Honda vs Evinrude vs Mercury vs Yamaha etc

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking to buy my first (used) boat in the next week or two. Based on what little research I have done, Yamaha 4 strokes seem to be considered one of the more reliable engines? Anyone have any real world experience with these engines, what to look for, or any other advice? Two stroke vs 4 stroke? Thanks.

FYI, based on my budget (paying cash) boat will probably be a 17 to 20 ft center console with a 75hp-115hp engine. 2003- 2010 models seem to be in my price range.

Now to weed out the beat to heck ones from the low-hour well maintained ones.

My personal preference would go 1) Mercury 2) Yamaha 3) Honda 4) Evinrude.

Good luck working on the Evinrudes. They're monsters. great when they run, awful
When they dont. I've always preferred Mercury as they've been most reliable for me and easy to work on.

A boat is a wood lined hole in the water in which you throw money. I have owned 4 boats in my life and they are fun . The secret is perfect over maintenance because time on the water is too valuable to chance any breakdowns. Bearing buddies on the trailer, the real bearing buddies.

Definition, boat: A hole in the water that you throw money into.

Additional information: The larger the boat, the more money you throw in it. The rate that you throw money into the hole is not linear with respect to size, it is logarithmic.

The two happiest days in a boat owners life are the day they buy the boat, and the day they sell the boat.

Mercury is THEE WORST outboard you can buy....hands down.

I'm a serious boater. Here is my ranking based on years of real experience of myself, my brothers, and all of our boating friends.

1.) Yamaha
2.) Suzuki
3.) Honda
4.) The rest are junk.

Suzuki might best Yamaha, but there just aren't enough people selling and servicing them. All 3 manufacturers would likely give you many, many years and hours of trouble free reliability.

You want a four stroke. Less fuel burn and longer life. Yamaha, Suzuki and Honda.

I've owned a smaller (15 HP electric start) Evinrude since buying it new in 1984. Only maintenance has been one water pump. Runs great.
Last year I bought a used Nisan 9.9. Just changed the gear lube to find it all milky looking. Hoping this doesn't turn into too big of an issue.
So I have nothing bad to say about Evinrude. I've been told the Nissan/Tohatsu's are great motors.

I have a smoker craft 15ft with a 99 mere 40hp 2 stroke oil injection and a 2012 9.9 merc 4 stroke and never a moments problem out of either one. Also have an 09 Ranger 21ft with a merc 250 4 stroke. Never a problem there either. Had a few bass boats with Evinrudes and when they went down, it was a nightmare.

not trying to start a brand war, just offering my .02

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Looking to buy my first (used) boat in the next week or two. Based on what little research I have done, Yamaha 4 strokes seem to be considered one of the more reliable engines? Anyone have any real world experience with these engines, what to look for, or any other advice? Two stroke vs 4 stroke? Thanks.

FYI, based on my budget (paying cash) boat will probably be a 17 to 20 ft center console with a 75hp-115hp engine. 2003- 2010 models seem to be in my price range.

Now to weed out the beat to heck ones from the low-hour well maintained ones.

Generally most will say go with the 4 stroke. They do get somewhat better gas mileage although the modern 2 strokes are much improved. As far as life, I would argue either is fine as most boats see less than 50 hours a year. My first boat was a 1995 with a 70 hp Tohatsu (Nissan) 2 stroke, very reliable, but pretty smoky. I hear Yamahas are great. My friend bought a 2005 (approx year) Mercury 150 4 S last summer and it runs flawlessly, very quiet. I own a 3.0L Mercruiser inboard. I would trade for my friends Merc outboard in a heartbeat. Way quieter and less vibration.

Who does reputable work on what near you? In my book, Yamaha, Suzuki, and Hondas all run great. My local dealer is a certified Yamaha dealer, so Yamaha was my choice. Got a 115 four stroke that's been good. Go four stroke. You generally won't regret it. Heard a little grumbling on parts availability on the Suzuki's, but they are very popular worldwide, just not as much locally.

I have a good friend who is an outboard mechanic for 30 years. When I told him I was looking for a boat he told me 4 stroke Yamaha first, Suzuki second, and if I wanted him to work on it don't buy a Merc. I bought a F115 Yamaha and never looked back. It has been an outstanding motor. He does not work on Honda's and I don't know much about them. I have been using NAPA 15-40 Universal Fleet oil for 200 hrs now and not one issue. It is changed at 50 hrs, but that is a year's time for me.

The absolute best outboard I ever owned was a Johnson J140 four stroke from Bombardier. It was a rebadged Suzuki.
The absolute worst pos outboard I ever owned was a Johnson 150 v6 two stroke from OMC. defective gearcase and engine controller
100 hp Mercury no problems
60 hp Chrysler one coil went bad
25 hp Mariner no problems
9 hp Tohatsu no problems

Originally Posted By: JimPghPA
I have found that boats smaller than 18 feet are significantly more unstable and are rocked by waves much easier. I would not buy a 17 foot boat.
The smaller Boston Whalers are stable for their size.

Hey MN Gopher. I don't know who does good work on outboards in Minnesota. I do live right by Maplewood Marine and he has a nice, small repair and storage lot there. I would try him but I have never had a problem I couldn't fix myself. What kind of boat do you own?

I have a 2001 Lund Pro Sport 1700 with a F115 Yamaha on it. This was before Mercury became the factory pre-rigged engine choice on Lunds. If I ever buy a replacement, it won't be a new Lund as a result of the Mercury rigging. Just a personal choice.

Our boat stays up north and gets service at a dealer up there that at least until recently only carried Yamaha and Suzuki engines.

Friend bought and has had decent service on their Yamaha powered boat at Hannay's in St. Anthony.

what do you see as issues with Mercury? My friend has a 4 stroke 150 and it seems good so far. I have an 3.0 Mercruiser I/O, my first and definitly last I/O. Much prefer outboards.

Last edited:
Agree whole heartedly on the inboard/outboard preference. Of course, I use my boat as a fishing machine primarily, so that may factor into that...

As far as Mercury goes, lets just say our family grew up on OMC/Johnson engines, and still use them today. We have a mid 70's 6hp Johnson that I swear has likely trolled to the moon and back again. Beat up looking, been out in the weather every summer for 40 years. Still fires up on the first pull every year.

When Johnson/Evinrude went downhill and were having problems, that's when Yamaha's became popular as a non-Mercury choice. Nobody I know who switched to Yamaha has regretted it.

First hand experience with Merc's being bad? No. First hand experience with their major competitor - yes, and no reason to look elsewhere...

Any of them are fine, they all have their warts.

Yamaha and Suzuki seem to hold up the best in the salt and are used in more third world countries.

For an inflatable Tohatsu seems to be making inroads into the US, they are priced very well. Don't know if I'd trust a big motor that costs a lot but under 15 they seem nice.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back