Pepper Grinder - Good recommendations???

Status
Not open for further replies.
We go through pepper grinders at a rate of about every couple years we need a replacement. Inevitably the wife/sammich maker/swmbo/CFO/CSO buys one from "the kitchen store" and the cycle starts anew.

What do you use/recommend?

I like the old wood ones, I have a couple from thrift stores and I have yet to wear one out. What are you running gravel thru your or what....lol

See if there is a restaurant supply store nearby. Buy one that they sell made for a commercial restaurant...it should be a lot more durable and is what I did. I have had the same one for over 15 yrs.

I got a very basic looking one at IKEA about six years ago. It's not much to look at but the grind is adjustable and the output volume is decent. I have run A LOT of peppercorns through it.

It was my first mill with ceramic grinding parts and I think that might be the way to go. There were a number of styles in store. I have searched and can't find a picture of it. They may carry different styles now.

Purchased an OXO #1140700. Got it from Kohl's. Has ceramic disc so it should last a long time. Also have five adjustments for pepper grind.

Did you just call your wife a sammich maker?
smile.gif

Anyway, I don't own one, but if I needed one, I'd probably just pick up this one:
http://amzn.com/B003L0OOQM

And if it needs to be replaced in a couple of years, oh well...

We have two clear acrylic ones that we've had for over 12 years. One is a combo salt shaker/pepper grinder that sits on the kitchen island and has a fine grind and the other pepper grinder has a very course crack that I like for cooking.

Maybe you're just using more pepper than the average person and wearing them out.

I'm kind of wondering if you are using some organic peppercorns or something.

Maybe spread all your peppercorns out and examine for small stones before loading your mill.

I am sure a tiny pebble, once, would destroy your mill.

I just bought the Unicorn Magnun after seeing a review of pepper mills on Americas Test Kitchen. It is as good as they say. Pumps out a ton of uniform, perfectly ground pepper with just a few twists. Not cheap, but worth the money.

If I was to buy another, I might consider the taller one (Magnum Plus) as I assume that it holds more peppercorns. Not sure on the price difference between the two. The Magnum holds quite a bit, but it is so efficient at grinding that I am running out more often because I am using more fresh ground pepper rather than pre-ground.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete
smile.gif

Anyway, I don't own one, but if I needed one, I'd probably just pick up this one:

From the way your post was worded I thought that link was going to send me to a place to buy a sammich maker that I could replace every couple of years.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Sluggo0018
I just bought the Unicorn Magnun after seeing a review of pepper mills on Americas Test Kitchen. It is as good as they say. Pumps out a ton of uniform, perfectly ground pepper with just a few twists. Not cheap, but worth the money.

If I was to buy another, I might consider the taller one (Magnum Plus) as I assume that it holds more peppercorns. Not sure on the price difference between the two. The Magnum holds quite a bit, but it is so efficient at grinding that I am running out more often because I am using more fresh ground pepper rather than pre-ground.

+1 We have the larger one (daily use) & the smaller one for white pepper.
Lifetime warranty as well (if that matters to you).

smile.gif

+1 on this model, I have one each for salt and pepper, ceramic discs so the salt won't bother it, and more than enough grind settings.

I use a lot of pepper when cooking and these are much easier on the wrists that the twist type mills when seasoning large portions of things.

All the Oxo products I've bought over the years have been good quality and lasted a long time. This one has ceramic grinding parts so it ought to last a good ten plus years.

Originally Posted By: Al
Buy the store brand disposable ones..its a no-brainer.

a great way to fill up those landfills...

Originally Posted By: philipp10
Originally Posted By: Al
Buy the store brand disposable ones..its a no-brainer.

a great way to fill up those landfills...

How do you buy your pepercorns? In a paper bag?? Besides we don't have landfills here we send it up in the air to alter the climate.

We have a Mr Dudley that we have used for years. My parents have ones by the same brand that have been in constant use as far back as I can rememnber... At least to the mid 80s.

I think the key is to have all metal innards... Some cheaper grinders seem to have plastic for the rotating wheel and metal only for the outer shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back