Recommend me a knife sharpening kit

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had for 20 years a Lansky 5-stone (not diamond) sharpening kit that works works well for smaller knifes. I don't have any complaints, but I wonder if there is a better sharpening system.

hotwheels

I use a lansky as well. I too would like to know if there is something good for bigger knives. Blades over 2 1/2 are a pain for a lansky. Something for large kitchen knives.

I think Wicked Edge would be good, but expensive.
I just do a touch-up with a very fine Arkansas stone, or a cut with a Redi-Edge followed with enough stones to take away the harmonic grooves I cut when using the Redi-Edge.

Edge pro apex. best sharpener I've ever used, and I've tried a few of them out there.

Originally Posted By: 29662
Edge pro apex. best sharpener I've ever used, and I've tried a few of them out there.

Big plus 1 for the Edge pro. It is excellent! Worth the $250 I paid.

I've never had a problem keeping an edge on anything by just using a simple stone and a steel.

Use the stone to get it sharp, use the steel to keep it sharp.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit
I've never had a problem keeping an edge on anything by just using a simple stone and a steel.

+1 A stone and a steel and knowing how to sharpen a knife is the key. Having a father who was a butcher teach me helped too.

I got a Spyderco Sharpmaker for Christmas, and I REALLY like it. I used a Lansky turnbox ceramic kit for years, and it works well... but the Sharpmaker takes it to another level. The standard Sharpmaker comes with medium and fine ceramic rods. Add diamond rods and ultrafine ceramic rods, and you're set.

Messing around with my Benchmade 903 over the weekend, I was able to produce an edge that was splitting arm hair (a 10x jewelers loupe helps).

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I wouldn't expect anything less than the most skilled honing abilities from the master of everything. I actually agree with the caveat that sometimes it's nice to put an exact angle on a blade, which I find easier when using a sharpening system that uses a guide.

hotwheels

As with a couple posters above, I use a Spyderco Sharpmaker with good luck.

I find that longer (kitchen length) knives are a little tougher to do since I tend to slide down faster than I slide across. I have to pay a little more attention.

I've been sharpening for years with a wet stone. I can get a knife good and sharp and it stays sharp.
A while back, I was at my brother and father's shop. My dad said got a knife? I handed him my CRKT My Tighe. He put it to a little carpentry belt sander that he put a leather belt on and polished up my edge with some rouge.
Knife is like a razor now.

I have used several different kits in my day. Everything from chefs choice 15 degree electric, work sharp, lansky, and I have settled on the WICKED EDGE PRO PACK 2...... the edge is a mirror when you're finished and the edge lasts a long time on any knife that has a 55hrc or better.
https://wickededgeusa.com/products/pro-pack-ii
One of my knife racks at the house. Have the same knives in my motorhome for cookoffs.
[Linked Image]
Some of my misono swedish carbon knives are so sharp, they will cut you just looking at it the wrong way.... definitely a non union knife..... lol
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Jmoney7269
I have settled on the WICKED EDGE PRO PACK 2...... the edge is a mirror when you're finished and the edge lasts a long time on any knife that has a 55hrc or better.

$675 !
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted by SubLGT
Originally Posted by Jmoney7269
I have settled on the WICKED EDGE PRO PACK 2...... the edge is a mirror when you're finished and the edge lasts a long time on any knife that has a 55hrc or better.

$675 !
crazy2.gif

You get what you pay for.......
But you get edges that are wicked sharp and not "toothy" which gives the perception something is sharp but dulls quickly and doesnt accept a hone very well......
It's a lesson I have learned over the years which is still what I preach today "buy the best, only cry once"
An edge like this would take over an hour on a whetstone
[Linked Image]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back