The 1980's

Status
Not open for further replies.
My younger brother had a ton of these haha.

bdwnjc.jpg

I graduate High School in 1990 so I pretty much grew up through the 80's

MTV was awesome in the early 80's played obscure music you didn't hear on the radio. I have been attracted to "alternative" music ever since. To me those alternative and new wave bands were the best part of the 80's!

Girls wore Guess jeans and skirts, and looked real good in them!

Guys wore neon [censored] from Body Glove, Gotcha, OP, etc.

Guys and girls had some wicked hair

McLaren having five world champions (Lauda, Prost x 3, Senna) using first TAG (Porsche) then Honda turbo V6 engines.

Things I remember from the 80's...My 1980 Celica Liftback, hanging out at the arcade in the mall and actually going to the record store in the mall to buy cassette tapes and vinyl LP's. I remember seeing the movies Purple Rain, Streets of Fire, Eddie and the Cruisers, going to the Litchfield Theater in Chattanooga to see the Midnight Movies like Heavy Metal and Apocaypse Now, The Song Remains The Same and Rocky Horror. I remember very well when you could go to the video store and rent the Laser Disc player and Laser Disc movies together, you had to remove your outside UHF antenna jack off the back of the TV to connect the player, and the "better" players had a corded remote with about a 30 foot wire on it..

I still remember cruising around downtown on Friday and Saturday night in my old '72 Chevelle trying to look cool and meet girls with my Radial T/A's and Western mag wheels. My friends and I bought Stroh's beer in bottles at a drive-through package store where they never checked anyone's ID. Alpine Car Audio Lamborghini posters (I hear those are making a comeback and are more valuable now) I remember the very first time I heard a CD, it was Dire Straits' Money For Nothing, more concerts than I could ever remember, Def Leppard in '83 at the UTC Roundhouse in Chattanooga was one of the loudest I ever saw, I think I paid $7.50 for general admission and was up front, stage right, leaning against the barricade...Many great concerts at the Fox Theater and Center Stage Theater in Atlanta, lots of great music back in the 80's and radio stations that played real rock and roll all day and all night, WKLS 96 Rock in Atlanta was a great station back then.

I also remember when my aunt and uncle bought the first microwave oven I ever saw, it was huge and made a lot of noise but we all thought it was a modern miracle, even more ironic was I wound up working in the Tappan microwave oven factory when I was about 20 years old, it the first real job I ever had, I made $5.50 an hour which to me was big money back in those days. I also remember working at the local Auto Shack parts store, which would later become Auto Zone...

Back then I loved 1980-81 Trans Ams, and still do today. I remember what a royal PITA it was to remove the factory radio from the old 1980 to 1986 Mustangs, I remember the first Snap-On truck I ever saw and the first Snap-On tool I ever bought off the truck, it was a small 1/4" combination wrench. I was pulling the dash pad in an old Cadillac to install new speakers and needed that exact wrench for the job, and it just so happened the Snap-On man pulled up to the shop right when I needed it. I still have that wrench in my box today, along with a good many of its Snap-On brethren.. I also remember an obscure truck that came around selling body panel fasteners, electrical connectors, wire, trim adhesives and a lot of other oddball parts.

The 80's were in some ways good, some bad but for me it was a magical time, some of the best times I can remember. There is not enough space here to list all of it.

John Belushi, Dan Aykroyd, Garrett Morris, Jane Curtin, Gilda Radner, Bill Murray...

I remember the first time I saw Talking Heads - they played "Artists Only," and "Take Me to the River" on SNL. I was mesmerized. I also saw Devo for the first time on SNL, and they did "Satisfaction," and "Mongoloid." New Wave was really going strong.

I got two compression fractures in my lumbar spine in 1980, riding a Yamaha IT175 in the Anza-Borrego desert.

I got married to my first wife in 1982. I'm still married to her.

Saw the original lineup of Van Halen at the San Diego Sports Arena.

Started learning plumbing in about 1984, after trying a few other things. I'm still a plumber.

Last edited:
I was young in the 80s but looking back there were so many good memories and cool things to remember. I'm sure today's generation think the 80s were corny.

Although they were slowly being phased out towards the end of the 80's for digital ones;

Jukeboxes with 45's.

