SAE 30 detergent or non-detergent?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just drained the oil out of my craftsman push mower with a 4 hp engine. On the side it says SAE 30 oil but doesn't say rather it should be detergent oil or not?

what would you guys put in it?

thanks, =)

P.S. the mower is 2 or 3 years old and the oil has never been changed
shocked.gif

Not only that, but I would use a synthetic 10w30. I'm too cheap to use Mobile 1 in my truck, but I do use it in the lawnmower since it only takes half a quart...

The non detergent people will say that their´s is best becaus ethe engine has no filter, therefore dirt should sink to the bottom.

Non detergent oils also lack other essential performance characteristics, many related to temperature variation tolerance, which the non detergent crowd usually does not understand the value of.

I just sold 2 gallons of ACD SAE 30 to a customer for his lawn mower he uses in his lawn business. Results TBA.

Non detergent oils are strictly for antiques or very specialized applications.

All lawn & garden equipment engines I know of produced in the past 25+ years should use a modern (detergent) motor oil.

--- Bror Jace

The best use for a non-detergent oil is in the workbench oil can!

SAE 30HD with an SJ,SH rating is the most frequent choice for use in small engines.

ND oils have no protection additives such as anti-wear agents, detergents, anti-rust, anti-oxidants, etc.

ND oils have only a bit of anti-foamant and that is it.

As others have stated, ND oils do NOT belong in an internal combustion engine's crankcase.

Last edited:
I was searching for info on a question I had and I found this thread. I've had my belt driven air compressor for 3 1/2 years. It's not used everyday and until I installed three hard lines in my garage and workshop it ran infrequently. Not so much now since I keep it on all the time. I decided to change the oil today. On the side of the compressor it recommended SAE-30 or a 10W-40 full synthetic. I grabbed a couple of $2.99 quarts of PYB SAE-30 from the Tractor Supply sale and changed it. Once I finished and was cleaning up, I realized that it was supposed to be non-detergent SAE-30. I'm don't understand why the 30 weight has to be non-detergent and the 10W-40 can be. Am I OK or should I drain it out and replace it. Can some one help explain why, one way or the other. Thanks for the help.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
I was searching for info on a question I had and I found this thread. I've had my belt driven air compressor for 3 1/2 years. It's not used everyday and until I installed three hard lines in my garage and workshop it ran infrequently. Not so much now since I keep it on all the time. I decided to change the oil today. On the side of the compressor it recommended SAE-30 or a 10W-40 full synthetic. I grabbed a couple of $2.99 quarts of PYB SAE-30 from the Tractor Supply sale and changed it. Once I finished and was cleaning up, I realized that it was supposed to be non-detergent SAE-30. I'm don't understand why the 30 weight has to be non-detergent and the 10W-40 can be. Am I OK or should I drain it out and replace it. Can some one help explain why, one way or the other. Thanks for the help.

It sounds to me that the manufacturer incriminated themselves. Other than automotive
engineers, I think that some of these engineers just recommend their opinion on a motor oil. But for this air compressor company to recommend one extreme to the other, I am sure something in the middle sure won't hurt it. Unless someone else has a reason a detergent 30 weight won't work, I don't see no reason to drain it. But than why do they recommend 10w40 full synthetic, let along all 10w40 are detergent oils, do they allow you to us a detergent oil?

non detergent oils are about the only oils you should NOT use in an engine. I don't even think they qualify to be called "engine oil". Where do you even buy that stuff? I think some compressor oils have another add pack than eninge oils but are not likely ND oils anymore either.
No, forget about the ND. It's basically same as [censored].

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
Non detergent oils are strictly for antiques or very specialized applications.

All lawn & garden equipment engines I know of produced in the past 25+ years should use a modern (detergent) motor oil.

--- Bror Jace

As far as antique engines goes, if you don't know what condition it in, I would continue using Non Detergent oils. If you rebuilt it, clean them up of all there sludge, them its time to use a detergent oil.

Originally Posted By: catdiesel
A regular SAE 30 or 15w40 HDEO will both be perfect.

Thanks for all the input. I think I'll stick with the PYB SAE 30 I used. I still don't understand why a 10W-40 full syn, with detergents/cleaning ability, would be OK but an SAE 30 with the same traits would not. Never thought about using a 15W 40 HDEO. Maybe next time.

Non detergent has no use in any engine anymore. I use it for compressors and a door hinge.

Originally Posted By: Sierra048
I still don't understand why a 10W-40 full syn, with detergents/cleaning ability, would be OK but an SAE 30 with the same traits would not.

Not all SAE30 is the same...there is HD30 and ND30. The ND is non-detergent.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back