Hyundai Oil Filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does anyone know who makes the Hyundai OEM filters? I bought 2 for the wifes car at the dealer the other day.
They a very sturdy and well constructed. I may cut one apart just see more. But they seem to have a nice thick steel canister and a decent quality bypass spring valve.

Last edited:
I work for a hyundai dealership, they are manufactured by hyundai/kia and are of amazing quality. If you look down at the pleats, they are evenly spaced and packed very tightly. Definetly a great filter!

I don't think Hyundai/Kia owns their own oil filter manufacturing facility, but I'm sure they are a fine filter for the manufacturer recommended OCI.

Joel

Bump as well. Awesome filter for the price. I am thinking that since Fram specifies the same filter for both my Hyundai and Honda that I can use the Hyundai filter on the Honda. Does that make sense? The Hyundai dealer is much closer then the Honda dealer.

Originally Posted By: furgoon
Bump as well. Awesome filter for the price. I am thinking that since Fram specifies the same filter for both my Hyundai and Honda that I can use the Hyundai filter on the Honda. Does that make sense? The Hyundai dealer is much closer then the Honda dealer.

When in doubt, just run the numbers through the Wix filter finder utility. Attack it by both other filter man numbers and by application just to assure that you're seeing all the options.

WIX
Baldwin frequently shows "smaller version" and "longer version" on some offerings.
Baldwin

Go to Donaldson and do the same thing with the numbers (you can list multiple numbers in their utility) Donaldson
and even go to their "Attribute search" utility Here

Select "lube filters" and plug in your needs for thread and/or other dimensions for a cartridge.

Originally Posted By: furgoon

Yes. It would be the same thread, about the same size and about the same pressure bypass setting. But when you get parts at the dealer look around for plain white delivery trucks to see where they're getting their parts. I used to work for AZ Commercial (the commercial branch of autozone) and I'll tell you that a lot of the "dealer" filters in the area came from us in generic boxes of 12.

I have to agree on the quality of the Hyundai filters also. Just bought some OE ones for my '07 Elantra. I have never used an aftermarket of any brand that is even close in build quality. They seem to be made just like the factory Mitsubishi oil filters. I believe some of Hyundai's engine designs were based on Mitsu engines, maybe that is why they are the same. I used a WIX on an '03 Stratus Coupe(Mitsu made) which was the same app as my Hyundai, and it was not made like the Hyundai filter.

I've got 3 brand new ones in the garage, nothing identifying on them really. Inside the filter you can see the slanted H pressed into the metal. The end plate has a W in it. It only says genuine Hyundai/Kia parts, and made in Korea. Like I said, doesn't look like the Wix filter I had for this application. Also, not that I am a Fram basher, but the Fram filter cost the same for this app as getting the Hyundai filter. My engine had a lot more mechanical clatter with the Fram filter I had on here before this Hyundai one. The Hyundai filter also has a lipped O ring, where I noticed the aftermarkets are flat.

Originally Posted By: bustednutz
Does anyone know who makes the Hyundai OEM filters?

Hyundai is a huge conglomerate.

One of its constituents is the Hyundai Kia Automotive Group, which is made up of over a dozen companies that make automobiles and parts.

Hyundai Mobis is the main auto parts manufacturer.

http://www.mobis.co.kr/eng/

It is to Hyundai what AC/Delco is to GM and Mopar to Chrysler.

The filters appear to use Mann (Germany) technology based on an examination of a disassembled filter. Perhaps sometime in the past they obtained technology and machinery from Mann.

They appear to be very well made, robust, and among the better oil filters in terms of their design and construction.

Originally Posted By: Rolf

It is to Hyundai what AC/Delco is to GM and Mopar to Chrysler.

That doesnt mean much when Delcos are made by several companies for them as are the Mopar filters.

Originally Posted By: Dyoel182
That doesnt mean much when Delcos are made by several companies for them as are the Mopar filters.

Did I mention that they make their own filters?

Originally Posted By: Rolf
Did I mention that they make their own filters?

No, you mentioned they were a large company and implied they might have a filter facility.

Last edited:
If anyone else uses Hyundai filters part number 26300-35503 are $5.20 at AAP online right now. Unfortunately they don't qualify for any codes and you'd have to order 15 for free shipping. Am I crazy for actually considering that?? The Hyundai dealership quoted me $6 and some change.

Originally Posted By: TanukTun
If anyone else uses Hyundai filters part number 26300-35503 are $5.20 at AAP online right now. Unfortunately they don't qualify for any codes and you'd have to order 15 for free shipping. Am I crazy for actually considering that?? The Hyundai dealership quoted me $6 and some change.

That isn't too unreasonable for OEM at the dealer IMO. That is about what my local dealer wanted, but I just went with WIX or Fram.

Rockauto has the Auto 7 filter for under $4.00 It's the same as the Hyundai/Kia filter spin on filter.

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
Rockauto has the Auto 7 filter for under $4.00 It's the same as the Hyundai/Kia filter spin on filter.

I saw those Auto 7s on AAP as well but for $5.99. I haven't been on Rockauto yet, I will check them out!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back