Question regarding engine oil for Mercedes Benz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mobil 1 0-w40 (European formula) as in most recent MB Owners Manuals

Avail at Wal*Mart also at most AutoMotive stores.

Why not just use Mobil 1? Meets MB specs unlike T6. There's also a rebate mentioned in this thread and it's about $24.88 at Walmart now for a 5 quart jug, so about $12.88 after rebate:

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3650954/Mobil_1_rebate,_maybe?#Post3650954

Originally Posted By: Electrajoe
Mobil 1 0-w40 (European formula) as in most recent MB Owners Manuals

Avail at Wal*Mart also at most AutoMotive stores.

I've had some great UOAs with the M1 0W40 in the S600. I'd recommend you go with that over the Rotella.

Originally Posted By: suleman
Can I use Shell Rotella T6 in a 2012 S550.

Why? Why? Why? Why? Why?
MB recommends M1 0W40. It is one of the best oils for high performance gasser there. It meets MB229.5, which is a BIG deal. Rotella does not.
If you want more deposits in engine, more oil shear, consumption (higher NOACK), yes go ahead with T6.
By the way, M1 0W40, is few steps on the right in Wal mart on the self, actually cheaper for 5qt than T6.

So Electrajoe, the oil cap says 5w40. Is it ok if I put in 0w-40?

YES!
It is W40 oil! First number shows cold start viscosity.

Ok Edyvw that does make sense. I will forget about Shell and stick to M1

You can hardly go better than that!

Originally Posted By: edyvw

Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 is this an alternative ?

Better value than M1 in OZ on a price per 5L jug comparison.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: virginoil
Originally Posted By: edyvw

Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40 is this an alternative ?

Better value than M1 in OZ on a price per 5L jug comparison.

Shell Helix is not available in the U.S. Shell product in the U.S. for cars iz Pennzoil. For reasons known only to them, Pennzoil and marketing/sale is really ridiculous. If you find it in the store it is $9+ for a bottle, while M1 and Castrol are going for $26 in Wal Mart for 5qt jug.
If you need Full-SAPS oil, you cannot beat that price and what you get for it.

I'm new to this oil thing. Can you can explain me difference between 5w and 0w. What do you mean by cold start.

They are both the same (At least by definition) down to about -30F. 0W is more pumpable below that. The lower the W number, the lower the oil remains pourable and pumpable. They are (By definition) close to equivalent when warm (Above 100F).

0W oils tend to be made of somewhat better base stock (Though not always). But, there is no downside to using a high quality 0W over a 5W.

I'm new to this oil thing. Can you can explain me difference between 5w and 0w. What do you mean by cold start.

The number in front of the W is the cold temp performance of the lubricant measured at extremely cold temperatures. The two tests employed are CCS and MRV; Cold Cranking Simulator and Mini Rotary Viscometer.

As an oil cools it get heavier, once around the -10 to -15C range, the viscosity will basically double for every 5C drop in temperature measured using either CCS or MRV (the numbers are not interchangeable between the two methods).

There are limits imposed for each Winter (W) classification for both CCS and MRV for a given temperature as per SAE J300:

SAEJ3002009.JPG

Basically, a 0w-xx thickens less as the temperature drops than a 5w-xx, which thickens less than a 10w-xx....etc. However, as long as you are within the range that is acceptable for a given grade (as per the chart above) the oil will pump and performance between that lubricant and one with a better W rating is not overly important unless you have a weak battery or an engine that has an issue moving extremely heavy oil due to a design issue.

If you want to picture it, think of a graph with the CCS viscosity along the one axis and temperature from 0C down to -35 on the other. At the beginning of the graph the viscosity of the two plots will be very similar but as you get down further the curve for the oil with the poorer W rating will begin to get sharper as it meets the CCS limit for its grade at a higher temperature. The lubricant with the better W rating will have a more progressive curve as it will be under 6,200cP @ -35C.

Like it is already explained, at more extreme temperatures, 0W will have better pumpability. The other number, W40, means that at 100c, those oils have very similar characteristics (in the range for W40 oils).
Now, 0W40 and 5W40 oils are usually made for huge majority of European cars, light and heavy duty diesel engines. They are made usually from much better base stocks than 10W40, 10W30 or regular 5W30 synthetics (unless the are 5W30 or 0W30 synthetics designed for European or some other performance cars).
When it come sot Euro gasoline engines, in 99% of cases 0W40 or 5W40 are oils to go with. Considering their price in Wal Mart, it is no brainer for your Mercedes (M1 and Castrol). You can go with Castrol 0W30 which you can buy in Auto Zone. It is really good oil and interesting grade. Might be good option if you live in really cold area. But, price does not justify benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back