Rotella T5 10W40 availability

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't find Rotella T5 10W40 on the shelf anywhere. Walmart has 10W30 and the local parts stores seem to be pushing the new 15W40. Where should I look?

TSC opened a store near my new home (I used to live in the country) so I'll check them out. Since NAPA wants $25/gallon for it the Amazon price with free shipping isn't bad.

But Walmart's price on the T6 5W40 is $20/gal so I might switch to that (the applications are gasoline engines that normally call for 10W30, but summers here get a bit too hot for 30.)

Tractor Supply HAD it... went on clearance. I was able to pick it up for $5 per gallon. Yup, filled my stash and emptied the store.

I can't figure out why this is not widely available.

WM still has T5-10w30, jugs dated 2015 Feb. Bought two at $15 each. After reviewing manufacturer guidelines for the two vehicles I decided to stick with 30 weight.

Since many other stores only want to stock the T5 in 15w40 now, any ideas if Shell might discontinue the 10w30? What I bought yesterday was recent production, but i have no idea when they announced the 15w40 T5.

Here's what I saw at the local TSC: imgur album

Still glad I went to TSC, found out my son really likes the store, and they have the 2.5 gals of T-15w40 which I run in the BMWs. I think I might pay a few $ more over WM just to get the big bottles - they will be useful as waste oil containers, or to save the old oil from an upcoming ATF flush I am planning until I'm satisfied that new ATF doesn't cause problems.

Originally Posted By: KDonkey
I can't figure out why this is not widely available.

WM still has T5-10w30, jugs dated 2015 Feb. Bought two at $15 each. After reviewing manufacturer guidelines for the two vehicles I decided to stick with 30 weight.

Since many other stores only want to stock the T5 in 15w40 now, any ideas if Shell might discontinue the 10w30? What I bought yesterday was recent production, but i have no idea when they announced the 15w40 T5.

Here's what I saw at the local TSC: imgur album

Still glad I went to TSC, found out my son really likes the store, and they have the 2.5 gals of T-15w40 which I run in the BMWs. I think I might pay a few $ more over WM just to get the big bottles - they will be useful as waste oil containers, or to save the old oil from an upcoming ATF flush I am planning until I'm satisfied that new ATF doesn't cause problems.

I hope they are not going to roll it back...I have a hard enough time finding a 10w30 (state contract availability issue) so the more 10w30 out there, the better.

As far as why T5 went 15-40... sales is my guess. I bet the average diesel buyer is the "thicker is better crowd" so it just did not sell well. Some of the 10w40 jugs were extremely dusty when I cleaned them out.

Well, you have to look at markets. The lion's share of HDEO that they make is going for commercial and agriculture use. The personal vehicle crowd is just a drop in the bucket compared to the commercial users. And that being said, 15w40 has reigned supreme for a long time with most of that market and will for the foreseeable future. Some forward thinking fleets and others are slowly moving toward 10w30, and some individual heavy truck users are dong the 5w40 thing, but 15w40 is still the king of the hill. There are over 2.5 million commercial trucks running the U.S. at any given time. Most of those are on 15w40, with oil sump capacities that make diesel pickup owners more like lawn mower engines. It is the market. And I didn't factor in the heavy construction equipment crowd nor the farming crowd. That takes the stats to a whole new level compared to pickup and auto diesel owners. Rotella, Chevron, Mobil, et al are going to provide the bulk of what they sell to cater to those markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back