Echo SRM-225 trimmer rated for 50 hours now!!

So there I was in Home Depot looking at the Echo string trimmers. I picked up the SRM-225, which is the lowest cost ($199) straight shaft trimmer. It used to be rated for 300 hours (commercial) but is now rated for only 50 hours (homeowner use).

When I got home I looked on the website and no where in the specs is it listed that the model went from 300 hours down to 50 hours. I did find a small little blurb in the frequently asked questions that said basically the model they sell to Home Depot is typically used by homeowners instead of contractors so it is now rated for 50 hours. Echo also states that they have not changed the engine in any way and it is just as durable as before, they just rate it differently. Probably did this to appease dealers that were losing a lot of sales to Home Depot. Apparently the SRM-225 model that is sold at dealers is still rated for 300 hours.

Anyone have any experience with this trimmer? I have the older model this one replaced (SRM-210) and it is an absolutely wonderful piece of equipment. Always starts in two pulls, not one single problem in 7 years of use.

SRM225-3.jpg

SRM-225.jpg

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Anyone have any experience with this trimmer? I have the older model this one replaced (SRM-210) and it is an absolutely wonderful piece of equipment. Always starts in two pulls, not one single problem in 7 years of use.

I will admit to being a pretty big Echo fanboy ever since I replaced a pair of broken Weed Eaters with a used Echo GT-200R many years ago...MANY years ago. I recently replaced that late-90s era GT-200R with a PAS-225, which is essentially the same thing as what you're considering, only the PAS (Pro Attachment Series) is the split-boom design. I bought my PAS-225 as a kit that included the power head, the straight shaft trimmer attachment, and edger attachment, from my local Echo dealer. I think I paid $299 for the kit, which I personally think is a better value than buying multiple pieces of equipment, and maintaining multiple engines.

That said, I don't think the blower attachments for these work that great, and I have an Echo ES-250, which is the "Shred 'n' Vac" blower/vacuum.

Both of my Echo products (well, all four if you include the GT-200R and the PE-230 edger that I had that got stolen) start easily and run like monsters. Do check also that the one you like at Home Depot is made in the United States, if that matters to you. Some of the Home Depot models are made in China. This may correlate to the lower emissions rating, but I'm not sure. Both of my Echos were made in the United States.

I think the Echo Power Blend oil works fine, but I've not run any of that through either of my new ones; they've both been run exclusively on 50:1 Tru Fuel and I really like how that fuel runs. It's super-clean, so there's no oily residue in the muffler and the fuel tanks stay nice and white/clear.

I bought this trimmer at home depot during this past winter right after purchasing my home. I'm completely satisfied with its performance. It seems to have way more power than I need. My yard isn't very big though and it is just used on light bermuda grass. I haven't even used a full bottle of trufuel through it over the last 5 months so I can't speak to the long term reliability. Starts up easily though.

So there I was in Home Depot looking at the Echo string trimmers. I picked up the SRM-225, which is the lowest cost ($199) straight shaft trimmer. It used to be rated for 300 hours (commercial) but is now rated for only 50 hours (homeowner use).

When I got home I looked on the website and no where in the specs is it listed that the model went from 300 hours down to 50 hours. I did find a small little blurb in the frequently asked questions that said basically the model they sell to Home Depot is typically used by homeowners instead of contractors so it is now rated for 50 hours. Echo also states that they have not changed the engine in any way and it is just as durable as before, they just rate it differently. Probably did this to appease dealers that were losing a lot of sales to Home Depot. Apparently the SRM-225 model that is sold at dealers is still rated for 300 hours.

SRM225-3.jpg

SRM-225.jpg

I find it hard to believe that one model number is rated for a different number of hours depending where its sold. Makes no sense. Echo would be crazy to do it.

Can someone explain what that hours rating is a measure of? A bit of a thread jack, but it would add value for those who don't know. I suspect it is a measure of the hours it still meets emissions requirements?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Can someone explain what that hours rating is a measure of? A bit of a thread jack, but it would add value for those who don't know. I suspect it is a measure of the hours it still meets emissions requirements?

Yep, its how long it will meet its emissions rating. I have a little plastic husky 141 saw(50hr rating) that has probably around 100 hrs and the saw still works fine, still has good compression, but the cat is definitely not working anymore, but the saw is still jetted quite lean so it doesn't smoke much anyways.
A string trimmer leads a pretty easy life typically, not run WO like a saw so I wouldn't worry to much about it. I bought a cheap jonsered lawn trimmer (GT 2128)on sale last year and its got a 50 hr rating too. I doubt I'll wear it out as I've got a brush cutter for the heavy duty jobs.

I love the Echo equipment....sounds like lawyers and politicians got involved, I'm sure it will last for years.

