Polaris Oil Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been doing a really long search for a alternative to the rather expensive Polaris oil. I really would not mind the price if I could be sure it was really good oil. So far I have seriously looked at Mobil 1 5w50. Then I read that the base of Mobile oil is 3 & not the number 4 base witch is pure synthetic. So I am still undecided. Any help with this matter would really be helpful.

Thank you

Polaris ATV, I presume? Use Mobil 1 with confidence; as you read more hear you should learn that Group III base stocks are very good. if you are still concerned, find some Amsoil - they have a sport line made just for motorcycles and atv's

I run Schaeffer's Racing 5w50 with great results in my Scrambler 850 HO. I have also ran Silkolene 15w50 in the engine and got similarly good results. I think the Polaris engines aren't hard on oil, no more so that a normal car engine. Polaris engines don't have wet clutches or integral transmissions which means that the oil for the engine only has to lubricate the engine, an easier job for oil than other ATV applications. Take a look at Castrol 5w50 if you want an off the shelf product, it has better zinc and phosphorus numbers than the Mobil One 5w50. That being said, the Mobil One 5w50 is a fine oil and would likely work well. The Mobil One 15w50 has better zinc and phosphorus numbers and would be better IMO if you don't regularly ride in very cold conditions. Lots of people run 0w40 or 5w40 with good results they say, but I haven't seen an oil analysis of the lighter viscosity oils in a Polaris engine so I can't say for sure. I have a Ranger 570 that I am currently running Klotz ATV/UTV 0w40 oil in. The engine seems fine with it, but I haven't had it analyzed so I don't know how it's doing really.

Long story short, there aren't many 5w50 oils to choose from. All of them would likely work well in your Polaris, just pick one that's easiest to get and change it fairly regularly, maybe 50 hours of run time, more often if you ride in very dusty conditions.

You don't need to stick with an "ATV" or "motorcycle" oil. Polaris, as mentioned, doesn't have a shared tranny. I think anything with an HTHS > 4 would be fine. Get a UOA at the suggested 50 hour interval to see how whatever oil you choose is holding up.

I'm using M1 5w50 (HTHS 4.4) now but, as soon as I'm out, I'll be trying Delo 5w40 (HTHS 4.1). This will be convenient since I'm running two other vehicles on it.

If you really want Group IV or V, Redline 0/5/10w40 all have high HTHS values. I think their Xw50s are too thick, HTHS over 5!

edit: typo

Last edited:
I have been running delo 5w40 in the wife's quad. Owners manual states a 2w50 that they don't offer.

I don't see the reason for a 50 with her just putting around on the thing.

Originally Posted By: fxrider
Shell Rotella T-6 5W40 Synthetic is all you need .

+1 save your money, buy this. period

Just switched mine from the Polaris PS-4 oil to the AMSOIL ATV/UTV 5W-50 Oil.

I like that it is the recommended viscosity and no warranty concerns since I am outside of that. Plus, Polaris doesn't make the oil that's for sure.

^^Have seen a lot of people using T-6. Maybe someday I'd try that.

I am currently using T6 in my RZR-S 800. But I have some leftover quarts of Amsoil 20w50 from my Harley I sold being that I live in Houston and it gets hot here in the summer could I mix the 20w50 with some Mobil 1 0w40 and be just fine? The oil capacity is 2 quarts. So I was thinking a quart of each. That way it will bring the lower viscosity down some.

Like ccdhowell I used Schaeffer 5w50 racing oil in place of both the engine oil and XP transmission fluid. Both provided outstanding results but particularly in the transmission. With the Polaris oil it would be dirty and have a little metal mush. Some of it could have been breaking in but after switching it comes out super clean. Because my Schaeffer dealer discount went away I switched my entire Polaris to Amsoil (diffs already were). I've always been a huge Amsoil fan and expect the same top notch results the Schaeffers provided.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back