2011 Town and Country Tour-L.. .no DVD screens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm looking at buying a 2011 Town and Country Touring-L. It has the factory in-dash DVD player. However, for some reason that I cannot explain... it does not have any fold down DVD screens in the back. None.

This is a late 2011 built, loaded Touring-L (dual power heated front seats, enter 'n go, navigation), with this one glaring issue. How it rolled off the assembly line like this is a complete mystery to me.

Is there a way to add at least one screen to the upper console in the back? Does the wiring to do so exist above the headliner?

Assuming that this is "do-able", then I would assume that the dealer will have to perform some re-programming to the van itself, as the in-dash only DVD player will only function while the van is in park (which pretty much makes it worthless).

Far be it for me to call myself a Chrysler expert.

On my 2008 Pilot, you could get the DVD player OR the Nav in-dash but not both (as far as I know).

Is there a chance that the in-dash is the Nav system on your car?
Again, could be typing pointlessly here.......

It probably doesn't have (and wasn't supposed to have) the Rear Seat Video system. The in-dash DVD drive could be for music DVDs or for the navigation system. Does it have any auxiliary video input on the dash? Our 2007 Town & Country and our 2005 MDX both have the rear DVD, and both have the RCA component cables for hooking up an aux input. If your van is missing this aux input, then that's another clue that the Rear Seat Video wasn't optioned at the factory.

Our '07 used the single DVD slot in the radio itself for the navigation disc, and had a separate 6-disc DVD changer in the bottom of the center console stack for the Rear Seat Video. Our MDX is somewhat similar. There is a 6-disc CD changer in the radio, a single slot DVD lower in the center console for the rear screen, and the navigation disc drive is under the front passenger seat. In other words, there are usually multiple disc drives if you have both navigation and a rear entertainment system.

It's not likely that one could easily add it. The harness is probably different enough that it wouldn't be cost effective to do.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
It probably doesn't have (and wasn't supposed to have) the Rear Seat Video system. The in-dash DVD drive could be for music DVDs or for the navigation system. Does it have any auxiliary video input on the dash? Our 2007 Town & Country and our 2005 MDX both have the rear DVD, and both have the RCA component cables for hooking up an aux input. If your van is missing this aux input, then that's another clue that the Rear Seat Video wasn't optioned at the factory.

Our '07 used the single DVD slot in the radio itself for the navigation disc, and had a separate 6-disc DVD changer in the bottom of the center console stack for the Rear Seat Video. Our MDX is somewhat similar. There is a 6-disc CD changer in the radio, a single slot DVD lower in the center console for the rear screen, and the navigation disc drive is under the front passenger seat. In other words, there are usually multiple disc drives if you have both navigation and a rear entertainment system.

It's not likely that one could easily add it. The harness is probably different enough that it wouldn't be cost effective to do.

X2. I don't deal with Chrysler hardly at all, but this sounds like the most likely scenario. The DVD slot in the dash is so it can accept navigation update discs, and if it was optioned without rear seat entertainment and there is not an accessory kit available, it may be cost prohibitive to add the factory components. If you can't find an aftermarket kit you like and this is a must have feature, you may be better off passing on this van unless you are prepared to spend $2K adding this feature or trying to get the dealer to work it into the sale.

A rough estimate of the parts to deal with this scenario in a Traverse is $790...that would be for roof display, headphones, remote, mounting bracket, receiver module, roof wiring harness, console, etc. BUT, that assumes that the rest of the audio system is compatible and doesn't need to be changed. If for example the headunit needed to be replaced to do this, that would be a $2K part by itself, and it's a restricted part, so basically GM won't sell a brand new one unless the car was involved in a crash, fire, or theft. GM also won't warranty adding on parts that are not authorized accessories and not for that vehicle originally by the VIN.

In the case of the Traverse (just using it as a rough example of a similar vehicle since I have the catalog for it), there is an accessory kit for vehicles NOT optioned with the rear seat entertainment package from the factory. This kit adds two headrest displays...and it costs about $2K and calls for 2 hours of install time. I think your best bet would be to ask the Chrysler parts dept if there is an accessory kit and price it. If there is, try to get the selling dealer to work it into the sale.

Some electronic/comfort features have become more plug & play over the years, but audio/entertainment is the opposite. It's getting very difficult to a la carte add factory audio/entertainment equipment. If there's not an accessory kit, you probably are best off going aftermarket or leaving it alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back