Amsoil SSO 0W-30, 1993 Civic, 3,007 miles

I have looked at the Fram Ultra oil filter as well as others and it looks like an awesome filter. As soon as I use up the case of Amsoil EAO36 filters I have, I will give it a try.

Originally Posted By: 01_celica_gt
WOW your civic engine is wearing like a GM engine, all that iron...in a civic? if your this OCD, why not get a properly built civic engine or rebuild yours?

two of my engines are rebuilt, now I'm rebuilding the Celica GT engine to get to NO oil burning at all, as I'm OCD about oil burning, a properly built Honda/Toyota engine that I have in my cars, shouldn't burn any oil.

My D16Y7 stopped burning oil after getting MaxLife 10w40 since last oil change, now 1200 miles later and the oil is still full, I'm not sure what to think.

I just changed out the cylinder head, it will take some time for break-in, so I expect the iron levels to be elevated for now.

Oil burn, what oil burn? There is no reason to rebuild the Civic engine at this time, it runs great.

It looks like the coolant leak is fixed. The original cylinder head had a crack in it that was getting progressively worse.

The overflow container has maintained the same level now for 7,000 miles...much better than before. I expect that the potassium level is on the down trend.

Miles on engine--396,601
Miles on oil--5,404
Amsoil AZO 0W-30
EAo36 oil filter
Dual Filtermag CT3.2's
Golden Eagle magnetic drain plug
5ozs Liquimoly

Blackstone Labs: Harry things are looking a lot better for your Civic. Metals continue to drop, with only iron reading higher than average now. It's a lot better than last time, and if we see a similar drop in the next oil change, we'll be able to call steel wear normal as well. Potassium dropped, so if that was showing coolant before, it looks like it's not a concern anymore, and silicon is slightly better as well. This oil also had a higher TB, at 5.0, and a lower particle count at 17/16/13- both better than last time. The only thing that didn't improve was fuel, but 1.3% is OK. Nice report.

Code:
[/code]

Aluminum-----------4PPM-----------------4 universal average

Chromium-----------1--------------------1

Iron---------------22-------------------9

Copper-------------4--------------------3

Lead---------------0--------------------2

Tin----------------2--------------------1

Molybdenum---------356------------------78

Nickel-------------1--------------------0

Manganese----------0--------------------0

Silver-------------0--------------------0

Titanium-----------0--------------------0

Potassium----------11-------------------3

Boron--------------63-------------------47

Silicon------------21-------------------11

Sodium-------------12-------------------46

Calcium------------3680-----------------2154

Magnesium----------17-------------------125

Phosphorus---------726------------------707

Zinc---------------824------------------830

Barium-------------0--------------------0

Code:
SUS Viscosity @ 210F----------58.5--------57-67 should be
cSt Viscosity @ 100C----------9.78--------9.4-12.4
Flashpoint in F---------------360--------->385
Fuel%-------------------------1.3--------- Antifreeze%-------------------0-----------0
Water%------------------------0---------- Insolubles%-------------------0.3--------- TBN---------------------------5.0-------->1.0
ISO Code-------17/16/13

Particle counts for ISO oil cleanliness code 17/16/13;

>=2microns------------1,363
>=5-------------------505
>=10------------------139
>=15------------------54
>=25------------------12
>=50------------------1
>=100-----------------0

High iron level probably due to new cam shaft wearing in.

Harry:

That particle count looks great. Those numbers look like the filter has been on there for a few runs. I see particle counts similar to yours after about 20k miles on the filter.

Dave

Dave,

I now change the filter at each oil change. The new camshaft is wearing in nicely and I expect the iron levels to continue to drop.

Harry

The high fuel level reported by Blackstone Labs is probably due to a failed intake manifold gasket. I had it replaced this oil change.

Miles on car-402,232
Miles on oil-5,635
Amsoil AZO 0W-30
Oil filter- EAO-36
Twin Filtermag CT3.2
Golden Eagle magnetic drain plug
4 ozs MoS2
Added 24 ozs makeup oil

Blackstone Labs; Potassium continued to improve this time around, but silicon increased, and wear metals came back up a little as well. We were seeing higher levels of aluminum and iron from a year ago, so we're not ready to call this a new problem, but it would have been nice if things have continued to improve. Fuel is still present, at 0.5%, but that's not a problem level, and the TBN is still OK at 3.5%. The ISO oil cleanliness code was 16/15/12, which is very clean for engine oil. Still, due to the increased wear metals, check back to keep a close eye on things.

Code:
[/code]

Aluminum----------8----------4 universal average

Chromium----------2----------1

Iron--------------31---------9

Copper------------3----------3

Lead--------------1----------2

Tin---------------0----------1

Molybdenum--------224--------78

Nickel------------1----------0

Manganese---------0----------0

Silver------------0----------0

Titanium----------0----------0

Potassium---------7----------3

Boron-------------70---------48

Silicon-----------24---------11

Sodium------------9----------46

Calcium-----------3538-------2158

Magnesium---------18---------125

Phosphorus--------647--------708

Zinc--------------569--------831

Barium------------0----------0

Code:
SUS Vicosity @ 210 F---------61.1-------57-67 (should be)
cST Viscosity @ 100 C-------10.54------9.4-12.4
Flashpoint in F--------------375-------->385
Fuel %-----------------------0.5-------- Antifreeze %-----------------0-----------0
Water %----------------------0---------- Insolubles %-----------------0.3-------- TBN--------------------------3.5-------->1.0

Particle counts for ISO Code 16/15/12;

>=2 micron -----808
>=5--------------299
>=10-------------82
>=15-------------32
>-25-------------7
>=50-------------0
>=100------------0

Since I replaced the cylinder head, iron has been high, although it had been decreasing until this report. The relatively high silicon readings I believe, are due to the copious slathering of silicon sealer applied to the vale cover gasket.

Originally Posted By: harry j
zpinch,

Yes, Blackstone does particle counts and more. how many kms are there in 400,000 miles?

644,000km... which is outstanding, you don't get those numbers in Canada.

Since when does AZO have ~220+ of Moly? 150 is the usual amount... and then I see Zinc is down to 569, I wonder if they are slowly replacing Zinc with Moly?

Great looking report, these engines ROCK.

3000 miles on Amsoil azo. What a waste.

These no doubt in my mind that a less costly conventional would provide similar results for less money.

Mega thumbs up to you. Knowing what the mileage is for the Universal Averages is critical information if you're trending UOAs. All of a sudden the OP's numbers don't look so good.

Skip the additives. Skip the Amsoil. Move up to 10W-30; preferably a heavy one like a HM or HDEO.

Originally Posted By: harry j
Note: The universal average is based on a 3,500 mile oil change interval according to Blackstone Labs.

Back