Amsoil HDD 5w-30, 14,182 mi., 2003 Jetta ALH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Latest UOA on my 2003 Jetta TDI, running Amsoil Series 3000 HDD 5w-30 over 14,182 miles and 4 months. Make up oil was ¾-quart, added approximately 9,000 miles into this interval. The filter was a Mahle OX143D cartridge, and it came out great as always.

The lead spike I saw over the previous two UOAs seems to have resolved itself. Blackstone recommended keeping this interval between 10k and 13k miles, to monitor the lead level - I ran a little longer to just over 14k.

The increase in viscosity is a little concerning though, and I don’t know if I agree with Blackstone’s theory that leftover 5w-40 (Rotella T6) from the previous fill is to blame. I take care to drain the sump and filter housing thoroughly through the drain plug, so I can’t imagine there is enough old oil left over to affect viscosity. Besides, the earlier sample dated 3-9-2014 was also a run of HDD 5w-30 after Rotella T6, and while viscosity was to the high side then it wasn’t as high as this run.

Current fill is Amsoil EFM Full-SAPS Euro 5w-40 with another Mahle OX143D filter. I plan to extend this interval further, to 16k, per Blackstone's recommendation.

03_JETTA_031215_Page_1.jpg

Originally Posted By: R80RS

The increase in viscosity is a little concerning though, and I don’t know if I agree with Blackstone’s theory that leftover 5w-40 (Rotella T6) from the previous fill is to blame. I take care to drain the sump and filter housing thoroughly through the drain plug, so I can’t imagine there is enough old oil left over to affect viscosity.

Based on my past OCIs with my 03 Golf ALH, there is still over 10% residual oil left in the engine after a sump drain and the filter housing Mityvac-ed.

Last edited:
TBN of 7.0 and decent wear metals? I would have changed the oil filter and run it another 10K miles!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back