Castrol Edge Extended Performance 5W30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blackstone comment:
This is the virgin sample of Castrol Edge 5W/30 you sent in. The main additive in this sample is
calcium, a detergent/dispersant additive. Boron is another detergent/dispersant additive. There are similar levels of phosphorus and zinc (ZDDP), as well as some molybdenum, all of which are anti-wear additives. This oil contains titanium as well. No contamination is present. The TBN is 7.7 and the TAN measured 3.1. The viscosity was in the correct range for 5W/30 as well. This oil is ready to be put into service.

Code:

ALUMINUM 0

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 1

COPPER 0

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 64

NICKEL 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 22

BORON 310

SILICON 4

SODIUM 2

CALCIUM 1950

MAGNESIUM 8

PHOSPHORUS 604

ZINC 737

BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 59.1

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.96

Flashpoint in °F 440

Fuel % -

Antifreeze % -

Water % 0

Insolubles % 0

TBN 7.7

TAN 3.1

Pretty sad for me. This is an oil that should be suitable for 15k service interval. But I see that TBN is just 7.7. Detergent additives are not great too, moly and titanium are in homoeopathic dozes. The only bright spot is boron.

I am of the opinion that many of us put to much stock in VOAs considering that organic additives are not visible. But, that is surely our choice.

Last edited:
I thought Castrol used more Magnesium. I guess that's just in the regular Edge and not the Extended Performance version.

This does not look like any castrol edge. There's no titanium or magnesium in the VOA. It's also pretty thin for a 5w30 and castrol is usually on the thicker side of things... Something doesn't seem right.

Adjustment:
Titanium: 22, Potassium: 0.

Sad misprint. Other numbers looks correct. And yes, this is an Edge from gold bottle.

Wow really, zero titanium? I though Castrol was heavily marketing it, too! And Edge has usually had high TBN's over 11 from other VOA's and PQIA.

Funny the Blackstone comment says it contains titanium, yet in the table it says 0

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Wow really, zero titanium? I though Castrol was heavily marketing it, too! And Edge has usually had high TBN's over 11 from other VOA's and PQIA.

Funny the Blackstone comment says it contains titanium, yet in the table it says 0

No, this was my misprint. It has 22 ppm of titanium. But still not too much.

This doesn't look like Castrol at all as we know it to be.... so little Ti and no Mg? Did you shake the bottle? I suspect the Lab mixed the sample up.... I am not gonna buy this at least for the time being.....

Disappointed in this VOA..

I planned to run mine for 15K, I'm thinking maybe 10K now.

I've got time to stew on it..

Yes something is not right, that oil is rated ACEA A5/B5 and the minimum TBN of that spec is of 8.0.

I think to recall that Blackstone changed the way they measure the TBN and that the new method yields lower numbers than the old one. Can anyone confirm this???

Looks more like the Mobil AFE line of oils (with the not-VOA-friendly organic additives) than a BP product, LOL!

Not going to judge based on a single VOA, nobody in their right mind would ever do that. Certainly not anyone with a science background. Lets see the average of five or better yet a half dozen UOA's at 15k.

Only religion puts faith in a single result...

Blackstone should run another VOA analysis at no charge. Show them PQI America's test for comparison; the two don't match up at all.

Originally Posted By: timeau
Originally Posted By: tommygunn

No, this was my misprint. It has 22 ppm of titanium. But still not too much.

Says who?

How do you know whether or not those levels are adequate to provide the desired result.

A voa is nothing more than a test to see if the oil is serviceable. That's it. A voa can't detect organic additives so it's barely a measure of the oil as a whole.
And starting TBN isn't even relevant. Tbn retention is the important value so it's not even worth mentioning
Castrol makes a good product and if they claim 15000 mile intervals I'm betting the oil is able to make it unless the duty cycle is severe.
A voa is only to confirm the oil is serviceable,which the lab confirms.
And since when is molybdenum an anti-wear agent. It's a friction modifier and may or may not affect wear in the least. Interesting that the lab stated that.

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
Yes something is not right, that oil is rated ACEA A5/B5 and the minimum TBN of that spec is of 8.0.

I think to recall that Blackstone changed the way they measure the TBN and that the new method yields lower numbers than the old one. Can anyone confirm this???

Yes, Blackstone switched from ASTM D2896 to ASTM D4739 and the result is lower TBN numbers. PQIA uses the D2896 method and I think the majority of VOA's in this forum are probably from the D2896 method.

Timeau, thanks for posting and don't be disappointed about this VOA. The TBN using the other method would probably be at least 10 and the combination of calcium and boron makes for a good detergent package (albeit a different look for BP). The viscosity is lower than we're used to seeing from Castrol but it's right in line with other current 5W30 oils.

My experience with Castrol heavy duty oils is that their TBN remains strong throughout a long oci. I bet this oil will do well, too.

Looking forward to seeing more VOA's in the future. If I'm down a quart, I may purchase one and do a VOA.

Originally Posted By: timeau
Blackstone comment:
This is the virgin sample of Castrol Edge 5W/30 you sent in. The main additive in this sample is
calcium, a detergent/dispersant additive. Boron is another detergent/dispersant additive. There are similar levels of phosphorus and zinc (ZDDP), as well as some molybdenum, all of which are anti-wear additives. This oil contains titanium as well. No contamination is present. The TBN is 7.7 and the TAN measured 3.1. The viscosity was in the correct range for 5W/30 as well. This oil is ready to be put into service.

Code:

ALUMINUM 0

CHROMIUM 0

IRON 1

COPPER 0

LEAD 0

TIN 0

MOLYBDENUM 64

NICKEL 0

SILVER 0

TITANIUM 0

POTASSIUM 22

BORON 310

SILICON 4

SODIUM 2

CALCIUM 1950

MAGNESIUM 8

PHOSPHORUS 604

ZINC 737

BARIUM 0

SUS Viscosity @ 210°F 59.1

cSt Viscosity @ 100°C 9.96

Flashpoint in °F 440

Fuel % -

Antifreeze % -

Water % 0

Insolubles % 0

TBN 7.7

TAN 3.1

Pretty sad for me. This is an oil that should be suitable for 15k service interval. But I see that TBN is just 7.7. Detergent additives are not great too, moly and titanium are in homoeopathic dozes. The only bright spot is boron.

Starting tbn doesn't mean a whole lot. What matters is retention. Some oils start very high but deplete fast,others are opposite.
I don't get the trend for doing voa. Why pay for something the pqia does for free,and unless you are using the exact oil being analyzed,then a used oil analysis of that oil a voa really doesn't say much.

interesting thread. there's a rollback at walmart on the gold bottle castrol and was thinking about trying it after i tried the black bottle castrol eduge (also on rollback) but this thread is making me change my mind and i'll just get the black castrol on rollback since the gold one isn't worth it
but the black pennzoil, i believe, is worth it over the regular pennzoil platinum as well as mobil 1 ep over mobil 1 regular, these are the 3 premium priced synthetics commonly available at walmart but most walmarts stopped carrying pennz black but luckily this one not far from me has (the other ones dont')

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back