New All-Weather tire from Michelin

Status
Not open for further replies.
It is called the CrossClimate, and Michelin says
"………..With official approval for winter use, the MICHELIN CrossClimate tire is a combination of summer and winter tire technologies, incompatible until now…."

It has an aggressive, directional tread design, and is intended for the European market. They are really making a big deal out of this, calling it a "turning point in history" as if they had never heard of the Nokian WR-G3.
crackmeup2.gif

http://www.michelin.com/eng/Home-Micheli...oint-in-history

Please, no more talk of snow tires until November.
I'm emotionally unable to discuss it!
Last Saturday was the first time in months that water could be viewed in its pure liquid form outside my house.

Originally Posted By: bullwinkle
They must have never heard of the Goodyear Assurance TripleTreds??

Don't even bring those up
Yeah, there good in the rain
They also ride worse then a brick, and gave me a pounding headache in a half hour highway jaunt from the tone they make.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Please, no more talk of snow tires until November.
I'm emotionally unable to discuss it!
Last Saturday was the first time in months that water could be viewed in its pure liquid form outside my house.

I'll make a note to save winter tire talk until it's 100 degrees and 100% humidity. I am going to be buying a set this summer ...

The Nokian WR-G3 is per Nokian an all-weather tire. Hankook Optimo 4S, Goodyear Assurance TripleTred, Pirelli P7 and BFG A/T are all all-season tires. I have yet to see an A/S tire that has winter tire approval. A/S tires have M+S printed on them, true winter tires sport a mountain logo with a snowflake in it.

With an increasing number of European countries requiring the use of winter tires instead of allowing all-season tires during snowy and icy conditions, I am not surprised at Michelin developing a product that fulfills the winter requirements while offering year-round use.

The Cross Climate has winter approval and is thus rated as a snow tire, while apparently also meeting the performane requirements of a summer tire. Whether and under which conditions it's really superior to an all-season or equal to a conventional winter and summer tire remains to be seen.

hotwheels

It has the 3-peak-mountain-snowflake, so it's a legal snow tire with presumed summer manners. That'd go good in quebec, too, I bet, where they legally have to run winter tires.

Cooper recently also released a tire that is an all-season but also has the mountain/snowflake logo.

The Cooper tire is a light truck tire, though:
http://us.coopertire.com/Tires/Light-Truck/Discoverer-A-TW.aspx

Since we don't get enough winter to justify snow tires in my area, but we still can large snows, an all-season tire with a winter rating would be appealing to me.

I use winter performance as one of my main criteria when selecting tires.

Originally Posted By: hotwheels
The Nokian WR-G3 is per Nokian an all-weather tire. Hankook Optimo 4S, Goodyear Assurance TripleTred, Pirelli P7 and BFG A/T are all all-season tires. I have yet to see an A/S tire that has winter tire approval. A/S tires have M+S printed on them, true winter tires sport a mountain logo with a snowflake in it.

The Hankook Optimo 4S actually does have the severe snow rating. You can see the mountain/snowflake on this page if you look closely at the photo.
http://www.hankooktire.com/global/passenger-cars-tires/hankook-optimo-4s-h730.html

.... Hankook Optimo 4S, Goodyear Assurance TripleTred, Pirelli P7 and BFG A/T are all all-season tires....

I beg your pardon, for Hankook 4S is all-weather tire, with RAC approved stamping on the side of the wall (winter/ice approved).

I'm currently running a set on my fit.

Q.

Originally Posted By: Quest
.... Hankook Optimo 4S, Goodyear Assurance TripleTred, Pirelli P7 and BFG A/T are all all-season tires....

I beg your pardon, for Hankook 4S is all-weather tire, with RAC approved stamping on the side of the wall (winter/ice approved).

I'm currently running a set on my fit.

Q.

I beg your pardon. I looked at the Hankook website where they call it an A/S tire and I did not see any mention of RAC approval anywhere. I'll take your word for it that it's on the tire. I did not intend to missguide or to offend anyone.

You are holding out on us by not telling us how that tire performs.

hotwheels

My new General RT43's are far better in snow/ice than my Goodyear Triple Treads ever were. Honestly, living in Cleveland and driving to go skiing in Western New York every weekend I can't believe real winter snow tires are much better than the RT43's.

With an increasing number of European countries requiring the use of winter tires instead of allowing all-season tires during snowy and icy conditions, I am not surprised at Michelin developing a product that fulfills the winter requirements while offering year-round use.

The Cross Climate has winter approval and is thus rated as a snow tire, while apparently also meeting the performane requirements of a summer tire. Whether and under which conditions it's really superior to an all-season or equal to a conventional winter and summer tire remains to be seen.

hotwheels

The BFG AT DOES have the snowflake on it.

I remember reading about other all season tires that have the mountain-snowflake symbol: http://blog.tirerack.com/blog/hunters-ra...rvice-standards

Also, based on what I understand from capriracer's posts, the mountain snow flake symbol is a self imposed logo. Tests are done to compare the traction in a controlled environment compared to a reference tire, and if it has more traction, it can have the symbol.

That doesn't mean that there aren't some all-season tires that could meet that traction spec, just that they manufacturer didn't put it on.

My thoughts are that maybe they need to update the specs to ensure that snow tires with the mountain snow flake are indeed better for snow, ideally better than any all season.

I believe the all season and all weather labels are not regulated, just marketing terms.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2

hotwheels

The BFG AT DOES have the snowflake on it.

I'm beginning to suspect that many A/S tires have now the snowflake on it. All I know for sure is that in snowy and very cold conditions I'd use nothing but a winter tire.

hotwheels

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back