All terrain Tires - What to look for

Status
Not open for further replies.
My 2006 Colorado is needing new tires. Currently I have 245/70/17 LTX AT2 on there. I want something a little more off roadish as the Michelins are great street tires, but that is not what I bought the Z71 4X4 for.

I have never bought truck tires before, this is my first time.

Because this is my daily driver, I do not want Mud tires, but an A/T tire that has excellent snow/mud traction for when I do go off road, and to cope with WA snow/slush/ice when it does hit.

Right now I am looking at getting 265/65/17 Goodyear DuraTracs. And I plan on having them siped at the dealer.

Any info on what to look for, or recommendations would be appreciated.

Agree on the DuraTrac.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
And I plan on having them siped at the dealer.

No. Absolutely not.

Look at bfg all terain tako2. Spendy but worth it. Nitto tires makes a good tire as well.

The only problem I have seen is that good years seem to throw a belt if tire maintance is neglected

cooper discoverer AT/3

One of the best AT tires at the best price.

They also don't need additional siping.

they would be around 560$-75-60 rebates=
425$ after MIR (not including tax but including shipping)

you could also get that price at a local discounttire(plenty in Washington)
by having them pricematch their sister company
discounttiredirect.com

Additional siping can cause bad chunking offroad.
Molded in siping is much better than cut in siping.

Last edited:
Why no aftermarket siping?

Looking at the tires in the showroom, the factory siping is only on the surface. Aftermarket siping goes deeper, and is there as the tire wears.

I have had my PC tires siped and it does make the tire's effectiveness last as the tires wear.

And I do not go off road regularly, so I am not worried about the chunking.

Last edited:
I forgot about coopers new discoverer rtx good aggressive tire with good siping

Are you looking for tires to be the part, or look the part? Sniping and of road don't really mix for longevity

And michelins have sniping that goes all the way down Why Didn't you like the ms2s

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: hansj3
I forgot about coopers new discoverer rtx good aggressive tire with good siping

Are you looking for tires to be the part, or look the part? Sniping and of road don't really mix for longevity

And michelins have sniping that goes all the way down Why Didn't you like the ms2s

I guess, in your terminology, I want to look the part. I rarely go off road. I am not a rock climber. But, on the occasion that I do go on a dirt/mud back road, I don't want to have to rely on 4WD to get me there. Same with snow. So siping will be more of a benefit than a hinderance. At least that's what the sales guys at the local tire shops have told me when I talk to them. Yes, they say that siping can cause chunking - if I was CONSTANTLY on gravel or dirt roads, or rock climbing every weekend. But I am not.

The Michelins are cracking, and they squeak. I have talked to several guys that have had Michelin AT tires, and they all say the same thing - they squeak on pavement, and the sidewalls crack. And the set I have on there now[came on the truck when I bought it], are not siped, and are useless in wet grass or snow. Without 4WD, I am not going anywhere.

Last edited:
Cooper Discoverer AT3! Mine are nearly 3 years old, and I have zero complaints. They do fine in rain and snow, and not too bad off road. You'd be hard pressed to find a better A/T tire for the money... or for more $$$, for that matter.

Edit: If you go with the AT3s, skip the extra siping, I don't think they are needed on these tires.

Last edited:
At least that's what the sales guys at the local tire shops have told me when I talk to them.

There's the problem.

Know the only thing you'll get out of it? A lighter wallet and voided manufacturers warranty.

As for traction off-road, airing down to the appropriate pressure will be incredibly more effective than dealer siping. Your Colorado has hardly any weight on the rear end to start with, and such a large tire only exaggerates the issue.

BFG AT KO or KO2.

Interesting about the LTX AT, I always wondered how they would do off road.

Originally Posted By: Rand
cooper discoverer AT/3

One of the best AT tires at the best price.

+1. I did research last year into new tires and this was my choice also.

A good all terrain is going to have sipes from the factory. I'd recommend getting sipes added if you get mud tires - which you said you don't want.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
BFG AT KO or KO2.

Interesting about the LTX AT, I always wondered how they would do off road.

They suck off road/snow.

As for the KO or KO2 - no treadwear warranty as they only come in LT flavor.

Originally Posted By: Miller88
A good all terrain is going to have sipes from the factory. I'd recommend getting sipes added if you get mud tires - which you said you don't want.

I understand, but the factory siping is gone after 20k miles, no?

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Good read: http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

"Duratracs are one of the most recommended tires on your forums and others for overlanding. Huge disservice excluding them for the Wranglers that no one recommends."

Lots of guys have told me how they have had Goodyears come apart on them. Then there is the anecdote that Goodyears are only Good for one Year.....

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Originally Posted By: AZjeff
Good read: http://expeditionportal.com/where-the-rubber-meets-the-road/

"Duratracs are one of the most recommended tires on your forums and others for overlanding. Huge disservice excluding them for the Wranglers that no one recommends."

Lots of guys have told me how they have had Goodyears come apart on them. Then there is the anecdote that Goodyears are only Good for one Year.....

Ugh.

Talk to enough people, and you'll hear good/bad about every single thing in this world. Eventually, you just have to make a decision. Good luck.

No siping on a daily driver. Realistically you will use the tires on the street 99% of the time. Siping is for dedicated off road tires, which these are not.

You'll get much better performance by just airing down and also installing air lockers in the differentials if you are really serious about off-road performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back