Michelin vs. Pirelli

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's that time. My 1999 BMW is ready for the third set of tires and I am going to buy tomorrow and I'd like to hear opinions if anyone has tried either of these two tires:
Pirelli Cinturato P7 all-season OR the Michelin Premier A/S.

The tires will cost me the same price but the Michelin has a $70 mail-in rebate and the Pirelli has a $60 dollar rebate. Michelin has the reputation but the Pirelli is just plain sexy.

Before I drop $529.34 on four new tires, does anyone have an opinion?

BTW, they're 205/55-16 91H.

P7 or P7 plus?

Which BMW neither of those are very sporty at all.

Last edited:
The Pirelli is the all-season plus. I'm not buying them for a sporty tire but I am wanting something that is a good all-season performer. The car is a 1999 323i that is my wife's transportation. This car is 16 years old and has accumulated a mere 82,000 miles so I'm more interested in a tire that performs well in the daily commuting environment.

I went in to look at the Pirelli because it rated so highly on the TireRack web page but once I saw the tire I realized that it is a directional design and I didn't really want that. It limits my rotation capability.

The Michelin was a much more expensive tire but he offered it to me for the same price but I have read many mixed reviews an that sort of scares me.

This car keeps a set of tires in place for approx. 8 years so I want something that will serve the purpose.

We have the Pirelli P7 Cinturato A/S + in the same size 205-55-16 91H, on the Mazda 3 in my signature. They're a very nice tire for this car. And even though we use General AltiMAX Arctic for the winter on the Mazda 3, we did get caught in a snowstorm from PA to NY and they did very well.

In the summer(or should I say, 3 seasons) they are very, very quiet and smooth with great hydroplaning resistance(similar to my P4's) and are about all we could ask for.

I can't answer for the P7's limit of performance driving or their limit in the wet. They just do all we ask!

The tire rack has very good videos on both the Pirelli and Michelin in their road test and winter!

Last edited:
This is why I'm torn between the two. I know the Pirelli is an excellent tire and it was at the very top of my want list. But I just had to go crawling around the Discount Tire inventory rack.

Another oddity about the Michelin is that the new tread depth is only 8/32nds compared to a normal 10 or 11/32nds. It has some strange groove that gets wider as the tire wears so I suspect that in order to maintain shoulder strength they had to decrease the groove depth. Is this an issue? I have no idea.

One other thing is that I can get 4 of the Michelin with the same date stamp. The Pirelli that they have in stock were made over the course of nearly 6 months. I like to try to keep my batch numbers the same.

I know of only three reasons not to get a Michelin:

1. They don't make the right kind of tire in your size.

2. You absolutely cannot scrape together the money for the up-front cost, regardless of the long-term benefit.

3. You'll keep the tire on the car for YEARS and park it in direct sunlight every day (possible rubber cracking on some models -- no idea how bad this problem actually is, but including it because the possibility gives some people nightmares).

Barring that, always buy the Michelin. 99.99% chance it's just the better tire. Never seen an exception in an apples-to-apples comparison.

I don't think you'd go wrong either way.
Your stated price doesn't sound bad for four top-tier A/S tires.
I'd lean toward the Michelins, but that's just based on age-old experience.
I've owned both brands in the past and both were pretty decent in various models of tire.
I'd bet that the Michelins would wear better, though.

Michelin are the greatest tires in the world. Everybody who reads this forum knows that.

Last edited:
I just put four of the Pirelli's on my Accord.
First impressions are that they are a nice tire.
Certainly improved the handling of the car and are a much quieter tire than the OEM's.
For the money, I doubt that they can be beat.
You may want to price them out from a Ford dealer. I got an extra $50. in rebate for using a Ford Service CC + they will match or beat any price. Took their price to a Discount Tire and they could not match it.

Discount Tire (a local store) had the Pirelli for $118 each. The TireRack (mail order) had the tire for $106. So Discount Tire said they'd match the TireRack price and so the Pirelli Cinturato P7 all-season plus came to $106 plus their fees.

