06-11 Ford Explorer Transmission Reliability

Status
Not open for further replies.

e40

I'm looking at getting an 06-11 Explorer as a daily driver and occasional tow vehicle for our pop up camper.

I've seen many tales about how the transmissions are prone to failure, although I read the same about an Expedition I had for 55k miles and had no issues. I'll be looking at a one owner '06 with 150k miles on it. They have all the service records from new so I can look to see if they had the trans fluid changed. (Owners manual doesn't mandate a change until 150k miles) The owner said they've never had a transmission problem.

I also see a one owner '09 at a dealer with 172k miles. But the carfax revealed a trip to AAMCO at 90k, (a few in between) and again at 150k.

Makes me wonder if it's like the Honda Odyssey, either you get one with a good trans, or you don't.

So which do you want, the one that's been to AAMCO or the virgin one?

You may have to start pounding the pavement. This online research won't do everything for you.

Hello, In the case of these two vehicles OBVIOUSLY go for the one owned by the person you've communicated with.

The AAMCO queen is a lost cause. Better to just pull the unit and rebuild it.

My friend son just bought an '04 w/50K and we've a date to do trans filter and refill. We may do a pump-out if fluid condition warrants. Kira

edit: Just read eljafino's comment. Couldn't agree more. Rent a high mileage car to search for cars. They'e getting farther apart.

i think you mean '06-'10. i have 2 V6 5speeds. '06 2wd and a '10 4x4. '06 has 60k miles and no trans issues. the '10 had the solenoid pack replaced ~ 58k, and it's at 90k now with a noise that i can only guess will require a replacement at some point.
had a '07 v8 4x4 6speed. sold ~110k, no flushes. only warranty work/ TSB on shift timing, firmness.
i don't see the ford trans as being worse off than others. but with those sort of miles i'd be considering the need for replacement at some point. build that cost in as a buffer.
fwiw.

They are both about the same price, but I'd rather have the older '06 without trans service history vs. the '09.

I've just started looking.. I'm shopping the Denver, CO area since my parents live there and can scout them in person if needed. (I also go there 3x a year on average)

Vehicles from that region start with so much less (or no) corrosion than ones that have 8+ Wisconsin winters on them. I'd drive it back to Wisconsin, with a stop in St. Louis for a Krown treatment.

The 5 speeds don't last long. I have one. Solenoid block has been replaced. They have steel servos in aluminum bores. The bores are part of the case. Expensive to fix. Will be selling mine no later than May.

V6 or V8? They have different transmissions.

The 5 speed behind the V6 has a somewhat lower reputation. It one way, shape, or form, they've been used since the '97 model year behind the 4.0 SOHC. When mine went south in my '97 at 184,000 miles, the transmission shop more or less said if you got anything over 100,000 miles without major work, you were doing well. We have an '04 that had the tranmission fail at work with under 100,000 on the odometer and never towed or worked hard.

The tranmission behind the V8 is the 6R60 or 6R80. The 6R80 is the same tranmission used in the F150 platform from about 2010 on. Early units (generally 2006/7) sometimes suffer from bump stops (the shift down into one is the culprit) that may or may not go away with a software reflash. I have an '07, and in general find the 1-2 shift to be a bit firm in mine, but have not had the bump stop. Part of why I bought the v8 is to get the 6 speed instead of the 5 speed.

Watch the tow ratings. The hitch is welded/integrated into the frame on this generation, and many of them were sold with the smaller 1 1/4" reciever hitch with a lower tow rating. The tow package on the v6 trucks will get you 3.73 gearing. The V8 equipped ones stay at 3.55 since 1st gear is lower on the speed auto. It is possible to add a 2" reciever hitch, but it will hang below the bumper and look odd having two hitches.

Originally Posted By: rshaw125
They have steel servos in aluminum bores. The bores are part of the case. Expensive to fix. Will be selling mine no later than May.

So do many (most?) transmissions- why is servo bore wear a problem in this particular one?

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
V6 or V8? They have different transmissions.

The 5 speed behind the V6 has a somewhat lower reputation. It one way, shape, or form, they've been used since the '97 model year behind the 4.0 SOHC. When mine went south in my '97 at 184,000 miles, the transmission shop more or less said if you got anything over 100,000 miles without major work, you were doing well. We have an '04 that had the tranmission fail at work with under 100,000 on the odometer and never towed or worked hard.

