Rust on Face Plate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I set out to change my oil this morning, and pulled the Mobil-1 filter from the closet of my home that I had stashed there for about a year.

Please see the rust at 9 and 11 o'clock. Is this thing safe to use? I cannot know if the rust there when I bought it, or it developed while in the linen closet behind the sheets for a year. The filter is stamped 011014, which I assume is Jan 10 '14, and it predates the purchase date by about a month.

I don't think I am going to stockpile any more filters, but what about this one?

IMG_0408.jpg

We've all probably used a filter like that at some point without realizing it. I'd give it a wipe with a clean rag to make sure it's not just something on the surface, and then I'd use it.

Bin it and get another one. For the price of a filter do you need to risk a metal flake going down an oil passageway?.

Claud.

Anything that flakes off is going through the filter before getting into the engine. Use it.

I've seen new filters coming out of the box with rust on them. Probably been there since shortly after the roll of steel was made. I would get another filter. If you see some rust, there is probably more that can't be seen.

I ended up pitching it. It is probably ok, but peace of mind is worth $10.

Takeaway: don't buy in bulk and stockpile. It is a false economy. Maybe it was there since day one, but I can't really return it at this point.

A little micron sized iron oxide powder, rouge, will only polish the internals of your engine. Makes your engine better. Use with confidence.

I'm going to disagree with most here because IMO if there is rust on the base plate there could also be rust on the center tube. Look down inside the center hole in the base plate with a strong flashlight and look for any rust on the center tube. If there is some, it could come loose and go directly into the motor.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
I'm going to disagree with most here because IMO if there is rust on the base plate there could also be rust on the center tube. Look down inside the center hole in the base plate with a strong flashlight and look for any rust on the center tube. If there is some, it could come loose and go directly into the motor.

As someone else said, it is the rust you can't see that has me worried. I am getting ready for a cross-country trip of about 3,600 miles, so the peace of mind is worth it.

^^^ Exactly, tossing a $5~7 filter is worth not worrying about anything going wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back