2015 500 exc

Status
Not open for further replies.
BTw ,

Ive been running this thing like a sport bike. I checked the valves 12 hour mark, 22 hours mark and 43 hour mark, they have not moved at all. Everything at mid spec.

Im pleased with that, don't know if due to my concoction or what. Hopefully don't see any movement till 10,000 miles , then I know it can handle the long term.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
Judging by the zinc/phos and calcium, looks to be the same oil.
I cant say exactly whats the difference between present dino 20w50 and the syn, they are really very close by the numbers, flash, vis, ect.
They both have the similar smell, so I know they aren't to far apart. Both smell like Plastique, with the syn being slighty stronger in that regard, and not by much

Yes, Im kind of, sort of, of the thinking that some companies that produce these oils use much of the same additives for the syn and conventional products they produce. More or less the VR1 and Motorcycle oil, which is a good thing in my mind. Makes me thing Valvoline is producing a product they strongly believe in, vs. the companies out there that are just buying oils from refiners who stick their own name on the product. (resellers) All that is fine though. I honestly think no one can go wrong with most oils on the market from big companies.
I do think they can go wrong with many of the boutique oils, I think most are a scam except for the standout Amsoil.

Anyway the weather has sucked here on the weekends and pouring rain again today, been great during the work week!
Im off again tomorrow and not so sure yet if I will get rained on, I want to take a day trip and pyle on a few hundred miles to get closer to 2000 to 2500 miles and then finally select some oil and change it. But being its raining today, even if it gets nicer tomorrow by the time the lawn gets cut .. ya da ...

Most likely going to be the conv Valvoline 20/50 MC oil ... Im still looking at the Mystik 15/50 semi syn. but ... the Valvoline does so well why bother ... then again, just curious about the Mystik ... but there are many miles down the road (god willing) to try it one day or year. I do know I wont run a straight synthetic in the engine. Just me personally, rather run conventional in a MC Vtwin engine but again, I change by or around 3000 miles or so couple times a year.

Ill give credit that I think the syn is more stable for someone changing once a year or is lucky enough to ride so much that they need to push their change intervals to the max.
Again, just what I prefer for me.

Last edited:
The base oil of the dino valve 20w50, is not some crude group2 oil, its [censored] close the their full syn stuff, its definitely a hydrocracked group 3 and probably is a semi syn even though not labled.

I noticed your sodium level was high like mine, must be some ingrediant in that oil. another strong point to being the same oil.

but the full valve MC syn at walmart, seems to be a notch better, but not by much, if at all.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: used_0il
The additive package looks like automotive SN for SAE 40 and above,
with phosphorous at 911 and zinc at 1083.
An old school CI-4 plus, or CH/SM 15W40 such as Delo 400 will have an
additive package that is 40% higher, and wet clutch compatible.

Has anyone thought of using Caterpillar TO-4+ oils in motorcycles?
They are basically friction modified engine oils with very tough
qualification standards.

ive ran delo, but the only thing that's higher is the calcium levels, zinc and stuff even in diesel oil nowadays is a lot lower than it used to be.

I've used OxyClean to clean filters. It's OK but nothing is better than the No-Toil powdered cleaner. Wow! Stuff gets clean fast and it's non toxic leaving you with no dirty gasoline to dispose of later.

My "old" gas (free of contaminants) is E0 with two cycle oil mixed in so I just use it everywhere in my gas powered items with the exception of my cars.

Arent those biodegradable oil removers?

Those usually have little effect on the real stuff, it takes a real solvent to break the real stuff down.

Originally Posted By: Mackelroy
Arent those biodegradable oil removers?

Those usually have little effect on the real stuff, it takes a real solvent to break the real stuff down.

Send me your address. I'll send out an ounce of the powder for you to see. Wait, it's white and a powder. Reason enough to clear out a USPS mail handling room...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back