Grades
76 Super Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30, 10W-30
AC Delco Full Synthetic 5W-30
Castrol Edge 5W-30, 10W-30
Castrol SLX Professional 4718 5W-30
Chevron Supreme Synthetic 5W-30, 10W-30
Coastal High Performance Full Synthetic 5W-30
Kendall GT-1 Ultimate Synthetic Motor Oil 5W-30, 10W-30
Mobil 1
0W-20, 0W-30, 5W-30,
10W-30
Northland, Synergy Synthetic 5W-30
Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-30, 10W-30
Pinnacle National Synthetic 5W-30
Q HorsePower 5W-30, 10W-30
Service Pro Full Synthetic 5W-30
Texaco Havoline Synthetic 5W-30, 10W-30
Valvoline SynPower 5W-30, 10W-30
Warren Full Synthetic 5W-30,

I would use any synthetic, including house brands.

Last edited:
According to this website, dexos1 replaces GM4718M.

So to answer your question, I think that all GM4718M oils were synthetic, but if GM says dexos1 will work, you can get by with a blend.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I'd like to get an accurate number for the oil costs.

Pop, in addition to what was already mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to know the OCI of the potential vehicle and whether or not you'd be interested in going on extended OCIs if using an extended drain oil. That can certainly change your calculations significantly.

Bottom line is the Dexos1 spec is not as stringent as the old GM4718M. You won't damage your engine using a Dexos licensed oil and GM does now approve that use. Best thing is to use a good full synthetic such as Mobil, Pennzoil etc and you're be fine.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
GM4718M was superseded by Dexos1. AFAIK, there are some synthetic-blend oils out there that meet Dexos1 spec.

This is correct. I'm running Castrol Syn-Blend 5w-30 in the Caddy and its seems to be doing fine.

Originally Posted By: GMBoy
Bottom line is the Dexos1 spec is not as stringent as the old GM4718M.

Do you have a link to the underlying details of GM4718M spec?

I know Dexos1 introduced fuel economy into the mix, possibly at the expense of some other characteristics.

Originally Posted By: Garak
I'd like to get an accurate number for the oil costs.

Pop, in addition to what was already mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to know the OCI of the potential vehicle and whether or not you'd be interested in going on extended OCIs if using an extended drain oil. That can certainly change your calculations significantly.

Thanks-I'm running the numbers with a couple different scenarios. Given the mileage and driving type it looks like Mobil 1 (or similar) once a year will return the best results. That's assuming we'll purchase the vehicle in question, which we'll decide in the next day or so.

Bottom line is the Dexos1 spec is not as stringent as the old GM4718M. You won't damage your engine using a Dexos licensed oil and GM does now approve that use. Best thing is to use a good full synthetic such as Mobil, Pennzoil etc and you're be fine.

I am with you. GM4718M was developed for a very specific reason( heat/thermal breakdown )and was a synthetic only spec. I know GM says Dexos1 supersedes it now but I would want to know the application before I used anything but a full synthetic.

JMHO &
49.gif

Another question that might come in to play is what is the vehicle and what is the use profile?

One may be able to take liberties and verify via uoa (for oxidation and shearing), if the use profile is benign and the length of ownership relatively short.

End of the day, I doubt that $2/qt, which is maybe $10/OCI is going to have a major effect on lifecycle cost given that it's the equivalent of burning maybe four gallons of fuel over an OCI.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Another question that might come in to play is what is the vehicle and what is the use profile?

The vehicle(s) I'm currently considering are 2008-2009 Cadillac STSs and DTSs. It will be my daily driver, and also used for long trips. Almost all of the miles will be highway miles.

End of the day, I doubt that $2/qt, which is maybe $10/OCI is going to have a major effect on lifecycle cost given that it's the equivalent of burning maybe four gallons of fuel over an OCI.

True, to an extent. But I try to cover all the bases and get a solid handle on the cost of ownership so I know what to expect and plan for. It's part of the due diligence that any owner should do before making a purchase. Especially since we're judicious with our finances and know where pretty much every dollar goes.

The cheapest oil for you that meet that spec will be Supertech in 5w30, and 10w30. The Next cheapest would be QSUD. Napa Synthetic will likely meet the spec as well.

Last edited:

The vehicle(s) I'm currently considering are 2008-2009 Cadillac STSs and DTSs. It will be my daily driver, and also used for long trips. Almost all of the miles will be highway miles.

True, to an extent. But I try to cover all the bases and get a solid handle on the cost of ownership so I know what to expect and plan for. It's part of the due diligence that any owner should do before making a purchase. Especially since we're judicious with our finances and know where pretty much every dollar goes.

So it appears that dexos 1 supersedes the 4718m spec as well as others, such as the LL-025-A spec that my Saab requires. Looks like 4718 was primarily related to volatility and oxidative thickening, though it's not clear if these are more or less stringent in dexos 1 vs 4718.

I'll say this, for my Saab, which does two year, 15k mile OCIs by design, and required the LL-A-025 spec, I've stayed running M1 0w-40 over dexos 1, simply because Mobil recommends that oil for Saab and it retains plenty of other rigorous specs. I would suspect that given the focus on turbocharged, long life extended drains, that the ability to combat oxidative thickening (like 4718) would be there. So you might want to consider an oil like the M1 0w-40.

That said, dexos 1 is claimed by gm to be a suitable replacement for the 4718 spec, and you have a car with a fairly big and powerful v8, which though on a heavy car, is probably rather under-stressed in the rather benign highway use you mention. So any cheap(ish) dexos 1 oil would probably do just fine.

But I still suspect that fuel and other costs are going to so dwarf the delta in oil prices that trying to get your pencil sharp enough to eek out the small delta in cost is going to create a situation where "perfect is the enemy of good enough", and you'll just be wasting time. If being judicious with the finances is a big deal, your old Elantra is probably a far better lifecycle cost choice, as compared to a big V8 luxury/performance sedan. 25 MPG is roughly 10c/mile. A $10 difference in oil prices over a 3k mile oci is only 0.3c/mile, and I suspect your OCIs are longer than 3k...

I would go with Mobil 1 5W30 which meets those specs and is very cheap at Walmart. GM endorses and recommends Mobil 1 in all their engines.

I would agree. There still a lot of oils with the old GM specs. If you have an pre 2011 car speccing 4718M, I would stick to oils with that spec. if oil companies start dropping those specs. then do Dexos 1 that are full synthetic oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back