2014 Ford Fusion - tall folks need not apply?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm 6'2" too and the 2014 VW Jettas are hard to get into too, the doorframe is so short!

Originally Posted By: Miller88
That's one thing I love about smaller cars. Mid and full size cars seem to be low and sleek. Small cars are small and tall - and fit taller people better.
Yup. I've never been in a car with more room that my Beetle. Not in the back seat, but in the passenger seat with it scooted back all the way, I'm 6'2" and my feet can't reach under the dash there's so much room. Tons of headroom too and the car is like driving a space ship.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
That's one thing I love about smaller cars. Mid and full size cars seem to be low and sleek. Small cars are small and tall - and fit taller people better.
Yup. I've never been in a car with more room that my Beetle. Not in the back seat, but in the passenger seat with it scooted back all the way, I'm 6'2" and my feet can't reach under the dash there's so much room. Tons of headroom too and the car is like driving a space ship.

laugh.gif

The New Beetle does have a crazy amount of headroom and forget about retrieving that parking garage ticket from the base of the windshield/dash...that's like 9 feet away!
crackmeup2.gif

The '73-'87 Chevrolet C10 has like 5 feet of headroom and 24 inches of legroom. I always wondered about the person that designed that. Was his slide rule broken or did he have freakishly short legs and like to wear oversize foam novelty hats?

I always had to drive with the seat in a "gangsta' lean" in my wife's old PT Cruiser. Windshield is too short. I fit in the back just fine even with the sunroof but not in the front.

I have smacked my head twice now getting into the 200. The roof edge hangs way down and the pillars are crazy thick. Probably fare well in a rollover but they are wide.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Originally Posted By: Nick1994

laugh.gif

The New Beetle does have a crazy amount of headroom and forget about retrieving that parking garage ticket from the base of the windshield/dash...that's like 9 feet away!
crackmeup2.gif

The '73-'87 Chevrolet C10 has like 5 feet of headroom and 24 inches of legroom. I always wondered about the person that designed that. Was his slide rule broken or did he have freakishly short legs and like to wear oversize foam novelty hats?

I always had to drive with the seat in a "gangsta' lean" in my wife's old PT Cruiser. Windshield is too short. I fit in the back just fine even with the sunroof but not in the front.

I have smacked my head twice now getting into the 200. The roof edge hangs way down and the pillars are crazy thick. Probably fare well in a rollover but they are wide.

Try cleaning the windshield in a Beetle! What a pain! But a large pizza does fit between the instrument cluster and the windshield and won't slide around, even with evasive maneuvers! I'm too tall to sit in the back seat, and it's even worse on the 2013 Beetle. In my aunt's 70' Beetle there's actually lots of headroom in the back seat. I don't know what goes through the minds of car designers. My step mom has a Pontiac G6 which is mechanically a Malibu. The back seat has no headroom, why couldn't they have lifted the roof a little!?

No center arm rest? Guess the 13 and 14 Fusions we got are different than others. There is a big honking console with a padded surface in the middle that serves as the arm rest.

The complaints we get are the guys who will only be happy if we give them an SUV or Truck. You know, guy vehicles.

It's a car. Get over it...

In fleet use, I'm a firm believer of right sizing the vehicle to the use. There is no need to issue a full size truck to guys hauling air on paved roads every day. We've got full size trucks in our fleet without a scratch in the bed. But they don't want to drive one them sissy cars...

Well I've been driving it around and I kind of like it now. I've got the seat phenagelled to where I'm comfortable and can reach everything and if I remember to tuck my head I don't bang it on the roof pillar every time. It handles well but has kind of a disconnected feel from the road or maybe insulated from road feel is a better description.

Only have it through next weekend then its back to the Impala hooptie with six digits of mileage on the odo.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
.... It handles well but has kind of a disconnected feel from the road or maybe insulated from road feel is a better description.

That's Ford.

The previous generation was mechanically a Mazda6, but it doesn't drive like one.

Like they purposely engineered the feel out of the chassis and steering. A 2006 Fusion is quieter than my Mazda but the steering feel is absent. It lulled me into a false sense of familiarity on the freeway because the controls are in the exact same places, they just don't respond the same.

I think someone on BITOG described it as being engineered for the "Lowest Common Denominator Driver".

I love everything about our Sonata except for the antiquated footwell parking brake and passenger side A-pillar blind spot.

That is one reason I LOVE my 08 Scion xB... I am 6'5" and hate having to sit in the backseat to drive a car without my head hitting the roof. The xB I can sit up as tall as I want and still have 6-8" above my head. It's just so open and comfortable.

Originally Posted By: Spazdog
Like they purposely engineered the feel out of the chassis and steering.

My 2011 Camry had more road feel and response than the 2011 Fusions we have at work. Don't get me wrong: I think the Fusion's chassis has more total capability, but there was ZERO feel. The Camry's 4-strut chassis actually gave a pretty decent road feel. The front suspension was a little under-damped, but otherwise, it was pretty good.

But my tastes probably change over time as well. My 2008 CR-V offers excellent road feel, and a pretty firm ride as well. We have a 2009 Escape Hybrid at work that has really started to grow on me. It has a more compliant ride and steering feel, while mostly non-existent, is very "smooth". It's hard to describe, but I like it...more, each time I drive it.

No issues with the '15 fusion SE with 1.5 ecoboost I drive for work. I'm only 5'11", but I found it more comfortable on long drives than the '14/'15 escapes with same options (se, luxury leather). We have a few escapes with 1.6 ecoboost and they seem fine except the fuel economy in city. If it had power seats, you can set easy entry / easy exit that slides the driver seat full rearward when remove key and back to position when insert key. Just don't yank the key with a long legged adult sitting behind you. Oops....

Transmission did lug the engine a little initially, but it improved as I drove it. Similar to my F-150 personal truck with the 6R80 as far as how quickly it learned with the adaptive shift; 1500-2000mi. Sport mode does wake it up more, but I've had no issues in hours of city stop and go (0-60-0) or highway. Driving 3-4 hours a day avg. 29-30mpg city, 35-36mpg highway and has no trouble smoking the stock Michelin tires. Has actually been fun to drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back