pre-Katrina Pennzoil 5w30 5.5k, 2006 Mercury V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car: 2006 Mercury Montego
Engine: 3.0L 24v V6, 180K total miles, 5500 miles on oil
Oil: 6qts total: 5qts pre-Katrina Pennzoil 5w30 SL dino, 1qt PZ 5w20 (1 qt is post-Katrina)
No oil added during interval
Air Filter: Paper

No additives

I have been looking forward to the data from this report. Pre-Katrina oils were SL-based, nice add packs, and simply a very good product.

For me the jury was still out on dino in this car, but all fears were laid to rest with this excellent report.

Now someone please tell me why I fiddled around for so long with UOA's on Saturns when I could have owned a car that had an engine that produced excellent UOA's like this one?

06Montego-2015-03.jpg

Good wear numbers. The 5w20 top off brought it down in viscosity but of course the engine seems to like it that way, probably because it's back specd for a 5w20. I would use Motorcraft 5w20 if I didn't want to use a synthetic.

I've been using 0w20 and 5w20, but I thought what the heck, this oil has been staring at me for 10 years, why not try it?

I'm glad I did. Will continue to use it, this engine loves it. And it probably loves other oils as well.

Hey Mike
Do you remember any details which would lead up to the results on the UOA on 6/20/12? Looks like all 'heck' let loose in the time leading up to that analysis---overheat?
Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back