Worst Tires Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: alreadygone
I'd love to see this thread die a well deserved death!!
NEVER been a tire made that didn't end up on somebody's $#it list!

Bob

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
happy2.gif

The one-radial-on-the-rear with three different brands of bias ply tires on the other three wheels (one was Atlas, one was Power King, the other I don't recall). I was in college at the time.

goodyear vectors-marketed as a rain tire.oem on my 86 dodge truck.would hydroplane in an eighth inch of water on a highway straightaway.
that said i had good luck with firestone 721 on a dodge 400.wore 3 outthe fourth was still on the car when i sold it after 4 years.

Originally Posted By: doubleclutch
Goodyear Wranglers OEM on a F-150 4X4 were the worst tires ever, replaced them with Michelin LTX M&S,and had to learn how to drive the truck again! In my opinion these are the best light truck tires on the market. I prefer Michelins for all my vehicle needs.
Ditto! Wranglers on my Durango. I replaced them with BF Goods Open Trails. Huge increase in snow traction.

Michelin HydroEdge! They were rated for 90k miles and had 6-7/32" of tread when replaced at 63k miles BUT, they were awful. With the directional design they made my car sound like an airplane going down the road. One tire (which was replaced about 13k miles in due to road damage) was defective and cupped which no tires have done on my car before, and the tire on the same side didn't do it either after rotations. They also dry rotted and had cracks on them, eventually getting a small hole in the sidewall from the dry rot and going flat.

They were replaced with Pirelli Cinturato P7s and I haven't looked back to the Michelin garbage!

For me its been a set of OEM tires on a 2000 Sentra SE. They were Firestone Firehawks GTA-02. They were as loud as A/T tires on a truck, hard riding like an off-roading tire, and driving in light rain above 40 MPH was a white knuckle ordeal. Heavy rain, stay home.

A perfect example of a tire made for the sole purpose of rolling a car off the assembly line and onto the dealers lot, and nothing else.

At less than 3K miles, I had grazed a curb while doing a three point turn on a back street. I got out to see if I scuffed the wheel; no damage at all to the wheel, but the minor bump peeled a chunk of the sidewall. Firestone wouldn't replace the tire, so I went and bought some Zeon ZPT's.

Bridgestone potenza re92 if you can call them tires....they had horrible traction in all conditions, attract bolts and nails like no other.....but what do you expect from any factory installed tire? The yokohamas i put on were night and day difference.

-- One of the Michelins from years ago, also one of the Big-O line of tires... both terrible wet traction.
-- Goodyear Tripletred. Wore out fast but okay wet traction.
-- Interco Mudder's. Lots of flats but I was always off road 4WD back then. Weird how they find sharp objects off road, including a rusty combination wrench about 7/16" I got stuck in the one of the tires one time. Probably landed on it from up in the air.

Kelly Chargers. I had to find out from friends that I was unknowingly and unintentionally performing silent burnouts every time I pulled away in my stock Fox Mustang. I really wasn't getting on it hard. Things just had no grip.

Highway driving in the rain felt more like driving a jet ski.

In an effort to "Buy American" I bought a set of Goodyear G800's. One of GY's 1st radials. I'd been driving 40K mi year w/VW's & Porsche 356 on Semperit, Vredestein & Michelin. Had tires installed w/stock air pressure, drove them a couple of miles, cranked them up to Autocross Air Pressure & drove a few miles & then back to dealer where I had purchased them & left the car until they could be replaced with Vreds or Semperit which they had to order. Haven't bought any US brand tires since except when purchasing used car. Am now a firm believer in Nokian both snows & summer tires.

Originally Posted By: stuffinder
In an effort to "Buy American" I bought a set of Goodyear G800's. One of GY's 1st radials. I'd been driving 40K mi year w/VW's & Porsche 356 on Semperit, Vredestein & Michelin. Had tires installed w/stock air pressure, drove them a couple of miles, cranked them up to Autocross Air Pressure & drove a few miles & then back to dealer where I had purchased them & left the car until they could be replaced with Vreds or Semperit which they had to order. Haven't bought any US brand tires since except when purchasing used car. Am now a firm believer in Nokian both snows & summer tires.

My Cherokee came with Nokian Vatiiva A/Ts on it. Those were, by far, the BEST snow tire I have run. And they weren't even a snow tire!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back