API GL-5 Hypoid gear oil
SAE 90 (above 41*F)
SAE 80 (below 41*F)

Front diff:
API GL-5 or GL-6 Hypoid gear oil for LSD
SAE 85w-140
SAE 90
SAE 140

Obviously those single weights are pretty hard to find so I had originally planned on purchasing a gallon of Valvoline 80w-90, which contains the LSD additive and will be enough for the front and rear.

Would the LSD additive in the transmission be an issue? The OM doesn't say otherwise.
21.gif

Last edited:
I will put GL4 in gearbox...and GL5 in diff

GL 4-5-6...has different chemistry....

For inztance if you put GL5 oil in a GL4 gearbox it will chemicaly eat "non ferous" metals in your GL4 gearbox...

But u can use "modified" GL5 wich can be labeled as GL4+.....GL4/5 or GL5 + MT1 spec....

This was my original question.

Originally Posted By: dlundblad
Would the LSD additive in the transmission be an issue? The OM doesn't say otherwise.
21.gif

Front diff specs some thick gear oil. I'd use a full synthetic LSD 75w140 or 75w110.

Rear diff/CVT/clutch.... find a non-LSD 75w90. I wonder how well the CVT belt will work while under the influence of LSD additive. Motul Gear300, Redline 75w90NS, and over the road truck GL5 75w90 usually dont have LSD additive. Marine GL5 also tend to lack LSD additives.

You might want to take a look at the service manual to see what the rear gear oil is lubricating. I wouldnt blindly use the LS 80w90.

The transmission isn't too complex. High, low, neutral and reverse. 2 axle shafts and a drive shaft for the front diff.

It is attached to the engine by a belt that runs along the side.

*Coastal gear oil says it can be used for LSD's as a top off only. ST 75w-90 meets top off LSD specs as well. Would any of these work? They look cheaper and easier to find.

Last edited:
I couldn't get a hold of Coastal (Warren Oil), but apparently ST oil does have an LSD additive? That's what the tech said at Warren Distribution.

The Shell Spirax is a go though. I talked to two different people. One guy recommended the product to me when I said what I needed and the other said "no it doesn't, but you can add some."

The transmission isn't too complex. High, low, neutral and reverse. 2 axle shafts and a drive shaft for the front diff.

And you are complicating about gear oil as it is gearbox straight out of nascar racing car
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

And you are complicating about gear oil as it is gearbox straight out of nascar racing car
smile.gif

Youve been a great help.
smile.gif

I'm afraid you're still missing the picture.

Whether or not the LSD would have harmed the transmission, I don't know. (That was my original question.) Its easy to go to the store and buy a GL-5 90 weight gear oil, but seeing how they all appear pre-dosed with the LSD additive, that was my hesitation. (Once again, refer to first post.)

I ended up getting some Shell Spirax (no LSD additives) for the rear and used some Valvoline Synpower (pre-dosed) in the front.

LSD is GL6

I was suggesting you GL5..especially because you want "one oil for both" solution..so where is a problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back