2015 Honda Fit - Honda Ultra NEXT 0W-8 - 5,800 mi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the UOA on Honda Ultra NEXT (likely to be 0W-8 oil) in my 2015 Honda Fit. Blackstone appears to have filed this under "L15A" which would be the engine from the previous generation of Fit. They likely don't have averages for the new L15B, I'd guess.

5kecuf.jpg

My car only had about 9500 miles on it (total) when I took the sample, and only 5800 miles on the oil. I'd say 70% highway miles - I did take a long road trip from CA to IA and back, but most of my other driving was in the city. Plenty of hard/spirited driving. MM in the Honda says 60% oil life. Blackstone recommends leaving it in for another 2K.

For those who are interested, here's the VOA:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...VOA#Post3701674

For an engine that is still theoretically "breaking in", these numbers look pretty good.

How much oil does this engine hold and did you notice any consumption?

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
"Hard spirited driving" in a FIT? ROF.....

I drive all my cars the same. It's sufficiently fun with the manual transmission.
Originally Posted By: gonefishing
For an engine that is still theoretically "breaking in", these numbers look pretty good.

How much oil does this engine hold and did you notice any consumption?

It takes about 3.5 quarts and I noticed zero oil consumption. Thanks for the comment!

Originally Posted By: fourside
It was at 60%, but quickly went down to 50%.

You changed it too soon. It may be, that you should have been draining and posting the FF in this thread, not the second OCI.

Originally Posted By: gathermewool
It was at 60%, but quickly went down to 50%.

You changed it too soon. It may be, that you should have been draining and posting the FF in this thread, not the second OCI.

I misread his question - I assumed he was asking when the sample for this UOA was taken.

The first oil change was done a little bit early though, mainly because if I had waited it would've likely called for the change somewhere on my 4K mile road trip on which I would've had zero time to do it.

Last edited:

2012 article in Car and Driver on B-Spec Racers, including the Fit
Two interesting quotes about the Fit:
Several drivers rated the Fit the easiest of the four cars to drive at the limit.
and
To its credit, this car hit 95.0 mph at the end of the straight, the highest velocity recorded all day.

OP: thanks for posting; interesting viscosity...
Enjoy!

Kevin

Hard spirited driving is only easily obtained on a small powered car like the FIT, because you'll be going with the pedal to the metal (aka hard driving) just to get to 70 or 80mph or if climbing up even up a moderate hill, hoping to keep up with traffic; and then working to take your turns well just to maintain momentum.

If you're ROFLing because you own a high HP car, in reality, you're never every going to be able to regularly drive that to even 25% of it's ability on public roads; because you'll be at the limits of safety and prudence. You'll be at the speedlimit at like 1800rpm in 2nd gear in 2seconds and then just puttering along at 10% throttle.

Many enthusiasts appreciate the "entertainment" and the increased difficulty to drive a low-powered car at it's limits in regular driving;
versus a higher powered car that you can't do anything with.

Last edited:
Thanks brothas
grin.gif
Took the words right out of my mouth.

I'll likely be running a cycle of 0W-20 Sustina next that I have left-over from a change on another car. It'll be interesting to compare its performance (in terms of fuel economy as well) to the Ultra NEXT, which I think I'll probably return to the next time, in the interest of science.

Last edited:
This is EXCELLENT! These numbers are super low for such a low viscosity oil, not to mention they were obtained during the break in period. Bravo Honda.

Using an extremely stout add pack to make up for the lack of viscosity but interesting none the less.

When is too thin too thin... my goodness.

I don't feel nearly as bad now running 5w20 in the van all summer during towing season.

Thanks for posting!

Thanks for the comments guys - glad you find it interesting. This won't be the last UOA you'll see of this stuff from me.

Wow. What a report. Thank you for the post and would definitely like to see follow up reports or updates on this engine with these kinds of oil choices!

thumbsup2.gif

Considering this OCI was 4,000 miles of a road trip and therefore a relatively easy/short-OCI, I'd be curious what a normal driving regimen without a long road trip would produce in a UOA on the same type of oil.

That'll most likely be what I post after the Sustina UOA. Since I can probably at least 10K out of the Sustina, that should get me out of the break-in period enough that we can get an even better idea of how it's wearing with the Ultra Next when I go back to it. I'm also going to try to really study the fuel economy differences between the two oils.

That said, I'm already encouraged about this stuff - it appears to be doing its job well and the ultra low viscosity, as Honda said, doesn't seem to show any real signs yet of being a concern in an engine designed to run it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: wi11iam
interesting. where can you buy this oil out of curiosity?

Unfortunately it's a Japanese domestic market oil for the time being, and getting it over to the U.S. probably would make it cost-prohibitive.

Originally Posted By: wi11iam
interesting. where can you buy this oil out of curiosity?

Unfortunately it's a Japanese domestic market oil for the time being, and getting it over to the U.S. probably would make it cost-prohibitive.

I'd really like to see 'any' PCMO's available in the US that comparable to this; which aren't racing formulated of course. I mean in your thread for the VOA I believe Caterham referred to a Motul 0w-15 oil but IIRC it was a racing grade.

Red Line has their racing oils as well, as another user has a UOA of a mix of 20% racing grade Red Line oil here on the first page.

Is that really the only option those in the states have to get an oil like the Honda NEXT you have posted? BITOG please help! D:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back