Akebono ProACT vs. Raybestos Element3 EHT Pads (pics)

Out of curiosity, I ordered two sets of front pads for a 2005 Infiniti G35 RWD Sedan. The FMSI number for this application is 888.

I received a set of Raybestos Element3 EHT pads and a set of Akebono's ProACT Pads.

The Raybestos pads run $45 and are a mix of semi-metallic and NAO ceramic materials. The Akebono pads are a NAO ceramic material and were $60. The Raybestos pads use multi-layer steel shims and also include a decent hardware kit; the Akebono pads use a coated steel shim (coating is generally scratched up when it arrives) and does not include hardware.

Shown below are some pictures that I took of the two pads. There are some very obvious (and significant) differences in the pad design from these two suppliers.

1) Top pad - Akebono, Bottom Pad - Raybestos. Take a look at the size difference between the two pads...it appears that the Akebono's friction material covers a shorter portion of the backing plate.

Untitled by Michael Wan, on Flickr

2) Different in friction rating. While this doesn't tell the whole story, it is certainly something to consider.

3) Pad Materials - we already know that they're a bit different. Akebono is the one on top, Raybestos is below it.

4) Chamfers and pad shape - Akebono has a much more "aggressive" chamfer, but fewer slots (1 vs 2) and a different pad shape. Raybestos has a smaller chamfer (maybe more noisy?), two wide slots and a pad shape that seems to be purposely different.

5) Pad Boxes

Based on these initial pictures, which pads would you be more inclined to use?

Last edited:
Reactions: JC1
Great pics by the way
smile.gif

Maybe that's why(having less friction material), the Akebono ProACT that I first installed on our '01 RX300(as it's first pad replacement from OE), only lasted 1/2 the time of any other pad that I have used since, and including the OE Lexus pads.

The ProACT's may have been the "NICEST" pad I have ever used in terms of their luxury feel(with great bite) and were always smooth & quiet in all driving situations and with the least amount of noticeable dusting. And being driven through a variety of climate changes here in the North East as we experience all 4 seasons with some mountainous highway usage.

I have not purchased the ProACT's since this 1st pad replacement as this was my first experience with ceramic and have found other brands of ceramic pad to perform similarly for le$$ money that last longer too! There are many other brands of ceramic pads that have a darker dusting on the aluminum wheels though, none of them have damaged the wheels(impregnated into the aluminum). One of the many high points of ceramic friction material, IMHO!

Last edited:
In addition:

Less friction material on the rotors to start off with means, more brake pedal pressure, causing faster pad wear. Although I never noticed as the stopping power of the ProACT's is very good!

Critic: Where did you get the Akebonos from, and which pads? At least according to my supplier up here, there are two versions of Akebono ProACT pads (at least for some applications, including my G37 trim level) some with hardware, and some without. What was the nature of the part number? Was it ACT followed by four or five digits or something like that?

Originally Posted By: The Critic
...which pads would you be more inclined to use?

I would be most inclined to use the ones most closely resembling the OE pads. (actually, I would be most inclined to use OE pads) Failing the ability to compare and constrained to these two I would use the ProAct because I suspect with the pad chamfers they will have the lowest noise and remain that way until they hit the wear indicators.

No one ever has anything bad to say about putting Akebonos on an import vehicle. Ever.

Yet, because we see a slightly larger pad surface area on the Raybestos pads, several people automatically say, "Raybestos" is better.

There is no evidence that the larger pad size is even needed. If you read reviews about Akebono pads, include the two people who have used them in this thread, they all RAVE about how much bite the pads have and how great they feel.

I'd use a pad HALF the size of the Akebono if 99% of reviewers said it outperformed them.

I don't even have any Akebono pads on my vehicles, but I bet these pads will go on my Honda and Subaru soon. Not because of pics that cause us to "jump to conclusions" about which is better, but because of real life experiences and reviews. Besides, I think that chamfer is IMPORTANT to lifetime quiet brakes.

It's NOT that much different than us BITOG'ers looking at VOA's and claiming which oil is better than which. "Valvoline is so blah and weak compared to Redline"....for example.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Phishin
No one ever has anything bad to say about putting Akebonos on an import vehicle. Ever.

Yet, because we see a slightly larger pad surface area on the Raybestos pads, several people automatically say, "Raybestos" is better.

There is no evidence that the larger pad size is even needed. If you read reviews about Akebono pads, include the two people who have used them in this thread, they all RAVE about how much bite the pads have and how great they feel.

I'd use a pad HALF the size of the Akebono if 99% of reviewers said it outperformed them.

I don't even have any Akebono pads on my vehicles, but I bet these pads will go on my Honda and Subaru soon. Not because of pics that cause us to "jump to conclusions" about which is better, but because of real life experiences and reviews. Besides, I think that chamfer is IMPORTANT to lifetime quiet brakes.

It's NOT that much different than us BITOG'ers looking at VOA's and claiming which oil is better than which. "Valvoline is so blah and weak compared to Redline"....for example.

+1. I have used Akebono ProAct on several vehicles and they all perform flawlessly.

Originally Posted By: artbuc

+1. I have used Akebono ProAct on several vehicles and they all perform flawlessly.

+2
I'm sure the EHT's are a good pad, personal experience over several years and thousands of miles with the Akebono's yield zero complaints with life/performance.

No one said the Akebono is bad but look at it for it is, the Raybestos has a GG rating vs the Akebono's FF, more pad material which is not a bad thing.
Take the names off and pick one. I would choose the Raybestos based just on those two things alone. Both parts have a good name, so its not like one is a known quality and the other a cheap no name where you trust the rating.

As far as no evidence a larger pad is ever needed i don't understand what your talking about. The more pad you have the more stopping power all other things being equal, i don't think there is a debate about that.
Akabono is okay but its certainly not the be all and end all, its just another quality pad amongst many.

I am with DuckRyder regarding the use of a pad that most resembles the OEM design.

In the first picture, assuming that the backing pads are the same thickness, the pad material on the Raybestos appears to be about 2mm thicker than the Akebono. That's 4 mm of extra thickness to accommodate in the caliper. Maybe good, maybe not. The second Raybestos slot reduces surface area also.

I would be leery of using either until I confirmed what the OEM looked like.

It's good to see both are made in the U.S.. I thought Raybestos went entirely overseas.

Having used Akebonos on both of our in-signature vehicles now, they are pretty much my default brake pad when I need them, for any vehicle. I've found them to be good quality, reasonably priced, and American-made.

One reason I like Akebono pads are the easy of installation. They come with the shims firmly attached and the pads attached so easy in the caliper it's a delight. Had trouble with other pads were I had to fight them in the caliper or use a file to take a mm off the metal tabs.

OEM Toyota doesn't come with shims , you have to pay extra for them. In the salt belt sometimes the shims are rusted away or worn.

I'd take the Raybestos pads hands down. The backing plate tab looks rough on the Akebono pad.

There may be good engineering reasoning for the significant chamfers, and the pad size could be optimum on the Akebono. I like the GG rating, shim, and possibly better finished backing plate on the Raybestos.

It's interesting to see the Raybestos are made in the USA. Most of what I've read on these new Element pads indicates many of them are made in China.

Back