2012 Camaro SS Oil Recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello all and thanks in advance. Here are the details of my car:

1. 2012 Chevrolet Camaro SS (6.2L V8), approx. 16,000 miles.
2. Recommendation in owner's manual is dexos1 5W-30 and change interval is based on Engine Oil Life Monitoring system (min. once per year)
3. I live in metro Detroit. The car is stored during the winters and is only driven on nice weather days in the spring, summer, and fall.
4. I drive the car pretty hard, I probably get near redline at some point almost every time I drive it.
5. Car is not a daily driver, but I would say driving is 60/40 for highway/city driving and the average trip is around 20 miles.
6. No known problems on vehicle. All internal engine components are stock, but the vehicle has an aftermarket intake and exhaust system.

I prefer fully-synthetic oil for sure. I've been using standard Mobil1 5W-30 ever since I got the car with a Mobil1 filter, but have heard not so great things about Mobil1 in the past 2 years so thought I should look for something better. I put about 6,000-7,000 miles on the car per year and would really prefer to just change the oil once per year at the beginning of the spring when I remove it from winter storage. It seems most quality synthetic oils should be capable of that.

Please recommend me a good oil

What have you heard about Mobil 1's oils?

I think that a yearly regiment of any Dexos synthetic (including Mobil 1) would be ideal. Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline Synpower, Castrol Edge, etc, all good.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
+ 2 - what are you hearing?

I have a similar routine as you. After I use up the dealer included oil changes this year, I will DIY once per year with M1 and a Wix filter before its put up for the winter. Use the recommended viscosity and really, whatever brand makes you feel good. I get a good deal on M1 at Costco, it's Dexos approved so there's no reason not to use it.

I have heard that Mobil1 changed their formula and that a few years ago it was great stuff, but they have modified some chemicals and it is not what it was. This is purely hear-say and internet forum talk (not this forum) so I don't have anything official to back it up. I would consider people on this forum much more knowledgeable on this topic so if you say Mobil1 is still great stuff, I will stay with it! Should I consider Mobil1 Extended Performance?

"t’s a fact: More than 77 models roll off the factory lines with Mobil 1™ motor oil inside. Chevrolet recently selected Mobil 1 motor oil as factory fill for all 2014 and 2015 Camaro Z/28 models. Mobil 1 synthetic motor oil is designed at the molecular level to provide outstanding protection against weather conditions, wear and sludge buildup, and is a perfect choice for drivers that demand the most out of their high-performance vehicles. The two highest-performance Camaros – the Z/28 and the COPO Camaro drag car – feature Mobil 1 right from the factory."

- that's good enough for me.

https://mobiloil.com/en/article/why-the-...bil-1-motor-oil

Originally Posted By: jwoj3540
I have heard that Mobil1 changed their formula and that a few years ago it was great stuff, but they have modified some chemicals and it is not what it was. This is purely hear-say and internet forum talk (not this forum) so I don't have anything official to back it up. I would consider people on this forum much more knowledgeable on this topic so if you say Mobil1 is still great stuff, I will stay with it! Should I consider Mobil1 Extended Performance?

For the same price (which I think they were last time I checked at my local Walmart), I would say why not use EP. But for your use, you don't need EP.

Extended performance is made for extended intervals. If not extending the interval exactly what gain is to be had using it?
And dexos is all you need,so find any dexos labelled product and your good.
Follow the oil life monitor using a dexos product and nothing more needs to be said.
Yes it's just that easy

Yes, it is technically true that M1 changed their formula (back in the late '90s?), but nobody who knows about motor oil will say it's not an excellent oil. I believe any full synthetic Dexos approved oil will protect your engine just fine (M1, Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Valvoline SynPower, Castrol Edge, Havoline Synthetic, Kendall GT-1, etc). People might argue that they prefer one oil over the other, or that one oil is a better value, but nobody is going to say that M1 isn't an excellent oil. I believe that any of those oils I listed will protect your engine just fine, and none of them will allow anything to happen to your engine that one of the other oils would've prevented.

I'm not just some M1 fanboy blindly saying that M1 is excellent. I myself don't use it because the few times I used it, M1 made my engine louder and not as smooth under acceleration. However, I know it's an excellent oil, it's one of the best oils available, and other people talk about how quiet and smooth it is in their engines. So if you're happy with M1, continue to use it with confidence, and ignore what ignorant people say about M1 online. It really is one of the best oils available.

Originally Posted By: sicko
Yes, it is technically true that M1 changed their formula (back in the late '90s?), but nobody who knows about motor oil will say it's not an excellent oil.

Agreed. We also have to note that everyone has changed their formulas a few years ago, considering that SN/GF-5 and dexos1 are relatively new specifications. That's ignoring the whole base stock issue, and everyone has played with their base stocks over the years, too.

M1 has many different formulas using group 3, 4, and sometimes 5 base stocks.

Most (but not all) US formulas have a good amount of group 3 base stock in them which is mineral oil that has been highly refined. M1 started as a full group 4 (PAO) so now that it uses group 3 in the formulas there are some (Amsoil fanbois) that say it isn't good. And they will show you a bunch of laboratory tests to prove that. But in real world use, there simply isn't going to be any perceivable difference. And UOA results will back this up.

If your happy with M1 then just stick with it. It is top quality oil.

Originally Posted By: sicko

Yes, it is technically true that M1 changed their formula (back in the late '90s?), but nobody who knows about motor oil will say it's not an excellent oil. I believe any full synthetic Dexos approved oil will protect your engine just fine (M1, Pennzoil Platinum, Quaker State Ultimate Durability, Valvoline SynPower, Castrol Edge, Havoline Synthetic, Kendall GT-1, etc). People might argue that they prefer one oil over the other, or that one oil is a better value, but nobody is going to say that M1 isn't an excellent oil. I believe that any of those oils I listed will protect your engine just fine, and none of them will allow anything to happen to your engine that one of the other oils would've prevented.

I'm not just some M1 fanboy blindly saying that M1 is excellent. I myself don't use it because the few times I used it, M1 made my engine louder and not as smooth under acceleration. However, I know it's an excellent oil, it's one of the best oils available, and other people talk about how quiet and smooth it is in their engines. So if you're happy with M1, continue to use it with confidence, and ignore what ignorant people say about M1 online. It really is one of the best oils available.

I'm guessing the formula change happened when Exxon and Mobil merged?

Originally Posted By: EdwardC

CLICK HERE
grin2.gif

Guys, this is really great feedback and I appreciate it. I have a follow-up question...

So it seems M1 EP is really only good for additional miles (approx 15,000 oil change inervals)?

Based on my driving habits as described in the original post, what would you say is an acceptable interval for me to go between oil changes on standard M1??

Originally Posted By: Oil Changer
M1 0W-40.

+ 1

M1 0w40 would be my choice... just a touch thicker than the 5w30, and more robust add pack ..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back