Charger front-end "stuff"

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So, now that winter is "over" and I'm back to driving the bimmer, I figured I'd post about a couple of things with the Charger that need looking at:

1. When it is cold (and I mean like just below 0C, not insanely cold) the steering on the car gets stiff, and when it gets even colder it is "chunky" until it warms up a bit. It should have ATF+4 in it, so it isn't like the fluid has poor cold flow characteristics.

I mentioned this to my buddy at the dealer and he mentioned that lubing the shaft should help it, since replacing it is expensive. I was surprised that's immediately where he went with it, but apparently the shafts causing stiff steering in cold temp is common.

Weird
21.gif

2. Front-end noise. Passenger side clunking/rattling, getting worse in the last week or so. Doesn't seem to affect the handling or suspension so I'm wondering if it is just a sway-bar end-link. Won't know until I get a minute to get underneath it and check it out. Wife wants me to put the summer rubber on it, so that may be this weekend.

I believe it has around 130,000Km on it now; roughly 80,000 miles. Not high mileage by any stretch.

I initially dismissed what my buddy who lives out east (and works on the local PD's cars) said when he mentioned that I should look forward to front-end parts on this car when we bought it. I figured that was probably due to the way the police drive them. Now I'm not so sure
21.gif

It drives like a dream; the suspension is fantastic, as it gobbles up the bumps in the local roads, but it seems there may be a penalty associated with that ride comfort. A penalty that admittedly may not be significant. I won't know more until I get in there.

Comically, aside from a ball joint assembly on the M5, the suspension is original, LOL! Though of course it needs a thousand dollar drive shaft still
smirk.gif

As a former Charger owner, chasing front end noise will become common practice lol. You'll never feel a difference driving it but you'll certainly hear it!

Chasing a clunky grind on the Honda thru late winter... no play thru tie rods or ball joint, decided to replace the noticeably loose sway bar end link... 2 bolts, should be a breeze to pop one out and put new one in...right....?

WRONG. Top bolt came out ok... but the bottom bolt, no chance. No access with an impact wrench, heat wouldn't free it up... it was rusted solid. Had to cut it off on the ball side with an angle grinder.... fun.

But it was the problem, thankfully...

Rust can make simple jobs not so simple... good luck.

Last edited:
I had a 2005 Dodge Magnum RT that had a front end clunk. It turned out to be a common problem on the LX series of Chrysler products. The bushing in what Chrysler calls the "tension strut" was torn. The tension strut is a radius arm in the front suspension. It was particularly problematic in the first few model years until it was redesigned. The SRT8 version uses a solid rubber bushing that is stronger than the standard tension strut. The standard tension strut has a void in the rubber bushing. You will not necessarily be able to see the tear in the bushing. My dealer isolated the problem by using chassis ears (listening devices placed on suspected problem areas). I had one tension strut fail under warranty and the other failed out of warranty.

Another common cause of front end noise is a worn sway bar bushing. Some owners also reported a rattling noise from the front brake calipers.

The LXForum is a good source of information.

I deal with this situation daily with Highway Patrol Chargers. Most likely it is the tension struts. Also check the lower control arms and sway bar links. These three things are the most common front end problems I encounter on these cars. The front ends on these cars are very weak and it does not take them long to develop problems and noises. I have seen some chargers with mileages as low as 20,000 needing new tension struts and lower control arms due to worn bushings. [censored] poor design. Makes a lot of money for Chrysler and aftermarket on parts though.

might make them money on after market parts but they are losing sales to ford and the Ford is faster according to all the highway guys.

Originally Posted By: RRLJR
I deal with this situation daily with Highway Patrol Chargers. Most likely it is the tension struts. Also check the lower control arms and sway bar links. These three things are the most common front end problems I encounter on these cars. The front ends on these cars are very weak and it does not take them long to develop problems and noises. I have seen some chargers with mileages as low as 20,000 needing new tension struts and lower control arms due to worn bushings. [censored] poor design. Makes a lot of money for Chrysler and aftermarket on parts though.

Is there an aftermarket part like an Energy Suspension bushing that fixes the issue with the tension strut? Can the SRT ones be retrofitted to the non-SRT model?

yes, for some cool reason the needed parts were upgraded on the early SRT's. Later models are not as good.

102k miles here and no front end work of any kind despite huge wheels and tires and tons of tough driving...

So the noise is a tie-rod end. Outer on the passenger side. Unfortunately, the rack is also weeping
smirk.gif

A new rack comes with inner and outer tie rods as part of it so it looks like that's the route we'll be going.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Did you get a warranty when you bought it?

Yes. Currently investigating that.

You might have to pay for the tie rod since it's probably a wear and tear item but the rack definitely isn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back