MicroGard Vs. Wix - Any Real Differences?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
I've heard the MicroGard filters are rebadged Wix filters, even O'Reilly's employees say they are.

But are they really the same thing? The only reason I'm asking is they're only like $3.79 and if they're the same as a Wix I might use them on some cars that get short OCIs.

They are more like the Napa Silver filters. Made by WIX.. Similar in construction, but different media. Most have the bypass/ ADBV combo design too.

Look for a WIX cartridge filter and compare that to the MG equivalent. The media color is different (like that matters?), but the pleat count is nearly identical. They should be able to do 3k-5k without any issues at all.

Good entry level filter nonetheless. I'd use them in my Jeep if it wasnt so picky, but I use them in other things too.

Only difference I saw on the one I had was the MG used a rubber adbv and the Wix had a silicone adbv.

If you go with the MG,make sure you look at it closely. At least for my car,Oreilly still has the old (Fram) and new (Wix) ones in stock.

I've seen them with Wix construction, Fram (OCOD clone) construction, and E-Core construction.

Guess it depends on the application, The boxes actually show the construction of each. The Wix is the best, the Fram OCOD clone is serviceable, the E-Core is not something I would use.

Most MG filters are 50% cheaper. In fact, the WIX for our Kubota is 12.xx while the MG is $4.xx. 50-100 hr intervals.. it'll do fine.

Silicone ADBV's are over rated anyways. From what Ive seen (heard.
smile.gif
), the nitrile performs just as well in the winter. The only benefit to the silicone would be not hardening from extended intervals. (several hot/ cold cycles)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back