New Cooper CS5s on the Odyssey

Status
Not open for further replies.
there is also a michelin pilot hx mxv4 that honda likes to use OE on their accords (or did)

Are these primacy mxv4's? and even if they are as mentioned when its an OE fitment tire.. basically the car manufacturer lists the specs for the tire.. in other words they are sometimes wildly different than aftermarket versions of the same tire.

Originally Posted By: Rand
Are these primacy mxv4's? and even if they are as mentioned when its an OE fitment tire.. basically the car manufacturer lists the specs for the tire.. in other words they are sometimes wildly different than aftermarket versions of the same tire.

One of the OE tires on the Odyssey in P235/65R17 is the Michelin Primacy MXV4. I think the other one in this size is the Continental ContiProContact.

Michelin is usually pretty good about distinguishing on their website where there are two different versions of a tire. You can tell by the part number. For example, the P215/55R17 93V that is OE for Toyota is part number 08357. The 215/55R17 94V that is OE for Honda is part number 28637. Tire Rack actually carries both part numbers...if one were buying in this size, one would have to be careful to buy the correct part number. But in either case, you'll be getting the Toyota version or the Honda version...there are no "non OE" versions.

Similar deal with the P235/65R17. There's only one part number of this tire; it's 66126 and it's OE for Honda. If you buy it at Tire Rack, or Sam's Club, or your local Michelin dealer, you'll be getting part number 66126.

I will be very interested in your experience with the Coopers, as I'm at 23k miles and they got us through this past winter but I don't think I'll be comfortable with them next winter with the kids in the car.

Friends of ours bought a used 2012 and the dealer had fitted it with GY Assurance Comfortreads, and she said that they didn't have any of the snow traction problems that we've had with the MXV4s. The GYs are pricy at $185 each (235/60/R18), so I'm keeping an eye out for a second and third option.

I put a set of CS5 Ultra on my 2006 Camry. Very impressed! And we've had lots of snow and ice this winter.

For pricing, check discounttiredirect for prices and ask the tire shop to do a price match. The Coopers are definitely cheaper than Michelin.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
The Primacy MXV4s on your Odyssey were OE fitment tires, which are tires that are designed and spec'ed for an Odyssey application by Honda...not Michelin.

What?? If Michelin agrees to manufacture them, and is paid for them, regardless who "designed and spec'ed" them, they are THEIRS.

Michelin has dropped the ball on their Honda tires. I know, I own an Odyssey. Its Michelins reputation and responsibility, period.

Originally Posted By: gfh77665
What?? If Michelin agrees to manufacture them, and is paid for them, regardless who "designed and spec'ed" them, they are THEIRS.

Michelin has dropped the ball on their Honda tires. I know, I own an Odyssey. Its Michelins reputation and responsibility, period.

Michelin (and Continental, and every other OE supplier) simply submits a tire design that meets Honda's requirements. Consumers can blame the tire maker all day long, but they're simply producing a product to a certain specification. Now, you may not like that specification, and that's fine...you are certainly free to install a different tire.

I agree with you that the tire maker's reputation is on the line. Folks who don't understand how the industry works will generally blame the tire manufacturer for a "junk tire", even though they're building a tire to a certain specification. They won't turn down the business from the car manufacturer...if Honda doesn't buy from Michelin, they'll buy from someone else (and they do).

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
They won't turn down the business from the car manufacturer...

That's fine. That's their prerogative. Likewise its the consumers prerogative to hold Michelin responsible for the poor quality tire thats stamped "MICHELIN", too.

Michelin can't have it both ways.

Likewise its the consumers prerogative to hold Michelin responsible for the poor quality tire thats stamped "MICHELIN", too.

They would be consumers who don't understand the difference between an OE tire and a retail market tire, but, yes, I'm sure some feel that way. There's really no getting around it. By specification, an OE tire will never behave like a retail market tire. It has nothing to do with material quality, and everything to do with the specifications of the contract.

Well, the tires on the Odyssey have been fantastic so far. So much so that today I took in the RAV4 and had a set of CS5 Ultra Touring 235/55R18 tires installed. They are even better than the Grand Tourings! And they are light years better than the Bridgestone Dueler H/T 687s they replaced, which were a noisy, rough riding mess. The Bridgestones still have some wear left in them, so I'm selling them on Craigslist. $580 out-the-door before the $60 rebate... I'm happy!

Originally Posted By: Char Baby
Well done on the price of the Ultra's for the RAV4, especially for it's tire size, Wow!

I was surprised by the price I got as well. They actually were cheaper than the set on the Odyssey!

Time for a quick update. I have about 15k miles on both pairs now, so I think that I am able to share some of my initial reactions on how these are aging.

Cooper CS5 Grand Touring (Honda Odyssey):
The snow and rain performance has been excellent. They have plenty of grip and never feel skittish.
The ride and handling are, well, squishy. These have very soft sidewalls and you can tell. Every turn allows you to feel the tires shift into the turn.
The soft sidewalls are effecting the wear on the edges. They are wearing faster than the middle, even with the air pressure a little high. This may also be partially due to the Honda which wears tires fast anyway and the back roads my wife drives to work.
I will probably try some Contis or Generals next go around.

Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring (Toyota RAV4)
Quite simply, these things are awesome. The difference between the Grand Tourings is night and day. If the GTs are good in the snow and wet, the Ultras are amazing. During winter storm Jonas I felt zero desire for more grip. I made a 2 hour trek between home and Charlottesville in the middle of the storm for unavoidable medical reasons and the tires were never scary in the least.
The ride and handling have also been excellent. These have a much stronger sidewall, which gives solid handling but not at the expense of ride quality. The RAV4 is know for a rough ride, but these help out much more than the OEM Bridgestones.
They are wearing well and even. There is no noticeable road noise as the miles increase. Gas mileage has also increased a little more than 1 mpg over the OEM rubber. At this rate, I think these will actually outlast the GTs on the Honda.
I will be putting another pair of these on when these wear out. Great tire, great value.

So, in summation, I would absolutely recommend the Ultras if they make a set that fits your car. The GTs I think are just way too soft. I haven't been impressed. They aren't horrible and they are safe, but I think for the money there are better tires out there.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
They won't turn down the business from the car manufacturer...

That's fine. That's their prerogative. Likewise its the consumers prerogative to hold Michelin responsible for the poor quality tire thats stamped "MICHELIN", too.

Michelin can't have it both ways.

THIS! If a tire manufacturer allows a auto manufacturer to dictate how to design a (inferior) product? Who's fault is that? I had the same garbage MXV4 tires on a Honda Accord I bought new. They would break loose from the over spray from the City's green strips in the center of the street. Total junk.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SF0059
Cooper CS5 Grand Touring (Honda Odyssey):
The snow and rain performance has been excellent. They have plenty of grip and never feel skittish.
The ride and handling are, well, squishy. These have very soft sidewalls and you can tell. Every turn allows you to feel the tires shift into the turn.
The soft sidewalls are effecting the wear on the edges. They are wearing faster than the middle, even with the air pressure a little high. This may also be partially due to the Honda which wears tires fast anyway and the back roads my wife drives to work.
Cooper CS5 Ultra Touring (Toyota RAV4)
Quite simply, these things are awesome. The difference between the Grand Tourings is night and day.

I think if the Ultra Touring has the size for Honda Odyssey it would be better choice than Grand Touring.

Higher speed rate tire has firmer sidewall, Honda Odyssey is heavy so the firmer sidewall tire is a better fit.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR

I think if the Ultra Touring has the size for Honda Odyssey it would be better choice than Grand Touring.

Higher speed rate tire has firmer sidewall, Honda Odyssey is heavy so the firmer sidewall tire is a better fit.

I completely agree, but... they don't make the Ultras in the Odyssey size. Apparently they think everyone buying that size tire want to feel like they are driving jello...

Not sure why the performance of the Grand Touring is so surprising to you, when it states right on the Cooper website that it is designed for "ride comfort". It would seem that the tire provided exactly what it was designed to do.

Minivans are going to be a little harder on tires, especially on the edges. My 2007 Town and Country tended to wear the edges of its tires as well. I found that going from a 65 to a 60 series helped with that more than anything. Running 36-38 psi helped the edges, but it wasn't a cure.

In your comparison, you're also comparing two different types of vehicles, and one is a lot heavier (and top heavier) than the other.

And describing a tire described as having "ride comfort", for being "squishy" isn't Cooper's fault. You were warned.

I completely agree, but... they don't make the Ultras in the Odyssey size. Apparently they think everyone buying that size tire want to feel like they are driving jello...

I have the Ultra Touring on my Odyssey for size 235/60/18. I've driven about 250 miles on these tires and I am so happy with my buying decision.

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
Not sure why the performance of the Grand Touring is so surprising to you, when it states right on the Cooper website that it is designed for "ride comfort". It would seem that the tire provided exactly what it was designed to do.

And describing a tire described as having "ride comfort", for being "squishy" isn't Cooper's fault. You were warned.

Dang dude, thanks for the chastising. I know they were meant to be more of a comfort oriented tire, but there are plenty of touring tires available where you don't feel the sidewall physically shift through a turn. That, in my opinion, is the issue here. Not that they are touring tires. I did not buy them expecting them to handle like the car was on racing tires.

Opinion is subjective. But, having plenty of experience with tires of varying stripes over the years, I'm not an amateur. I gave my opinion, if you don't like you don't have to read it.

So, to quote you, if you put a pair of Cooper GTs on an Odyssey, "You were warned".

It is people people like you who have kept me off of this forum for the last 6 months.

Originally Posted By: josejoseph

I have the Ultra Touring on my Odyssey for size 235/60/18. I've driven about 250 miles on these tires and I am so happy with my buying decision.

I just looked it up, and they now have Ultras available in the my Odyssey's size, 235/65R17. I'm pretty sure they weren't available when I bought these. Maybe next time!

Your comparison between the Grand Touring and Ultra Touring tires is flawed due to the size difference. You should expect that the 55 series 18 inch size will be much more responsive with less sidewall movement than a 65 series 17 inch tire. You are also comparing across two completely different vehicles.

Thanks for your comments on each, though! It's always helpful in making tire buying decisions to get first hand experience from someone.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back