Protectant for rubber suspension bushings

Status
Not open for further replies.
My CRV is now 12 years old and the suspension bushings still look great; there is no visible cracking and no squeaks. I want to protect the rubber bushings and was wondering if people spray them with a protectant such as silicone spray or possibly even armor all?

You can spray them but that wont soak into them or get into any part but the area you see.

nothing can slow down the rot of rubber suspension parts (bushings, etc.), IMO.

ground level ozone, heat, natural oxidation, etc. and the quality of the rubber (and the vulcanisation process control, etc.) will take it's toll on them.

You can spray anything you like, but nothing will/can stop that process.

The only way is to leave them rubber bushings on the car and drive happy. When time comes and bushings go bad, replace them with new ones.

same applies to CV boots. Nothing can stop them from rotting out. So far, I've seen only 1 type which is syn-rubber blend that lasts a long, long, long time in-service without any intervention of any kind...no spray silicone, no armouraull.

Q.

I thought some suspension bushing were suppose to supple a resistance to a lever or shaft. Therefore, I would not lubricate those rubber pieces. Ed

You have the right idea. Personally this last go around i used clear tire spray. Dont forget the brake hoses. How i see it, if it looks good it should be protected, like wax on paint. Just consider this stuff attracts dust, dirt and sand. It took me three coating and wiping before I was satisfied enough to leave them alone for the time being. I will probably coat them again when i have the tires off until they look like new, then use a damp w/water towel to wipe the excess-pretty much sealing IN the protectant and having it not as glossy so it wont attract dirt.

Thanks for all the replies. I just bought some 303 Aerospace protectant on ebay. I'll try it out and keep my fingers crossed.

I had alway thought about, "plastering" some silicon/synthetic brake lube(like, Permatex Black e.g.) on my rubber bushing(once a year). And do this on a regular basis to see if over time, the bushing lasted longer than not doing it on my past vehicles, i.e.

Silicone or anything else unless water based will destroy the rubber. Most anything you could put on that won't cause harm will wash off!

Originally Posted By: Kool1
My CRV is now 12 years old and the suspension bushings still look great; there is no visible cracking and no squeaks. I want to protect the rubber bushings and was wondering if people spray them with a protectant such as silicone spray or possibly even armor all?

Leave them be. They are designed to be dry and spraying them with something may detiorate them and or attract dirt and grime.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back