Oil Recommendation-2015 Honda Accord V6

Status
Not open for further replies.

akv

I recently purchased a 2015 Honda Accord V6 and am trying to decide what the best oil is for my application.

The manufacturer recommends 0w-20 with the API certification seal.

I drive a combination of city streets and freeways on trips that are 5-10 miles and do not do much distance driving in this vehicle. I would describe my driving style as "moderate."

I intend to follow the recommendation of the Honda Maintenance Minder in order to not have issues with the warranty. Longer OCIs are a stretch for me right now, as I have been changing my other cars every 3,000-5,000 miles.

My dealership uses an a local produced (re-refined) synthetic blend from Universal Lubricants called Eco Ultra. I have seen very little about it and don't see a 0w-20 listed on their website. They only stock this bulk oil and Honda "Genuine," but said they were open to me bringing in my own oil or they could order it from a local parts house for a very high price.

I think I want to go with a full synthetic product and am pretty open to varieties from the major producers. I would like to be able to buy it locally and at a reasonable price.

Because I am going with the Honda suggested OCI, I doubt I will get long enough intervals to make Amsoil or the like make sense.

Please give me your thoughts.

Thanks!

Doesn't your car have the computerized maintenance minder to tell you when to change the oil?

Personally, I'd use Mobil 1 from Walmart and call it a day.

Leo-Yes, the car has a computerized system.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Welcome to the Forum!

Suggest you perform two early LOF changes as the engine is breaking in and then purchase a higher quality synthetic (than the dealer offers) at Walmart, such as Mobil 1 or Pennzoil Platinum 0W-20...and pay the dealer $10 - $15 for labor. 0W-20 is near optimal for your short 5 - 10 mile short trips.

Find a place with Mobil 1 0w-20 either on sale or at a good price. Buy two 5-quart jugs of it, and submit your rebate to get $24 back (https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/up-to-15-dollars-off-with-mobil-1-and-mobil-super).

Take one of the jugs with you when you take your car to get the oil changed.

After using the first one, start keeping a eye out for the next good deal/rebate on some quality synthetic oil (Mobile 1, Pennzoil Platinum, Valvoline SynPower, Kendall GT-1, Havoline, etc) so you can repeat the process you did with the Mobil 1.

If I were you I would use Mobil 1 AFE 0w20. If you are looking for an oil filter the Fram Ultra is a perfect match, especially since Honda says to change the filter every other OCI.
Oh, and
welcome2.gif
to BITOG! We are glad to have you.

+1 on the Mobil 1 0w20 full synthetic. See my signature block, that's what I'm using on my two new Honda's. I changed the Civic at 40%/6500 miles and did a UOA, I could have waited a little longer. I changed the Accord last week at 30%/8000 miles. That's the lowest I'm willing to go.

BTW, I consider your short trips as "extreme service", as most owner's manuals say also.

Last edited:
The manufacturer recommends 0w-20 with the API certification seal. Just buy the recommended oil.

Welcome to BITOG!

My recommendation is to use the cheapest synthetic 0w20 that's on sale.

Right now, Advance Auto Parts has Mobil Super Synthetic for $21.99 including a Driveworks filter (for $2 more, you can upgrade to the Purolator PureOne which has an awesome textured grip). And since the Driveworks is Chinese, I'd highly recommend the upgrade filter.

Napa Synthetic frequently goes on sale for $3.79/qt. It's rebranded Valvoline Synpower. You just missed the most recent sale last month, but don't worry, they put it on sale 2-3x per year.

Universal Lubricants make a full synthetic 0w-20 called Super XHD, maybe that is what your dealer is carrying. It looks to be a group III oil so it would probably do just fine.

Otherwise M1 0w-20 would be a solid choice.

Originally Posted By: tommygunn
Welcome to BITOG!

My recommendation is to use the cheapest synthetic 0w20 that's on sale.

Right now, Advance Auto Parts has Mobil Super Synthetic for $21.99 including a Driveworks filter (for $2 more, you can upgrade to the Purolator PureOne which has an awesome textured grip). And since the Driveworks is Chinese, I'd highly recommend the upgrade filter.

Napa Synthetic frequently goes on sale for $3.79/qt. It's rebranded Valvoline Synpower. You just missed the most recent sale last month, but don't worry, they put it on sale 2-3x per year.

To the OP, please avoid using Purolator oil filters. I am not sure if you have been lurking on BITOG before joining but Purolator is going through a rash of tearing oil filters, allowing dirty oil to pass through your engine. IMHO I would go with a Honda OEM oil filter, a Fram Tough Guard, or Fram Ultra. That filter paired with a name brand available at Walmart Synthetic is inexpensive and will provide peace of mind.

Honda does not recommend filter changes every other. I'm confused as to why people think that. Service codes A and B are both LOF.

Every Honda owners manual that I have seen says to change the filter every other OCI, including both of mine.

Originally Posted By: Jiffy_Chris
Honda does not recommend filter changes every other. I'm confused as to why people think that. Service codes A and B are both LOF.

Code A is replace just the oil.

Originally Posted By: Jiffy_Chris

We've had about 20 Hondas in our family - I don't recall any of the manuals stating "LOF." I think you need to review the codes. Wow - this has been beaten to death on this forum and others.

Just curious - does the Jiffy in you user name have any significance?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back