Going through their inventory we came across a few other tires and the Michelin Premier A/S showed up at $133.00. I questioned him about them because I'd never seen them before and the salesman stated that they were a relatively new product and that they were replacing another item in the Michelin product line. He said that if I was interested he'd sell them to me for $106 also.

I am replacing a completely worn out set of BFGoodrich Radial T/A tires that were summer only and rode like a truck tire. They stuck like glue but they were completely misapplied in my application.

I think I'll go with the Michelin just to try them out. When I replace the tires on my Volkswagen I'll get the Pirelli and then I can compare the two.

I appreciate the input from everyone.

Tdbo, what price did you pay for your Pirellis at the Ford dealer? And what size did you get?

I have the P7 plus' and they are ok. Not the best or the worst..they are wearing faster than they should..down to 6-7 32's after two seasons..max 30-35k kms total..for a 700 rated tire id expect double the life..i do think michelin is likely a better choice in terms of generalizing..personally im going to look at other brands next. Maybe continental's or bridgestones.

I can only comment with regard to each of the brands' motorcycle tires. I had used Pirelli's exclusively on my Ducati up until the last tire change. Switched to Michelins. After 2000 miles with the Michelins I want my Pirelli's back. The front Michelin is squaring off already.

Go for the Pirelli. I've got a set of the Pirelli Cinturato P7's on my car in the same 205/55-16 size - fantastic tire. I've had them for 3.5 months and 5,600 miles and they are 1000x better than the Michelins I replaced. Te Michelins were dry rotting, had flat spots, and were so loud my car sounded like an airplane. I've never had a good experience with a Michelin tire.

Originally Posted By: FowVay
Tdbo, what price did you pay for your Pirellis at the Ford dealer? And what size did you get?

215 60 R 16's. Price after rebates for everything was $469.00 OTD.

I've got the Michelins on my car, put them on last October. The moment I drove the car after putting them on, I could immediately tell that they were slower. My 0-60 time is slower, the amount of gas I need to use is higher, and as a result my MPG average has dropped rather considerably. If I had to guess, I'm probably averaging a couple MPG less than I was with the old tires. My car is a non-turbo Subaru, so it's not like I had extra power to spare before putting the tires on. So that's my biggest complaint about the tires.

On the plus side, handling has been good, braking is good, I've had no problems with them in the rain, and on smooth surfaces they're very soft and quiet. However, on concrete with series of horizontal grooves in the road, they have a very loud whirl sound. It reminds me of a jet engine if you adjust your speed, because you can hear it spool up and down along with your speed.

I was upset with the tire because of the loss of power, but then I got to drive them in snow and ice, and that was the saving grace of the tire. I drove on ice without issue (obviously you can't be stupid, but the car was able to drive without a hint of hesitation to get started). I've driven through heavy slushy roads without feeling anything different. Then about a month ago we got 8+ inches of snow, and I drove though that with ease. That was vastly different than the stock tires which wanted to have the back end slip out every time you took a turn.

Ultimately, I wish I had gone with the Continental tires, but the good winter performance saves me from being disappointed with my purchase.

If you live in an area where dedicated winter tires don't make sense, and you're willing to give up a little bit of power/MPG, then the Michelins will serve you well. If however you're not willing to give up any power/MPG, then I suggest trying the Pirellis.

Dude, how the heck can a tire make your car slower? Were they 50lbs heavier each? Were they a different diameter reducing the mechanical advantage of your differential?

LRR tires can effect a small change in fuel economy but they certainly aren't advertised as a power booster, LOL!!
grin.gif

I put the Michelin Premier AS 205/55-16 on my Subaru Impreza.
They didn't make the car feel any slower or faster just rougher riding over the other tires I've used on this car.

Don't know if the gas mileage changed, The Subie always sucked gas, I don't want to know how bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back