Oil and Filter Recommendation for 2014 Acura MDX?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Please give oil and filter recommendation for 2014 Acura MDX.

1. What kind of vehicle you have
2014 Acura MDX with optional transmission cooler to provide tow capacity rating of 5000 lbs. Currently with 6000 miles on MDX with oil and filter changed once by dealer (was free and they may have used Honda synthetic blend with Honda filter). I will be driving more miles per year here on out than before.

2. What your owner's manual says -- not just viscosity, but certifications (look for acronyms like API SM, ILSAC GF-4, etc.) and change intervals as well
0W20 with API logo is all it says. Follow maintenance minder for OCI or one year.

3. Where you live
Colorado, so temperatures vary a lot--both high and low.

4. How you drive (easy? hard? fast? slow?)
I drive easy but this vehicle is used about 50-70% of the time towing a 3300 pound (actual weight, just two passengers and 150 pounds of gear in MDX). Much of time driving is in the Rockies (hills!).

5. What your daily drive is like (short trips? long trips? city? highway?)
This is not a daily driver and vehicle can sit idle up to 4 weeks at a time in the winter. When towing on the highway I drive at about 62 mph (85% highway/15% city). Most trips (70%) are 1-3 hours long. Most driving is in the summer and fall. I try not to use this vehicle for any short drives.

6. Whether your car has any known problems
None.

OCI is driven by Maintenance Minder (MM) but an Acura dealer online posted (formal document) range of 4-9,000 miles or one year. First oil change was at one year due to low miles driven but MM would have been at 5% remaining at over 9,000 miles so MM is not indicating that the towing is driving frequent oil change intervals. The manual does not have any OCI specifically when towing or any other special condition. It does for timing belt and rear differential.

I am concerned that this is a direct injection engine and if any oil or OCI can reduce problems with carbon buildup on intake valve area (have not seen any posts on the web showing that this or other Honda engine as having problems with buildup). I believe that buildup on some cars is mostly caused by crankcase gases being recirculated though intake and that no fuel with additives passed through intake due to the DI.

I keep vehicles for many years and over 200,000+ miles (just following manufactures OCI) if they are in good shape. Due to so much towing I possible will sell sooner than 200,000 miles.

Last edited:
Welcome! Your Acura will be happy on the recommended 0W-20 oil. Due to the type of service it will see, I'd use a name brand synthetic oil and change it regularly (such as every 5,000 miles or every 6 months). Not only are you towing, but the engine also has Honda's Variable Cylinder Management. This system, or at least earlier versions of it, have proven to be sensitive to oil change intervals. I'd personally use Mobil 1 0W-20 (only because it's available everywhere for a reasonable price) paired with any quality oil filter.

At least as important as the oil, in my opinion, are your other driveline fluids. Keep your transmission fluid changed regularly (I'd do every 30,000 miles) and keep your SH-AWD fluid changed if your car is equipped with that. Earlier versions of the MDX, with the older VTM-4 AWD system, called for a very early initial fluid change. I don't know if the SH-AWD is the same way. Unfortunately, Acura probably doesn't publish maintenance intervals in your book, other than to say to follow the maintenance minder.

My folks have a 2014 MDX SH-AWD. It's a heck of a vehicle, with performance capabilities that belie its curb weight. I'm sure you will be quite satisfied with this car for a long time.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
Your Acura will be happy on the recommended 0W-20 oil. Due to the type of service it will see, I'd use a name brand synthetic oil and change it regularly (such as every 5,000 miles or every 6 months). Not only are you towing, but the engine also has Honda's Variable Cylinder Management. This system, or at least earlier versions of it, have proven to be sensitive to oil change intervals.

Agree 100%. If it were MY car, I would just change it every 7500 miles with the cheapest synthetic 0W20/5W20 you can find.

In fact, that is exactly what I do on my Acura. Currently 7500 mile change interval on cheap Havoline Synthetic. I use a Fram Ultra filter and change it every other oil change.

If you are going to be changing it yourself, and are averaging less than 20K miles per year, just change it fall and spring to stay off the ground during the brutal cold parts of the winter.