I have "Final Countdown" in mine

I was born in 56 so I guess you could say I grew up in the 70's

I came to live in North America (first the U.S. then Canada) in 1980. So I kind of saw the the 80's in a new light (as opposed to a continuation of the 70's)

What I remember here seemed very bland by contrast!

Back in the UK there was Margaret Thatcher, the Falklands war happened, and the countries whole economy was changing with many industries like Coal, Steel, Car manufacturing, collapsing.

Here, the biggest news was Cabbage Patch Kids!

Last edited:
Neverending Story - Limahl

Goonies

Betamax VCR's

Silver Spoon

Axel F - Harold Faltermayer

Tarzan Boy - Baltimora

We are the World - USA for Africa

Do they know it's Christmas - Band Aid

I think we're alone now - Tiffany

Jump - Van Halen

Red Dawn

Fall Guy

Commodore PET and film projectors in classrooms.

Also, I am unable to remember the name of the additional computers we had in a separate room/lab. They had a ball built into them you would roll/spin to move the cursor; I think.

Last edited:
It was my favorite decade, unfortunately i don't remember much of the details, it was a decade long booze fueled non stop party and i lived it to excess.
Everything after that sucks and today is worse than i could have ever imagined.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It was my favorite decade,it was a decade long booze fueled non stop party and i lived it to excess.

^^Same here!!
11.gif

Hair Metal
The Sinclair ZX-80 and ZX-81 computers, the ZX-81 having a whopping 1K of memory that you could upgrade to 16K. Along with the Atari 400/800 computers
Miami Vice, Hill Street Blues and the Cosby Show
ATMs started appearing
Cell phones the size of bricks
Chernobyl
MTV actually played *music*
The Sony Walkman
Atari 2600, Nintendo, Intellivision, Colecovision game consoles
Arcade Video games that used only 1 or maybe 2 buttons and a joystick
Yuppies

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I was in high school 1983-87,good times!! Awesome new wave music (especially the obscure stuff). MTV actually played music. VH1 was pretty good too. Life was great!!

thumbsup2.gif
if you missed 120 Minutes, you would never see that episode again.

Joy Division became New Order. Bauhaus became Love and Rockets.

I thought it would be Frank Zappa that would verbally destroy Tipper Gore and her PMRC. It was actually Dee Snider from Twisted Sister that did it. Never would have guessed that frizzy haired/Mimi Bobeck makeup wearing front man would be the one to humilate the PMRC.

The summer of 1980 was so hot. 69 days of 100°+ days. If they raked the infield, it would create dust. When they watered it to settle the dust, it would bake into hard clay. I started swinging down on pitches so they would bounce on the infield. The fielder would have to wait for it to come back down insuring a few extra steps to first. Texxas Jam features Christopher Cross AFTER Sammy Hagar. Cross threw up from the heat and was booed for most of the set. Mustang 2.3 Turbo is the "fast" Mustang. 255 is the V8

1981 assasination attempt of President Reagan. I saw FEAR on Saturday Night Live. Mustang is still neutered. I wore out my Rush Moving Pictures album.

1982 De Lorean Motor Company dies. I saw a CX500 Turbo and knew I wanted a sportbike. Mustang gets its 302 back. Journey, Sammy Hagar, and Joan Jett played the Texxas Jam. Saw Joan Jett twice that year.

1983 Marine Corps Barracks bombed in Beirut. Mustang gets its 4bbl back. Rush's Signals tour plays Reunion Arena

1984 Orwellian dystopian future turns out to not be so bad. Mustang gets SVO package. I ride all over N Texas with my new license and used CB125. Millions of kids wore out their Van Halen 1984 cassettes playing them over and over again. (and in spite of this, I can still listen to it)

1985 Saw the Dead Kennedys perform. Rode, raced, and wrecked my RD350. PMRC hearings. Mustang 302 gets fuel injection (albeit CFI) Last carbureted 5.0 Mustang

1986 Saw Black Flag perform. Got my GPz550 and a piece of junk 12 year old Celica Mustang gets fuel injection

1987 Iran Contra. Beastie Boys. The Cult releases Electric. I decided that I wanted a 750 hp V12 so I joined the Army.

Originally Posted By: Trav
It was my favorite decade, unfortunately i don't remember much of the details, it was a decade long booze fueled non stop party and i lived it to excess.
Everything after that sucks and today is worse than i could have ever imagined.

You & me both, Trav................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back