fram core filter 3506

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is off of a 2003 chevy suburban 5.3 unknown mileage my friend just bought it as a spare vehicle

20150221_103644_zpsqffm7nlv.jpg

20150221_103441_zpsq9t6qzku.jpg

20150221_103447_zpsglp30oru.jpg

I've got one of those sitting in the closet i need to cut open. Came off my Mom's car. I can see one pleat was pulled through the plastic, so I'm not expecting good things.

This one didn't have any failure other than being a pos I personally don't like them at all but I figured I would share it

Originally Posted By: Cristobal
When did Fram start using these E-Cores?

Well they own Champion Labs so it's not a surprise.

These are used by Wal-Mart in their Tire Lube Express
They are not supposed to be sold to the public
I did find a few at a little Wal-Mart grocery for 50 cents each
I got some to use if I wanted to do a quick clean
The ones I have are not e-core,they have a steel centertube
What I found odd is this store doesn't even stock filters

Originally Posted By: Dallas69

Interesting because they were sold as the Supertech brand. Those filters are rebadged Champion Filters with a black paintjob. Frams/Supertech had black, ACDelco are blue.

Originally Posted By: Dallas69
"Not supposed to be sold to the public" ? Then who ARE they supposed to be sold to?

I meant you cant go in Wal-Mart and get one off the shelf
Used only for store oil change customers

It would be intersting if you could find an oil change sticker on that 'burban.
I'd be curious as to how long this filter was run.
I'm writing this because this very cheap design oil filter looks really good.
The pleats are even and narrowly spaced, except for the one where the media was probably glued together, they're nice and straight and there is no sign of media getting forced through the plastic center cage.
I've never used an ecore, like most people here, but these filters can apparently hold up well in service.

I have a couple Valucraft ones of these that I got basically free from AZ (coupon), haven't used them, if the media is REALLY packed tight they have a chance, but the windows in the center tube are really big, easy to have a blowout. Is there a broken section in the center tube, a piece of black plastic gone? Wouldn't want that floating around in the ol' oil galleries!!

Yea like I said I'm in no way supporting them the last "service champ" ecore I cut open was not glued or fused correctly and half of the top base plate wasn't connected.....
But this one did pretty well and I searched for a sticker and checked the book in the glovebox nothing to indicate oil service life but in my opinion the oil that came out was jet black so I think it was in for a while all opinion of course

The new oil was pup and bosch d+ so we will see how well it clears up

"Fram" Core TLE (Champ made) filter = former Champ made WM Super Tech oil filter line with exterior texture sprayed on.

Many/most are ecores such as OP's and many use combo valves. They replaced Fram made orange can fiber endcap express/quickie lube filters, in Wally TLE.

Similar thing happened at O'Rielly with the MicroGard. Switched manufacturer from Fram made offering to Champ made (Fram), same as Core TLE without texture. Difference is, shortly after the change O'R said buh bye Fram, hello Wix.

Fwiw, though supposedly not for retail sale, limited applications can be found sold by the case on Ebay. That said, unless very low priced, especially the ecores, no reason to chase them imo.

The Fram Core is the only ecore that Fram sells under their own name.

I've seen these TLE-only Cores at a WM that doesn't have a TLE; they probably received them by mistake.

A couple have black textured paint, and some have the same texture coating in red.

Quote:
Looks a lot like an STP filter I used on my '96 Buick.

Same filter, only STP labeled and intended for retail sale. 'Fram' Defense filters sold at some value stores now also the same. Defense used be a Fram fiber endcap low end offering, but like previous MicroGard filter swithed to Champ made ecore type.

Same filters also used at Firestone Tire Lube stores.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
"Fram" Core TLE (Champ made) filter = former Champ made WM Super Tech oil filter line with exterior texture sprayed on.

Many/most are ecores such as OP's and many use combo valves. They replaced Fram made orange can fiber endcap express/quickie lube filters, in Wally TLE.

Similar thing happened at O'Rielly with the MicroGard. Switched manufacturer from Fram made offering to Champ made (Fram), same as Core TLE without texture. Difference is, shortly after the change O'R said buh bye Fram, hello Wix.

Fwiw, though supposedly not for retail sale, limited applications can be found sold by the case on Ebay. That said, unless very low priced, especially the ecores, no reason to chase them imo.

I sold a few of them directly to customers. I think they were only 2.09 when rung up through a register. I only this this for people who couldn't afford the next filter up in price or we didn't have anything other than that for their vehicle or a few guys who just wanted the cheapest filter for a flush.

I never liked them. They just felt cheap as [censored]. Never issues with them(that wasn't user error not filter error).

^^^^Yes, it has been noted/posted here before that they have been available/sold at retail even from off the shelf at some WM.

That said, according to an authority on the matter posting here, it has been stated they are not intended for retail sale, strictly TLE use.
21.gif
That being case, a policy not well not well thought out, policed or important in the first place.

But yes, someone looking for something close to a filter of least common dominator variety, these would fill the bill.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back