Lucas Oil Stabilizer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's just very thick mineral base oil without additives.

When added to oil, it's diluting the important stuff.

Want thicker oil? Use thicker oil.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
Is lucas oil stabilizer a good product?

No.

The only good thing Lucas makes is the gizmo (at the parts counter) with the gears and cranks you can amuse yourself with while waiting for parts.

I don't get why are they trying to peddle that stuff. I cringe when someone shopping cart has 5qts of a quality oil and a bottle of Lucas.

Originally Posted By: Donald

No.

The only good thing Lucas makes is the gizmo (at the parts counter) with the gears and cranks you can amuse yourself with while waiting for parts.
But you never see one of those things wear out.,,,

Lord only knows if it does any good in an axle or transmission either.They sell giant containers of the stuff to the HD over the road truck bunch.Wonder if anybody gets 1 million miles out of an engine with that in it....??

Their stop slip ATF additive worked for me (most will say it's simply masking the problem). Used their synthetic 75W-140 gear oil in my rear differential (Nissan spec) without issue. Used their two cycle oil in my dirt bike without issue. They sponsor many motorcycle events and their oil did not damage my motor so I don't share the high level of suspicion others here share for them.

That said, I don't know how the oil stabilizer could improve good motor oil.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Like I asked to one of your previous questions

"What problem are you trying to solve?"

^^^This^^^

I've seen it quiet down some knocking old engines, but thicker oil would do the same thing.

It does do one thing very well - separate you from your hard-earned money.

Don't buy it, don't use it. It will turn a good motor oil into a thicker, not-quite-as-good motor oil.

Originally Posted By: Donald

No.

Lucas does make some decent products like their UCL/fuel stabilizer.
As for the oil stabilizer it would be okay to boost viscosity if say you were going to a drag strip in an older car for the day and then do an oil change afterwards. I wouldn't use it in every day driving.
Its also handy if you want to sell an old beaten car with a dodgy engine!

STP was big time in the mid 60s, my Dad would take me to some of the big time

drag races at Houston International , Big Daddy Don Garlits and the like.

Anyway, we would get pit passes so we could get a close look at the machines.

It seems every crew would add STP to their engines .

Every high school boy had a STP sticker on his car.

Yeap, STP was the stuff !

No!
Its complete garbage, Its just an oil thickener without additives so it dillutes your oil.
As already mentioned if you need thicker oil so buy thicker oil.

This is an additive that should be used if you want to drive your car the last 1000 miles without liftertick before you trash it.
If you have a car that have many years left so dont even consider to use it, Buy thicker oil instead if thats what you need.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: NHGUY
Lord only knows if it does any good in an axle or transmission either.They sell giant containers of the stuff to the HD over the road truck bunch.Wonder if anybody gets 1 million miles out of an engine with that in it....??

Does 925k miles come close enough? The first new truck I bought was a 2000 Western Star with the awesome N14 Cummins. I used two gallons of LOS every oci which was approx 20% as prescribed by Lucas. I also used one gallon in the transmission and one gallon in each rear diff for the entire time I had the truck.

The only thing I ever did was regular maintenance and one injector. Never a problem with the trans or diffs. The engine was "hopped up" with far more power/torque than the stock 525/1850 rating for the last 425k miles. My oci's were 15k to 18k in those days and my UOA's were always flagged for high viscosity. It's been about eight years since I used LOS but I think my viscosity at 100C was around 17-18 cSt in UOA.

I never thought of additive dilution back then. When I traded the Star in for a much more aerodynamic truck I also stopped using Lucas to get the best mpg that I could.

Feel free to hit me over the head with your keyboards now, but I did get 925k miles out of that truck using LOS front to back and starting with the first oil change. It was running strong when I traded it. I still use their fifth wheel lube which is great stuff.

Originally Posted By: dustyroads

I never thought of additive dilution back then. When I traded the Star in for a much more aerodynamic truck I also stopped using Lucas to get the best mpg that I could.

Feel free to hit me over the head with your keyboards now, but I did get 925k miles out of that truck using LOS front to back and starting with the first oil change. It was running strong when I traded it. I still use their fifth wheel lube which is great stuff.

No reason to hit you with the keyboard, I have seen many who have done the same and used LOS since the vehicle was brand new.
Since you spent money on LOS you probably took very good care of your vehicle in general and bought quality oils and kept the oci´s reasonable so im not surprised it lasted 925k.

This is a VOA of LOS and there is no way it could had prolonged your engine life except for thickening your engine oil.

TBN - 0.1
Visc - 615.3
FP - 435
Calcium - 3
Magnesium - 1
Phosphorus - 4
Zinc - 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back