How you clean the plastic gas container ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Spring is here, I will need to cut grass soon ( before they send us paper... ), I was going to go buy some gas for my lawnmower, using an blitz red 2 gallon gas can, I look inside and it having some black gum up and dirt.. how you clean these gas can ? so I can get new gas. thanks

Originally Posted By: 147_Grain
Rinse it out with gasoline which by nature is corrosive and a natural cleaner.

You know I was thinking about doing that today, I dont have any old gas to rinse it with, I was thinking go to gas station, put a bit gas in and shake it, and dump it, but I realize peoples will look at me crazy and its not safe, so I came here for some idea,

I dont have any other extra gas can around.

Throw a handful of old metal nuts in there with the gas and shake the heck out of it. It works getting the stuck on scum at the bottom out.

Originally Posted By: oldhp
Throw a handful of old metal nuts in there with the gas and shake the heck out of it. It works getting the stuck on scum at the bottom out.

noob question, where do you dumb old gas ?

Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
Originally Posted By: oldhp

noob question, where do you dumb old gas ?

Around where I live in NY, once or twice a year the county has a hazardous materials collection day and they accept gasoline. There are companies who pump and dispose of gasoline but unsure if they handle small quantities.

I would get a QT of alcohol, let is sit overnight, shaking a few times. Then dump and dispose of properly.

Yeah put a little in there with something to agitate and shake it. Put the gas in a glass jar or metal can and use it to start a fire asap. Don't store it like that.

> "old metal nuts in gas".
In general you do not want to use things that can cause sparks around flammable materials.
Maybe toss the can and get a new No-Spill can, then cycle the gas through your car every 6 months so it doesn't go bad?

I'd just dump into sny old thing and let it sun bathe. All gone
wink.gif
. And much more less eco friendly ways to do it. Why not mix with used oil and tun in with it. Plenty in there already with all the short trippers in the world.

their a lady at oreilly ( where I alway take my used oil to her, she take me to the back and she open the oil jug and sniff it, make sure it have no gas, I ask her , what you do that for, she say, some peoples mix gas to oil, kinda dumb that she does it, but anyway ), this time I take to autozone or walmart then.

I have cleaned cans by dumping all the gas out, then blasting it with the garden hose. All that crud comes out pretty easily. Just shake out the water from the can and let it set in the sun to dry it out.

Originally Posted By: Dyusik
wink.gif
. And much more less eco friendly ways to do it. Why not mix with used oil and tun in with it. Plenty in there already with all the short trippers in the world.

This is a VERY bad idea. Most recycle centers will not accept oil contaminated with gasoline and some of them have detectors that will identify such practices. This practice causes an explosion hazard since gasoline is a lot more volatile than oil. The equipment to store and handle recycled oil is not designed to handle gasoline. This is exactly why a lot of places that might otherwise take used oil will not do so.

Last edited:
Empty container
Add water and Dawn dish detergent and sand
Swish the dickens out of it
Dump, rinse, repeat if necessary
Let dry or swish with a cup of gas
dump swished gas into oil catch and recycle

Just read the above caveat....stick with benign cleaning agents

Tape a small rag to a long screwdriver or wooden dowel and spray the rag with brake cleaner or var-sol, (or gasoline). Then swab the bottom of the tank. Repeat if needed.

Keep your tanks clean and you wont need to do this again.,

Originally Posted By: SilverSnake
Originally Posted By: Dyusik
wink.gif

This is a VERY bad idea. Most recycle centers will not accept oil contaminated with gasoline and some of them have detectors that will identify such practices. This practice causes an explosion hazard since gasoline is a lot more volatile than oil. The equipment to store and handle recycled oil is not designed to handle gasoline. This is exactly why a lot of places that might otherwise take used oil will not do so.

Sorry Dyusik. I quoted the wrong post. Let me try again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back