Michelin Premier A/S vs Pilot Sport A/S 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Another question I have. There is a Pirelli that looks decent also called a P7 Cinturanto in same league as Premier ratings wise and price.

What would learn towards between Pirelli vs Michelin? My experience with Pirelli dates back to my first car so dated.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
I found this interesting and useful and makes me shy away from Pilot Sport A/S given winter traction rating nothing else.

UHPAS Tires rankings tirerack

Yeah, according to these user survey results, the Pilot A/S 3 is as bad as my Bridgestone RE970AS when it comes to winter performance, and there is a reason why I don't use the Bridgestones during winter.

As I mentioned earlier, if winter traction is important, stay the [censored] away from UHP all-seasons.

What would learn towards between Pirelli vs Michelin?

Made in Mexico vs. Made in USA.

Not an issue for me personally, but some people care.

The DWS was superior to our current Yoko Avid Envigor in winter traction. However IMHO about the same for everything else.

I found this interesting and useful and makes me shy away from Pilot Sport A/S given winter traction rating nothing else.

UHPAS Tires rankings tirerack

44 Million miles reported.
crazy2.gif
An order of magnitude above everything else. I'm not discounting those who had bad experiences with them, not every tire works great for every car... sometimes you just get a few bad ones... but that's an order of magnitude above every other tire reported! That's not just "category leading". That's Category Dominance.

Originally Posted By: HangFire
44 Million miles reported.
crazy2.gif
An order of magnitude above everything else. I'm not discounting those who had bad experiences with them, not every tire works great for every car... sometimes you just get a few bad ones... but that's an order of magnitude above every other tire reported! That's not just "category leading". That's Category Dominance.

I bought DWS based on Tirerack test and consumer survey. It was the best UHPAS at the time I bought it, turned out it was the worse tire I ever had on my 2 cars, up to a point that it would not use it even if it was free.

DWS may be good on other cars in other climates, but not on my cars in So Cal weather. I regretted I bought DWS about 3-5k miles after had it installed, too late for 30 days "Test Drive" to return, too early to dump it.

Im getting ready to put the Premier A/S on my daughters Accord. Costco has a $70 rebate and a 60K miles warranty on them. I have PS2s on my Civic and Mercedes - they are in another league handling wise - but were downright scary in the 3 days of snow we got this year.

My prior tires on my Civic were DWSs and they were horrible. Bald in 20K miles and noisy.

Just put a set of PS AS/3s on my 07 335 sport/staggered. My first choice would have been regular PSSs but I expect to do a lot of driving to Chicago - I wanted the 45k warranty.

First impressions: REALLY comfortable highway tire. Very supple turn in, very stable. Cornering is progressive and predictable.

They're a little noisier than the PSSs I had on my last car - they were truly sublime - and had the quietest hard-core performance I've ever had. That AS siping can be heard. But I only notice it because I know what it's like to not have it.

Even with the AS rating, I'll still likely run winter tires with my RWD car. But I might delay it next season and see how they are.

$630 is a good price for the Premiers. I think I paid $570 for mine in the same size, but only because I was able to stack the $70 off Michelin and the $60 off America's Tire rebates at the same time.

TireRack did a recent test for snow and they said the Premiers did quite well, only 2nd to the P7.

Everything that I've heard about the Pilot Sport A/S3 tells me that it is an all-season tire on paper only - they are pretty pathetic in any snow or cold temperatures.

Just once warning about the Premiers - they're great in the rain and are very quiet, but their dry traction and dry cornering leave a bit to be desired.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
$630 is a good price for the Premiers. I think I paid $570 for mine in the same size, but only because I was able to stack the $70 off Michelin and the $60 off America's Tire rebates at the same time.

TireRack did a recent test for snow and they said the Premiers did quite well, only 2nd to the P7.

Everything that I've heard about the Pilot Sport A/S3 tells me that it is an all-season tire on paper only - they are pretty pathetic in any snow or cold temperatures.

Just once warning about the Premiers - they're great in the rain and are very quiet, but their dry traction and dry cornering leave a bit to be desired.

That's the tradeoff you take between a Grand Touring tire and UHP tire... Of course, the Premier isn't made for dry traction and cornering. Likewise, the Pilots won't be as quiet, nor ride as comfortably.

Most all-seasons are made for "light snow", if you want to drive through deep snow, blizzards, etc with much more confidence, Michelin has a tire for you also.

The Pilots would be able to get you home in a pinch, when the snow is less than a few inches, due to its lack thereof siping...

it's a choice you have to make, and decide what to compromise.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: antonmnster
Just put a set of PS AS/3s on my 07 335 sport/staggered. My first choice would have been regular PSSs but I expect to do a lot of driving to Chicago - I wanted the 45k warranty.

I'm sure you know, but the warranty is only half that for the rear in a staggered setup.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

I'm sure you know, but the warranty is only half that for the rear in a staggered setup.

I think for the rear the warranty is half but full warranty for the front, according to my local America's Tire manager. My S2000 has stagger tires, and I asked about tread-life warranty.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I think for the rear the warranty is half but full warranty for the front,

Isn't that essentially what I wrote?
smile.gif

I pulled the trigger and went for the P7's mainly on snow capability and glowing reviews by a few Subaru owners.

First non high/ultra performance all-season tire in 20 years!

Cool!

I wanted to chime in that we put Conti DW's (not DWS's) on our G35 and 528i at the same time. On both cars, they were the worst tires that had been run - mostly due to super soft sidewalls and noise.

I switched to Pilot Super Sports on the G35 and Pilot AS/3's on the 528i and have been happy with both. I think the AS/3 is really a 3 season tire.

These two cars do not like those DW's. Ironically, a much worse rated Continental tire came stock on the BMW, which worked great on the car. We also ran a set of ContiSports on our old Audi which worked well. I am not a continental hater, but I certainly didn't like the DWS. I also bought them due to the excellent reviews and ratings, so they must work well on some vehicles.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I think for the rear the warranty is half but full warranty for the front,

Isn't that essentially what I wrote?
smile.gif

Yes, it was exactly what you wrote. Somehow I skipped "for the rear", I only saw "the warranty is only half that in a staggered setup." Sorry Pete
cheers3.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back