The OLM may actually account for towing if programmed.

The vehicle changes up the stability control to account for towing so the vehicle does "know" something is behind it.

Originally Posted By: badtlc
What oil container do you think looks the coolest?

... or your favourite colour...!

I think the Rotella T6 blue is pretty hip... and QS Defy red is alright too...

Seriously, pick your favorite brand ... and enjoy the truck. The difference between the mainstream brands is minimal. Sure, some show slightly higher this, or lower that, but the average engine likes almost any reasonably fresh oil.

PP, M1, Castrol Edge, QSUD 0w-20 are all fine for 5k-7.5k OCI's

Filter wise the OEM Honda/Acura filter is a Fram product, looks to be somewhere equal to the Tough Guards which would make them fine for up to 10k OCI's

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2983031

You could step up and use the Fram Ultra Guard which is rated to 15k OCI's and change your filter every other oil change.

If you'd rather not use Fram, a Wix (or Napa Gold) would be an excellent choice as well.

Thanks to all for sharing all the knowledge!

I will use the Fram Ultra and like the idea of changing oil twice a year or 5,000 miles. Since Walmart has many high quality full synthetic oils for a little over $26 for five quarts this seems very reasonable.

Advanced Auto has PP with Fram Ultra for $33 and $5 toward next purchase over $10 (Speed Perks) so I went that way this time. I might buy a second set at this price.

I was going to mention the Variable Cylinder Management (VCM) as a possible determining factor but Hokiefyd covered it well.

Would it be beneficial to get a used oil analysis? Would it hint if OCI is OK for VCM? I guess that this might show if longer 7-9000 mile OCI are OK and possibly going to 1 year maximum. I am fine with the more frequent changes just to be safe... Thanks again!

Last edited:
I went to my Acura dealer and purchased 6 OEM oil filters and since I purchased in bulk they sold them to me for $5.15 each or 20% off. As you can see for my J Series V6 (2013 TL) I am using Royal Purple 0W20 and will continue to for the next 35K miles since I scored a lot of it on clearance recently. Prior to RP I ran M1 AFE for 5K and it ran perfectly. Both have been wonderful oil and the motors runs smooth. You need to chose what you are comfortable with.

Most of you making the same mistake by not reading what the Owner Manual say about Maintenance Minder and Oil Life Display.
-----------
At 15%

Explanation

The engine oil life indicator starts
to appear along with other due
soon maintenance item codes
when the remaining oil life
becomes 15 percent.

Information

The engine oil is approaching the
end of its service life.

Maintenance Minder Indicator

WRENCH
Starts to come on when the
remaining engine oil life becomes
15 percent.
It goes off when the display is
switched.
-----------
At 5%

Explanation

The SERVICE message also starts to
appear along with the engine oil
life indicator and the maintenance
item codes.

Information

The engine oil has almost reached
the end of its service life, and the
maintenance items should be
inspected and serviced as soon as
possible.

WRENCH
Starts to come on when the
remaining engine oil life becomes
15 percent.
It goes off when the display is
switched.
------------
Less than 0%

Explanation

The remaining engine oil life has
passed its service life, and a
negative distance appears after
driving over 10 miles (U.S. models)
or 10 km (Canadian models). The
negative distance on the display
blinks.

Information

The engine oil life has passed.
The maintenance items must be
inspected and serviced
immediately.

WRENCH
Stays on as a reminder even when
the display is switched.
------------

The word 'SERVICE' appear on the Oil Life Display when oil need to be changed.
And it happened at 5% not 15%.
You can easy drive 'extra' 10-15% of the oil life.

Or you can change the oil every 5000, or 3000 or even 500 miles if you wish and it will make you sleep better at night .

Don't be lazy, open your Owner Manual yourself and read it and try to understand what it say. If you can.

Mobil 1 0W20, Fram Ultra filter changed when the maint. reminder tells you it's time to do so. I have an oil extractor so it is very easy to do. Also, every other oil change I extract about a 1-2 Qts of ATF fluid and refill with Honda ATF. When it gets a little dark I extract the PS fluid from the reservoir and top it off with Honda PS fluid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back