How do you replace the spark plug tube seals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2008 Civic, R18A1 engine.

These spark plug gaskets seem to be separate from the valve cover, and I can't figure out how to replace them!

most of the time, the tube seals are inside the valve cover, but not on this car!

I can't find any instructions anywhere about this! even the Honda FSM service manual has nothing about replacing these seals!

I know you probably have to take the valve cover off anyway, which I was still going to do to replace the valve cover gasket.

The plugs are covered in oil.

Om my Subaru, you talk the valve cover off and the shell with seal is held in place by the spark plug. You must take the valve cover off to remove the tube seal. Ed

you have to get a flathead screwdriver to carefully pry these seals off, just like you'd normally pry the crank/cam seals off.

Be careful not to scratch/nick the sealing surface, for it will cause leaks.

Q.

Also: make sure you oil/grease the fresh new seal's lip(where it meets the tube), otherwise: you might damage the lip.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Usually you have to take the valve cover off and replace that seal as well IIRC.

yeah I know that, but once the cover is off, where are the seals?

Most engines have them on the valve cover, but this engine seems to be different.

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog
2008 Civic, R18A1 engine.

These spark plug gaskets seem to be separate from the valve cover, and I can't figure out how to replace them!

Remove the coil pack. The seal is item #3 in the image below. It's about $23 online (plus shipping and taxes) at Majestic Honda.

The valve cover seal is separate from the plug seals, and is on a different image.

SVA4E0500.gif

Image comes from this link:
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto...COIL+%281.8L%29

Is that #3 part of the coil? How does that have anything to do with preventing oil? When you pull the coil out, that seal has to come out with it. Otherwise, how do you put a wrench on the spark plug. I am confused.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Is that #3 part of the coil? How does that have anything to do with preventing oil?

The only way I can see is this: If the valve cover gasket is leaking, it is possible for oil to dribble past the plug-well seal and into the plug well.

OP ought to be able to check that easily by pulling a coil pack, which appears to require removing one bolt.

@Tegger, thanks for that diagram!

It looks like you just unscrew the big nut around the tube after taking out the coil, right?

The oil was on the top part of the plug. Not the electrode, but the part you see when you first remove the coil.

Of course, it's possible the electrodes were covered in oil, too, but this usually burns off. I found those stupid 4-pring Bosch Platinum +4 plugs on the car, which I replaced with the correct NGK Iridium plugs #5266.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back