The tranmission behind the V8 is the 6R60 or 6R80. The 6R80 is the same tranmission used in the F150 platform from about 2010 on. Early units (generally 2006/7) sometimes suffer from bump stops (the shift down into one is the culprit) that may or may not go away with a software reflash. I have an '07, and in general find the 1-2 shift to be a bit firm in mine, but have not had the bump stop. Part of why I bought the v8 is to get the 6 speed instead of the 5 speed.

Watch the tow ratings. The hitch is welded/integrated into the frame on this generation, and many of them were sold with the smaller 1 1/4" reciever hitch with a lower tow rating. The tow package on the v6 trucks will get you 3.73 gearing. The V8 equipped ones stay at 3.55 since 1st gear is lower on the speed auto. It is possible to add a 2" reciever hitch, but it will hang below the bumper and look odd having two hitches.

Thanks for this information. I forgot to mention, the ones I have my eyes on are V8's.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Originally Posted By: rshaw125
They have steel servos in aluminum bores. The bores are part of the case. Expensive to fix. Will be selling mine no later than May.

So do many (most?) transmissions- why is servo bore wear a problem in this particular one?

Not sure. But I do know the steel servos wear out the aluminum bores and then there is not enough pressure to shift , engage the band. The bore can be sleeved or a modified servo can be installed.

Some of the V8s come with that tiny Class II hitch. That's where those pictures from the back come in handy.

I'd suggest trying to test drive a few before you head out west. I test drove a couple, and the drive experience was all over the board transmission wise. The ones with the bump were intermittent - not every time. Once you feel it, you'll know.

Guessing you already know, but with a long drive planned after buying it:
Check all the wheel bearings. 80k is a normal lifespan for all of them.
Look at the underside of the radiator for leaks. The usual leak point is at the seams, and it travels down to the tray/mounts on the underside.
Make sure the rear wiper works.
Check for axle seal leaks. (only the one I bought wasn't leAking / had been repaired to sell)

That's it off the top of my head. We enjoy ours.

Update to this...

I ended up with the 2006 Explorer Limited with the V8 and 6R60 transmission. 150k miles, one owner. Drove it home from Colorado without issue. Seems to shift fine too.

Radiator and hoses were replaced at 88k.

Has the class III hitch...

Looking over the records, they paid for a 'transmission flush' at 100k miles at Big-O tires for $108 out the door. No note of what type of fluid was used, nor are any parts listed.

Then at 124k miles, an independent shop replaced the transmission bulkhead connector due to it leaking. $50 for the connector, $55 for ATF pan gasket, and $43 for qty 6 'ATF Synthetic'. Some type of sealant was used on the pan because it's showing around the edge of the pan and through the bolt heads.

I have a Motorcraft trans filter + gasket on the way, will pick up some Mercon SP from O'Reilly and change it out. I know that does not change all the fluid, but I'd at least like to get a majority of the correct fluid in it. (Assuming the last two shops didn't use Mercon SP)

Oh, I called the dealer for a price on Mercon SP, they said they did not carry it because they use LV in everything that calls for SP. I know there are a million threads on that already, but from what I've read, the 6R60 _must_ have SP.

Sounds pretty normal for that generation. I did my radiator last summer at about 95,000 miles. Did the bulkhead connector a few months ago when it started leaking, and as long as I had the shop in there, did a filter change as well.

I'd be curious how Big-O managed a flush on this setup - everything I've read is a flush is either not possible or very difficult due to a thermostat located in the cooler lines.

I questioned my dealership as well - they used LV on their service with the same message you got from your dealership. Seems to be behaving fine regardless.

My wife has a 2005 she bought new with the V-8 and 5 speed transmission. It has about 165,000 miles on it. It's been well maintained, the transmission was serviced approximately every 30,000 miles. Most were complete fluid exchanges with a new Motorcraft transmission filter. It shifts great, just like when it was new.

Whimsey

Yeah, I even brought in the latest (Revision 5) Automatic Transmission Fluid Chart which specifically shows the 6R60/6R75 calling for Mercon SP between 2006-2008. He said he couldn't sell me what he didn't have, and until Ford 'tells them differently' they are using LV in its place. That's OK - doing the job myself anyway... At least they had the best price on Motorcraft Gold coolant - $17/jug.

28.gif

Last edited:
Had the same arguement with my dealership. Ended up getting it noted on the invoice I specifically requested SP and they filled with LV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back