I wonder what the motivation is for them to rate any longer than the minimum of 50 hours. Carrots and sticks...

Originally Posted By: eljefino
I wonder what the motivation is for them to rate any longer than the minimum of 50 hours.

I'd say that, because it's generally believed that better quality or longer-lasting parts are used in longer rated models, the hour rating might influence someone to choose one model over another. If it's true that Echo believes that rating a $199 SRM-225 sold at Home Depot at 50 hours would help sell a $229 SRM-225 at the dealer rated at 300 hours, then maybe folks really do pay attention to those hour ratings.

Where did you find the hour ratings?
I looked at the ECHO web site and there were no hour ratings.
Didn't see any on the Home Depot site either.

On the Echo site it states 5 year homeowner use warranty and 1 year commercial use.

I have a SRM-225 and really like it. Always have used trufuel and it started on the first pull after resting all winter.

Last edited:
I have the SRM-225. Bought it ~2 years ago. It starts and runs good. Plenty of power for use around the house. But, when I compare it to my older Shindaiwa T165, there is no comparison...the Shindy has more power, is quick revving, and smoother running. But, that was a legendary model amongst the lawn maintenance professionals. The Echo srm225 gets used by a lot of lawn pro's these days due to the low price and reasonable performance/reliability/longevity/light weight value proposition.

Forgot to add....I bought mine at a dealer and vaguely remember some marketing concerning the 300 hr emissions life.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Reggaemon
Where did you find the hour ratings?
I looked at the ECHO web site and there were no hour ratings.
Didn't see any on the Home Depot site either.

I got it from the trimmers themselves. There is a sticker on the unit with model number, date of manufacture, and hour rating.

After more investigation, it appears that the engine on the 225 is made in China and shipped to USA for assembly into a full trimmer while all the larger Echo engines are made in USA/Japan.

Maybe the Home Depot models are made in China while the dealer models are made stateside?

After more investigation, it appears that the engine on the 225 is made in China and shipped to USA for assembly into a full trimmer while all the larger Echo engines are made in USA/Japan.

I seem to remember the smaller curved-shaft GT-225s had Chinese engines, but the SRM-225s had American engines. Maybe all of the 225-series models have Chinese engines now. I haven't looked at them in a year or two.

Maybe the Home Depot models are made in China while the dealer models are made stateside?

This could be also. Do you have an Echo dealer close to where you live?

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
I use, and recommend electric ones.

I use Echo, and recommend them. Electric is a joke.

I've also used Stihl, Shindaiwa, Tanaka, and Kawasaki and found them all to be excellent.

If I were to guess,,,

I'd say there is a valid, actual reason for the 50 hour rating. Either the catalytic converter is life limited, or the something about the engine is.

If the 50 hour engine is made in China, AND the 300 hour engine in Japan, I think we know the answer. Even Honda engines made in China often have a lower emissions hourly rating, when compared to their identical Japanese counterparts.

Why would Echo reduce the rating on a product unnecessarily?

Last edited:
I've been very pleased with everything echo I've ran.

I stopped off at a very trustworthy equipment shop today that has been an echo dealer for years and supplier for a lot of the local tree crews. Was looking at pas attachments bit decided to take a look at the srm-225's they had. All 50hr emissions stickers. Pas-225 power head also had a 50hr emissions sticker.

Started talking to one of the older mechanics and the owner about it. It seems the 50hr sticker has been rolling in for 6-10months on all of the 225 series engines. Echo says the engine has not changed since prior to sticker change and mechanic agreed that he's seen no changes.

They were told by echo and sent a letter as well that stated it was EPA mandated since the 225 series was geared towards homeowners (and over a certain % was sold/registered to individuals, not commercial users), the maximum emissions rating it could receive was 50hr. Could have been [censored] from the shop, but they really had no reason to lie about it. I tend to believe the mechanic on that the engine has not changed. They sell and service pretty much everything orange and red for OPE.

Obviously even with the 50hr rating, the 225's still have the 5yr consumer / 2yr commercial warranty. So i doubt they expect it to [censored] out any sooner than the 300hr stickered models.

I'd be inclined to believe the mechanic. If Echo targets consumers with a particular product, they can get away with the 50hr rating. The trick is to keep an eye out for them cutting corners. When part numbers begin to change, you know the manufacturer is lowering their standard that the EPA allows them to get away with. If the mechanic is honest (most small engine shops that are small are), they will let you know when it happens.

I will stay out of the discussion concerning quality/durability as I don't prefer their equipment personally and lack the expertise and experience with them. My Mantis saga has soured me to their equipment and it isn't fair to disregard an entire product line I've never used personally with my bias.

Back