6.4 Hemi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, new here. Bought a new Ram power wagon with the 6.4 hemi in it a couple months ago.. As I understand it Pennzoil Ultra ( or is it ultra platinum?) 0W-40 is factory fill . I dont know a whole lot about synthetics, I've never used them. I run CenPeCo in my farm tractors and used a lighter grade of that in my 08 f250 (5.4 motor).

Is the Pennzoil pretty decent stuff? I understand its one of the few if not only oil that meets the Chrysler MS-12633 spec for my pickup.

Thanks.

First! I would recommend using the spec oil! To Help reassure any God Forbid warranty work if needed.

Pennzoil 0W-40 will be hard to find! If you have it locally You are one of the lucky ones! Most have to order it on line==>Amazon or Ebay!

It has proved to be a very robust oil and Very Good!
The whole Pennzoil Line it top notch!

My opinion-->If you can't find 0W-40? You can use a 30Wt! If the 6.4L is going to be worked hard--> I would definitely try to stick with a 40Wt.

There are many 6.4L owners here! You will get many opinions and good advice!

Distributors, ebay, and amazon are your friends if you want to find Pennzoil 0W40. Often it can be found for 50 bucks for a case of 6 or less.

Dealerships often charge quite a bit more but give the parts department where you bought your power wagon. One dealership around here was selling PU 0W40 at 6.25 a quart. Autozone in Yuma AZ has it also but I did not even pay attention what the price point was.

Originally Posted By: treatylinefarms
Hello, new here. Bought a new Ram power wagon with the 6.4 hemi in it a couple months ago.. As I understand it Pennzoil Ultra ( or is it ultra platinum?) 0W-40 is factory fill . I dont know a whole lot about synthetics, I've never used them. I run CenPeCo in my farm tractors and used a lighter grade of that in my 08 f250 (5.4 motor).

Is the Pennzoil pretty decent stuff? I understand its one of the few if not only oil that meets the Chrysler MS-12633 spec for my pickup.

Thanks.

For warranty, you're right in that few oils mention the MS-12633 spec. In my opinion, Castrol Edge 0w-40 or Mobil 1 0w-40 in jugs at Walmart are just as good. Does the manual say you have to use the Ultra????

Found this: "The manufacturer recommends the use of Pennzoil UltraTM 0W-40 or
equivalent MOPAR® engine oil meeting the requirements of Chrysler
Material Standard MS-12633 for use in all operating temperatures."

So its not required. Use Castrol, M1, or the magical Pennzoil, all are great oils.

Last edited:
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 0w40 is "good stuff," but its only now making appearances on store shelves. Mobil 1 0w40 is much more common and was the original factory-fill for the 6.1 Hemi when the Challenger/Charger/300 SRT was introduced. With the Fiat merger, Chrysler switched factory fill contracts to SOPUS, so Pennzoil became the choice.

The 12633 spec is kinda silly- its a taxi fleet endurance test that any good API SN oil should easily pass. If you absolutely want to stick to the recommendation to use an oil that meets that spec, currently Pennzoil Ultra 0w40 and Amsoil Signature Series 0w40 are about your only choices. The rumor mill says M1 and others will soon carry it. The real world says M1 is already every bit as good.

I kind of figured Mobil 1 would soon carry the spec, lots of folks I know use it and like it. Napa just had a special on it that I missed because I wasn't sure about the spec, should've came here sooner I guess.

I'm sitting at about 2200 miles now, I'll probably change it soon before things really get busy here for spring. It's probably unnecessary but I'm creeping up on 100 hours. I've never let a brand new engine go that long in anything else, but this is my first new truck.

( car seats don't fit well in a regular cab)

Mobil 1 0W-40 is the "equivalent" of Pennzoil's (double-the-price) OEM fluid and what I'd use with confidence. OEM oil filter is also smart to use when under warranty, so as to avoid undo attention at the dealership.

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Mobil 1 0W-40 is the "equivalent" of Pennzoil's (double-the-price) OEM fluid and what I'd use with confidence. OEM oil filter is also smart to use when under warranty, so as to avoid undo attention at the dealership.

Could they really blame a warranty problem with the engine internals on using Mobil 1 0w-40 and say a Fram Ultra oil filter? Like said above, the 12633 is just a fleet taxi test.

To be on the safe side you could just buy the 12633 oil on Amazon or elsewhere, and a lame Mopar oil filter.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fredfactory

Could they really blame a warranty problem with the engine internals on using Mobil 1 0w-40 and say a Fram Ultra oil filter? Like said above, the 12633 is just a fleet taxi test.

I'm betting they won't... but that's my choice and I don't necessarily suggest everyone make the same bet. True oil-related failures are very, very rare. Its not so much Chrysler the corporation (now FCA) that would be likely to do it, it would be a dealer and then you'd have to try to get FCA on your side against the dealer. Which happens fairly often if you follow the Challenger forums. FCA seems to be really trying to rein in dealers and improve the dealership image, but they're limited in what they can do since they don't actually OWN the dealerships.

Originally Posted By: treatylinefarms

Thanks.

For warranty, you're right in that few oils mention the MS-12633 spec. In my opinion, Castrol Edge 0w-40 or Mobil 1 0w-40 in jugs at Walmart are just as good. Does the manual say you have to use the Ultra????

Found this: "The manufacturer recommends the use of Pennzoil UltraTM 0W-40 or
equivalent MOPAR® engine oil meeting the requirements of Chrysler
Material Standard MS-12633 for use in all operating temperatures."

So its not required. Use Castrol, M1, or the magical Pennzoil, all are great oils.

This. If it were my truck, I'd be running M1 0w40.

This is a near perfect strategy, as few stealerships are ever going to actually analyze the oil itself...

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

This is a near perfect strategy, as few stealerships are ever going to actually analyze the oil itself...

If you change oil yourself and want the magical Pennzoil 0w-40, a very good oil of course, Amazon will ship it to you for free with a free Fram Ultra oil filter thrown in!!!!
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3691670#Post3691670
EDIT: You have to get the http://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550040856...A4N1JEZH8HY4R33

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8

If you change oil yourself and want the magical Pennzoil 0w-40, a very good oil of course, Amazon will ship it to you for free with a free Fram Ultra oil filter thrown in!!!!
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3691670#Post3691670
EDIT: You have to get the http://www.amazon.com/Pennzoil-550040856...A4N1JEZH8HY4R33

Yeah, the one snag in that being that you get an OK (not great) deal on 6 quarts and a filter... for an engine with a 7-quart sump. :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back