Considering a career change, picking up a trade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi folks,

This is the most out there post I've ever thrown at the BITOG crew,
but I'm thinking about a career change.

I've been doing Mechanical design/ Engineering work for almost 12 years. I'm just frustrated with the desk work and the vague results, and my ability to find interesting work now that we're living in Alberta. It seems like if you're in the field and aren't in oil the jobs are scarce and the pay is low.

I've been wondering about branching out in my career, BUT, I'm specialized enough that it's really difficult. companies usually look for specific experience from what I've seen over the years.

I'm thinking about a trade. My family has been involved in Plumbing for over 100 years, and I've done it off and on. I'm 36 now though, and don't want to tear my body to shreds (although I'm fit and relatively ache free)

I was thinking CNC machining as well, the schooling isn't terrible and it's an easy progression from what I've been doing.

THEN, I think I'll just suck it up, and settle in for another 25 years of desk jockeying.

Ok, so that was more of a blog. Any thoughts, shoot them my way.

Thanks,

Ryan

Do you have a bachelors arts/science degree? Plumbing might be OK if you owned your own business. Oil is a boom/bust career. With engineering you may need to move to an area where there are companies needing mechanical engineers. How about aircraft engineering for someone like Boeing.

Last edited:
Being a cab driver is better than delivering pizzas. Being a courier is better than being a cab driver. Being a plumber is better than being a carpenter. Being an electrician is better than being a plumber. Being a handsome, in-demand movie actor is better than any of these.

Haha, thanks guys. Well at least I'm laughing now.

Yeah, I think I'm over thinking it. I need to point and shoot.

I repaired medical equipment for 20 years and made very good money doing field service for a major manufacturer. When I left field service I was making $35 /hour. All you need is an associates degree and willing to go to various schools. Regular OT without boss asking why you need to work it.

Looking for 2 interns for Tampa - Orlando area in near future.

Countless adults live unfulfilled lives that are often rooted in the fact that they're doing a job that does not satisfy them. They're often doing a job that does not leverage their natural gifts and abilities.

A number of years ago I heard one of my favorite motivation speakers suggested taking the battery of tests at the Johnson O'Connor Research Foundation to find out just what natural skills and abilities you truly have. He then goes on to say that many adults change careers and go on to lead extremely satisfying lives because their "work" is like play - they're finally doing a job that's fun for them because it falls within their natural, human skills and abilities.

"The Johnson O'Connor Research Foundation is a nonprofit scientific research and educational organization with two primary commitments: to study human abilities and to provide people with a knowledge of their aptitudes that will help them in making decisions about school and work. Since 1922, hundreds of thousands of people have used our aptitude testing service to learn more about themselves and to derive more satisfaction from their lives."

http://www.jocrf.org/index.html

Make sense?

smile.gif

Ed

First thing is to get out of Calgary, one of the highest cost-to-live cities in NA. Come to the U.S. I hear immigration policies are easy and there are a lot of jobs available.

I went to trade school for machining. Did CNC programming and setup for a few years. Seems to be lots of machining jobs out there. I'm now on the technical sales side of things. If you have any specific questions just let me know.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Do you have a bachelors arts/science degree?

We really need an answer to this to give any kind of meaningful advice. The more detail the better.

I lived in Calgary for three years doing downstream oil and gas in reclamation.

The pay was pretty good.

Doing a trade for a small employer in Calgary that isn't in Oil and Gas would be very hard to earn a good wage.

It is really sad that Calgary works that way, but that is just how it is.

The non Oil employers seem to try to grab people with some skills and pay them low, then get mad when the employee leaves for better pay in a more oil related job.

Hone your skills in a manner that you can do something oil related with your current skillset when oil booms, then apply it to a related job when it busts.

Keep your stride going, don't try to reinvent yourself during a downturn in Cowtown. Grow your skills you have now and have fun doing it!!

As you are an Albertan I will say this: Alberta has a boom and bust oil economy, it has always been and forever shall it be. Almost every job is either directly related to the oil industry, or merely exists as a reflection of it.

Do you know who makes money hand over fist when oil prices are high? Tradesmen. Do you know who is unemployed when oil prices are low? Tradesmen. You have got to earn it while you can in the trades, because the good times do not last.

Right now is not a time to quit a job where you are earning a liveable wage. Right now is a time to be happy you are still employed. The oil companies are shelving projects left right and centre. No construction = no work for construction trades. This includes residential and commercial construction too. When workers aren't bringing home paychecks, no-one is buying/building new homes. When businesses aren't making profits, they aren't expanding into new office buildings, warehouses etc.

Alberta will enter a depression, in fact it already is. My two cents is to stay behind your desk for the time being.

From my perspective, one needs to find a job they enjoy that pays a reasonable salary. Even being a rock star or Jets QB or James Bond gets to be just a job after awhile. Does not mean you do not enjoy it but you probably would not do it if they did not pay you a salary. (OK I might be James Bond for awhile even with no salary).

There is also the people you come into contact with. My SIL is a police detective and he comes into contact with criminals most of the time. I work in computer security and most people I work with have a college degree and have years of computer experience. Doctors and nurses work with sick people.

My Dad after working for many years at Bell Labs (part of old AT&T) as a physicist quit and opened a nursery growing and selling trees. He said it sucks working for other people. (I paraphrased as my Dad never would have said "sucks").

Then there is also your calling. Why did God put you on this planet?

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
If you are near the oil industry, become a welder.

Tuff on the body but worth the money?

I know a former welder. He was working mostly in highrise construction for over 20 years. He retired in his early 50s, because of various work-related health issues. Based on what he has told me, and based on the wrecked body he has, I'd ask, how much is your health worth to you?

hotwheels

Thanks a lot guys. It means a lot to get so many well thought answers. I appreciate it.

I'm going to filter through this.

I have the equivalent of an associates degree I believe. It's an Engineering Technologists Diploma. 3 yr + 1 yr design introductory course. It's a bit different here in the North.

These types of threads make me want to say "See Dad, I told you so". Clevy, Ed-Fleko, and Donald proved me right.
grin.gif

To the OP, make sure the grass really is greener on that other side of the fence, but don't let unfounded fears keep you from jumping (if that makes any sense).

Best to you.

You just need to find a variation on you skill set. I work as an agricultural engineer in a small company and do 3d modeling, welding, wiring, design analysis, budgeting, design for manufacturing, client meetings, etc as a normal part of my job. It's not my ideal career but it is varied enough to keep it interesting and it uses many of my skills.

I have an AutoCAD certificate, a Graphics Diploma Associates level and a Mechanics Diploma (same deal).

It is post secondary my diplomas, I can compete well enough to find jobs but I am in no way going to be able to buy another new car after the Fit is gone (bought with Calgary money LOL).

I want to come clean, and to help you out truly, and do a little reveal on this site:

I am where I am in life from the 3 years that I lived in Calgary. The windfalls and financial gains from when I moved out there, put me ahead that I can cope living in Montreal making very modest salary.

Hang in there in Calgary and try to enjoy other aspects of life.

I miss hunting in Kananaskis Country and actually SEEING jackrabbits.

The hunting and skiing out East is HORRIBLE!!! I didn't even see ONE rabbit this Winter!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back