New Continental ExtremeContact DWS06

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replaces the DWS, available in May.

…………..“The ExtremeContactTM DWS06 is the evolution of our very popular, ExtremeContact DWS,” says Travis Roffler, director of marketing. “This is the ultimate UHP, all-season tire. We’ve maintained excellent snow traction while making improvements in wet traction, dry handling and tread life. This is a tire enthusiasts will really enjoy.”

The ExtremeContact DWS06 marks the debut of the company’s SportPlus Technology. Continental says the technology is designed for precise handling; security on wet, slippery roads; and excellent tread life…………….

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/news/sto...ontact-dws.aspx

http://www.ctamedia.com/continental/index.php/performance/extremecontact-dws06

I liked the original DWS but the soft sidewall just made the cars I used it on to sloppy. Hope they improved on that and maybe a little longer life.

They say they've maintained the excellent snow traction of the DWS, but on the few occasions where I have driven the Camaro on DWS's in the snow it has commanded my full attention. If you want snow traction, buy winter tires. The DWS's are fine for rain and slush, but I wouldn't want to drive on them in snow deeper than ~1/4".

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
They say they've maintained the excellent snow traction of the DWS, but on the few occasions where I have driven the Camaro on DWS's in the snow it has commanded my full attention. If you want snow traction, buy winter tires. The DWS's are fine for rain and slush, but I wouldn't want to drive on them in snow deeper than ~1/4".

The DWS were surprisingly good in snow when I had them installed on my FWD Volvo V-70 T5. I am a snow tire aficionado, particularly when I lived in Colorado and Vermont, but found that the DWS performed very well in the snow.

I will say that my Trans-Am was the worst snow car I've ever driven.

Ever.

The combination of low weight over the driven wheels, high torque, overly responsive throttle, and wide tires were a hideous combination in snow.

The Volvo has 235/45R17 tires, reasonably wide for a 3200 lb car, but the weight distribution, throttle response and other factors make it a good snow car. So, on that car, the DWS were surprisingly good in the snow. They were quite good in the dry as well. Very good tire all around.

the Conti ControlContact AS, which is a Discount Tire Direct exclusive,which to many people looks similar to the DWS, trades some of the DWS' winter capability for better handling (stiffer sidewall)

Last edited:
…….."The new DWS06 UHP all-season tire will have improved handling, "especially crispness of response," said [Continental Product Manager] Joe Maher.
………………………….

If you liked the appearance of the tire, again, don't worry. It will greatly resemble its predecessor.

The tire will be available in 87 W- and Y-rated sizes targeting the same type of fitments as the DWS: sports cars, sporty cars and crossover vehicles…………

http://www.moderntiredealer.com/blog/b-o-b/story/2015/01/psssst-a-new-continental-dws-yes.aspx

I will be very interested in this tire.
I do like the DWS, but I do notice the soft side wall and flat spotting when parked over even short periods of time in even mildly cold weather.
Hopefully the DWS06 will improve in these areas.

I had a set of the originals. They lasted a while, although I replaced them because of my repeated issue with inside shoulder wear (vehicle issue). There was plenty of tread left across most of the width.

My issue with the original DWS was that it squealed like a pig in hard cornering. A tire purporting to be ultra high performance shouldn't do that. I've got the Pilot Sport A/S 3 now and haven't looked back.

I've got the AS3 on my S600.

Very different intent than the DWS. The AS3 is a performance tire that doesn't suck in the snow. The DWS does well in the snow, and tries to balance performance across all conditions. The AS3 is clearly better in dry/wet performance driving. The DWS is clearly better in the snow.

Originally Posted By: Astro14

Very different intent than the DWS. The AS3 is a performance tire that doesn't suck in the snow. The DWS does well in the snow, and tries to balance performance across all conditions. The AS3 is clearly better in dry/wet performance driving. The DWS is clearly better in the snow.

What makes AS3 does not suck in snow?
I have DWS and for me they even suck in snow (that is why I have dedicated winter tires on Tiguan).

There are degrees of 'suckness'.
AS3 suck less in snow than summer tires and have better treadwear.
;-)

Krzys

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: krzyss
There are degrees of 'suckness'.
AS3 suck less in snow than summer tires and have better treadwear.
;-)

Krzys

I'm not sure if my experience counts. I took my WRX up to Reno/Tahoe area with the AS3s. It was a bit cold, and very little snow on the roads. I occasionally found myself driving on ice patches and a few snow/ice covered parking lots. It wasn't too bad, but then I probably didn't go faster than 10 MPH whenever there was snow.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

I have DWS and for me they even suck in snow (that is why I have dedicated winter tires on Tiguan).

The AS3 are merely adequate in snow.

The previous summer tires on the car were horrible in snow, downright dangerous. Zero traction. The AS3 are a lot better, but they're not good in snow, they're just not dangerous.

I've gone through several sets of snow tires when I lived in snow country. Nokians, Bridgestones, and Continentals. All were excellent. The Blizzaks and Hakkapelliittas simply excel in the snow.

The DWS were merely OK. But that's far better than dangerous, and better than the adequate of the AS3.

But that's my point: the AS3 was built to perform like regular summer tires in the dry, and they do! But, unlike summer tires, without being dangerous in the snow. They've achieved just that. The AS3 are not dangerous in the snow. But they aren't snow tires, and they aren't even good, they just don't suck...and that's far better than the summer tires that they match for performance.

I really like the AS3.

Originally Posted By: edyvw

The AS3 are merely adequate in snow.

The previous summer tires on the car were horrible in snow, downright dangerous. Zero traction. The AS3 are a lot better, but they're not good in snow, they're just not dangerous.

I've gone through several sets of snow tires when I lived in snow country. Nokians, Bridgestones, and Continentals. All were excellent. The Blizzaks and Hakkapelliittas simply excel in the snow.

The DWS were merely OK. But that's far better than dangerous, and better than the adequate of the AS3.

But that's my point: the AS3 was built to perform like regular summer tires in the dry, and they do! But, unlike summer tires, without being dangerous in the snow. They've achieved just that. The AS3 are not dangerous in the snow. But they aren't snow tires, and they aren't even good, they just don't suck...and that's far better than the summer tires that they match for performance.

I really like the AS3.

AS3 is very good tire, but I think it is just summer tire that has an compound that is little more flexible to perform (handle, brake) better in colder weather (not snow or slush) then PSS or Primacy.
AS3 probably (Do not know, I have PSS for summer) is warming up faster, can still operate reasonably in when temperature drops below 40. My problem is that calling those tires All-Season is very deceiving for drivers who are not enthusiasts like us, and do not understand how tires operate at different temperatures.

I will say that my Trans-Am was the worst snow car I've ever driven.

Ever.

The combination of low weight over the driven wheels, high torque, overly responsive throttle, and wide tires were a hideous combination in snow.

True, but it IS 'doable' with 225 section width (or less) R2s (or the equivalent), and 200 lbs. of Speedy dry in the hatch, and 2nd gear starts with a T56.
wink.gif

Snow handling is still likely garbage.

My Nokian WR G2's with 4/32" left handled the snow/ice/slush better then brand new Conti DWS.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Snow handling is still likely garbage.

My Nokian WR G2's with 4/32" left handled the snow/ice/slush better then brand new Conti DWS.

Of course, it is AS tire.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back