SuperS Syn Blend?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When something says "synthetic blend", is there a requirement for a minimal percentage of at least Group III (synthetic) base stock?

I did hear that Pennzoil dexos1 Synthetic Blend is 50% synthetic, yet how do we know others aren't just 10% synthetic, like this SuperS ?

Of course to be a dexos1 you have to be a synthetic blend at least, but thats another story, and still doesn't say what percentage will do it.

I would say its a decent oil.

http://www.pqiamerica.com/Feb2014/supers.htm

In the case of this 5W20 it seems to be a better than average oil that compares well with most name brand name conventionals (Which are usually SynBlends).

Calcium based add pack with moly and boron. Better NOAK than most.

Sorry I cant find a recent test of 5W30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boundarylayer
When something says "synthetic blend", is there a requirement for a minimal percentage of at least Group III (synthetic) base stock?

I did hear that Pennzoil dexos1 Synthetic Blend is 50% synthetic, yet how do we know others aren't just 10% synthetic, like this SuperS ?

Of course to be a dexos1 you have to be a synthetic blend at least, but thats another story, and still doesn't say what percentage will do it.

If you're curious, try emailing them and see if they reply. If it is 50% synthetic, they would probably tell you. If it is less than 50% synthetic, you'll most likely get a vague answer to protect trade secrets, etc.

Couldn't hurt to ask. Seems like a smaller blender getting on the national market would like to have interest in the products they offer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back