Excessive wheel weights?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is the closest thing the tires have to red "dots" (bottom right):
2015-04-04%2013.00.15_zpsuokrtcpn.jpg

As you can see in the picture, the dot is pretty close to the valve stem. They are all within 90 degrees of the valve stems, even on the tire without any stick-on weights.

The red dot has no relationship to the valve stem... it marks the stiff spot of the tire... nothing to do with weight.

And many tire shops and pre-delivery techs will give the dots a quick buff , because some people think their "ugly..."

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Originally Posted By: NMBurb02

The pictured wheel is on the passenger rear and also has a 1.25 oz flange weight on the inner lip, about 45 degrees forward of the stick on weights. So it has a total of 5.75 oz of weights.

There's something up, like a bent wheel. They knew it was a turkey from all the weight it took and that the right rear is the place to put them as the driver will feel any effect the least.

While they might alert the customer about bent wheels, the customer usually could care less, so the tech/ management develop a "learned helplessness" to the issue.

You could go back on a quiet day, and ask, 'sup?

Spot on. Anytime there is an oddball wheel/tire I was taught to put it on the pass rear as it is the furthest from the driver and will be te toughest to feel.

But if you're not feeling anything i would just leave it and actually be glad they did a good job on it. I would wager the rim has a little bend to it. 4.25 isn't outragous for a bent rim but sometimes just the way things line up(as it's been stated) will throw some decent weight.

You can always drive on the tires for 500 miles or so and have them reblanaced as all tires should probably be rebalanced 500 miles after initial purchase because the got broken in.

These wheels have never required so much weight during balancing and I do not know of any trauma that may have bent two wheels. I think they probably did the opposite of match mounting (which they say on their website is important) and matched up the heavy spots on the two wheels and tires.

I can't take it in for a re-balance for another two weeks so I guess they will have some time to break in.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Kestas
I agree with eljefino that flange weights would have been more efficient, being farther from the axis.

This is part of the problem. The position is exaggerating the amount of weight. This would probably be like 2-2.5oz if it was on the flange.

btw, Ive match mounted tires to wheels and don't remember ever getting more than .25-.5oz off. Wheels just don't contribute a significant amount of imbalance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back