Mobil 1 vs Valvoline Synthetic ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DR1

I just saw a valvoline commercial on tv. Valvoline claims they have 40% wear protection additive than Mobil 1. Your thoughts?

When you're on top, everybody takes shots

Pennzoil Platinum Ultra keeps pistons up to 25% cleaner than M1 and 35% cleaner than SynPower...according to their own tests

Castrol Edge is three times stronger against viscosity breakdown than the leading synthetic and leading conventional oils, including M1 and M1 EP...according to their own tests

I won't even get started with Amsoils claims.

All of these are solid choices, but I wouldn't put any of them above M1 nor really below M1.

Originally Posted By: gregk24
Marketing
Yup, everybody says they're the best, but it's impossible for everybody to be able to have better wear protection than each other.

I saw the same, but to be honest, I am not sure what they are attempting to prove with the graphic--it does not really show anything definitive.

But if we were talking about Fram,all the Fram lovers would say they could not say it if it wasn't true!!!

Top shelf oils are all comparable.

I read an article where a question was posed to Porsche asking which oil was best in their engines.
Their response was if a lubricant is certified for use in their engines then use it. They implied that all certified products were satisfactory and considered equal so if Porsche says a certified oil is equal to another brands certified oil who am I to say otherwise.
Certification is the key. Not meets or exceeds.

Greg is right that it's marketing. I believe Valvoline could have a point however. I used Valvoline Synpower more than any other oil in a WRX I once owned. I bought the WRX new, modded it, increasing the PSI from the turbo, drag raced the car, drove it like I stole it and sold it with the original turbo with 136K on it.

What was the deal a few years back when M1 had some formulation problems and was *supposedly* engine causing wear? Was that fact or urban legend?

Have you ever really given any thought to what 30 percent cleaner really means? Do you weigh the scrapings of carbon or what? Must be in grams. If it is in grams, we are talking small , small data.

Marketing will get you every-time--you see when they, whoever they is or are, uses 30 percent cleaner, your mind sees this huge number like in ounces or pounds and walla, we buy into it,,,imho. It is a great marketing tool, been working for a 100 years or more.....

This topic has been beaten to death. Look closely at the claims, they aren't claiming to be better than M1, they're saying they did 40% better in one test, and then trying to imply that they're therefore better.

Most of the other claims are purely based on the fact that MaxLife full synthetic is SN rated, versus M1 HM which is SL rated. So they use that make claims like how MaxLife is safe to use in all modern vehicles and will not void your warranty, and imply that M1 HM is not allowed in some vehicles (because the owners manual states to use SM or newer oil, whereas M1 HM is SL rated).

Really look at the claims, they have them listed on the Valvoline website, they really aren't saying anything major. It becomes kind of laughable when you really take a look into them and understand what they're actually saying.

I really like MaxLife full synthetic, but I have no doubt about M1 HM's ability to lubricate and protect a vehicle's engine.

Both are great oils: Mobil 1 and Valvoline Synthetics, I look at (and measure) alot of bearings out of Race Motors I build here. So I take the Motor oil they use very seriously. Also The Valvoline Synthetic VR race oils are way underated, their "Blue oil works well"

I'm personally a fan of Valvoline products as they have generally been some of the best oils I've used in the class (dino/syn blend). Talking without much experience, I would hazard a guess that M1 fully sythetics are generally better than Valvoline's synthetics from what I've seen from many UOAs, Valvoline's aren't really recommended for extended intervals and usually have a low TBN, but still always return good wear results so I'd be happy with either.
I don't think it's worth putting a full synthetic in my car so I use either Durablend or Engine Armor (Valvoline's cheaper syn blend here slotting between XLD and Durablend) these have been much better for me than those of other brands I've used like Castrol and Shell etc.
valvoline generally do an excellent job of keeping up to date with API ratings, with every single oil they sell here above XLD is SN rated, making them an attractive option for people with new cars. I've seen many other brands still with SG, SJ, SL and a lot of SM ratings.

Synpower seems inferior to M1, edge, and PP.

Their 5w30 doesn't even have A5/B5 or HTO-06 that the other three do.

The only time I use Synpower is when it goes on sale at Napa for $3.79

Until there is data that one oil will make my engine last longer or run better, I'll assume they're all the same.

Both good oils, i like both and i honestly believe both will take and engine farther than most of us will ever drive it. Oil Related failures are almost non-existent these days. Most cars on the road are running around on bulk Valvoline or pennzoil conventionals around here and i never hear of and engine failing from oil type. Both Synpower and regular M1 are equals in my book. Both are excellent high grade oils.

Originally Posted By: lawnguy
I just saw a valvoline commercial on tv. Valvoline claims they have 40% wear protection additive than Mobil 1. Your thoughts?

If Mobil 1 doesn't challenge this claim then I would assume that it's true.

Got to say that I ran 5000+ miles oil change on Valvoline Blend MaxLife and it came out pretty darned heavy still.I have ran oils before that rushed out like water at 3K.And this is after the terrible winter we had here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back