Castrol Edge in place of Mazda 0W-20 w/ Moly

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a fairly new 2015 Mazda 6 with the Skyactiv 2.5 gas engine. The dealer gave me the first oil/filter change free when I purchased the car. After 5K miles that service was performed but I was surpised to see on the service form that they used Castrol Edge instead of the Mazda 0W-20 w/ Moly.

Of course all manufacturers are going to recommend their own brand, but the Mazda oil specifically was called out for use in Skyactiv engines because of the larger concentrations of moly in it. Not a big deal and I'm sure it's fine but I'll be using the recommended Mazda oil as it is about the same price as Edge. Never used Edge but I'm sure it's a fine oil. I have no desire to start another oil thread as I've been down the road of agonizing over what oil should be used in my various vehicles. I'll always use the recommended grade and specs and not lose any more sleep over it.

Last edited:
Mazda pushes the Castrol Edge on the dealers. They have a marketing agreement type thing with Castrol. We have the barrels of the Castrol, but keep the Idemitsu in bottles for OTC sales.

Guessing the Castrol Edge is cheaper for the dealership to use than the Mazda oil, and that almost nobody (well, except for you) would even notice them not using it..

Last edited:
I figured as much. So is that Mazda-branded oil w/ Moly re-branded Castrol in fact? I know BMW motorcycles were doing this, however theirs was a Euro-based group IV synthetic.

Originally Posted By: wi11iam
Guessing the Castrol Edge is cheaper for the dealership to use than the Mazda oil, and that almost nobody (well, except for you) would even notice them not using it..

I always pay close attention to that stuff. I talked to a good guy there and he requested that I ask for him by name and that he would make sure they used the Mazda oil next time.

Originally Posted By: FusionGuy37
I figured as much. So is that Mazda-branded oil w/ Moly re-branded Castrol in fact? I know BMW motorcycles were doing this, however theirs was a Euro-based group IV synthetic.

No, the Mazda branded oil is blended by Idemitsu.

True the Castrol drums are cheaper than the Idemitsu, something like $10-15 a drum cheaper.

I guess what I'm really asking is; is there a significant difference from an additive perspective with Edge vs. Mazda. Seems like Edge promotes their "Titanium" additive. What that is I have no idea...

IMHO....seems all dealerships are the same. Some use national syn-blend oil for the oil changes. It would be cost prohibitive for Toyota dealerships to give free oil changes using Toyota/Mobil synthetic oil for free oil changes. Most of the dealerships have drums of synthetic blend Castrol, Valvoline and others for oil changes.

Originally Posted By: FusionGuy37
I have a fairly new 2015 Mazda 6 with the Skyactiv 2.5 gas engine. The dealer gave me the first oil/filter change free when I purchased the car. After 5K miles that service was performed but I was surpised to see on the service form that they used Castrol Edge instead of the Mazda 0W-20 w/ Moly.

Of course all manufacturers are going to recommend their own brand, but the Mazda oil specifically was called out for use in Skyactiv engines because of the larger concentrations of moly in it. Not a big deal and I'm sure it's fine but I'll be using the recommended Mazda oil as it is about the same price as Edge. Never used Edge but I'm sure it's a fine oil. I have no desire to start another oil thread as I've been down the road of agonizing over what oil should be used in my various vehicles. I'll always use the recommended grade and specs and not lose any more sleep over it.

It isn't castrol edge retail like you are thinking, it is Castrol OE Professional 0W-20. Very stout oil.

Here is the data sheet: http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/50527307967BCCC080257CD80050C066/$File/BPXE-9K774P.pdf

Personally, I think the Castrol is a better oil than the Mazda oil. Very stable basestock and good add pack. It doesn't have the VII that the Mazda Moly oil does but that is a good thing IMO.

Last edited:
I'd rather have the Castrol oil over the Mazda OE. Mazda OE is a nice oil for maximum fuel economy but I don't like the ultra high VI, which is achieved by using viscosity index improvers. The moly is also noy tri nuclear, which is what is used in the Castrol oil. The new Castrol Edge oils are very good.

I forgot to add I have posted a UOA of the Castrol OE 0W20 in the UOA sub-forum if interested.

I think the Castrol would be a good fit for your Mazda.

I used the off the shelf black bottle Castrol Edge 0W-20 in my two Camrys a couple of changes ago and was very pleased with it.

If I remember correctly, it has strong initial TBN and a fair amount of moly too.

I think Castrol has been doing its homework improving its non-euro spec products in the US.

BTW, given the engine is DI, and my wife makes lots of short trips, I went with Castrol Edge EP 5W30. I plan on 6 month OCI's.

Originally Posted By: Brigadier
BTW, given the engine is DI, and my wife makes lots of short trips, I went with Castrol Edge EP 5W30. I plan on 6 month OCI's.

I appreciate what you're saying but why deviate from what the manufacturer suggests? That is why there is a maintenance Schedule 1 and 2. I follow 2 as I live in AZ and it's dustier here than back east.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back