Differential Fluid for Detriot Truetrac Ford 8.8

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks for the great thread guys!

I am going to install a Trutrack in my '12 Mustang very soon. I just wanted to see if anyone has any new experiences to add over the last ~5 years.

IDK if you have a preference but, AAP has Mobil 1 Synthetic Gear Oil on sale!
smile.gif
If this means anything to ya! You may want to stock up!

75W90 "LS"(limited slip) for $10.99/qt and 75W140 "LS" for $19.99/qt.

Otherwise, I have nothing on the TrueTrack!

Thanks for the heads up, but given Eaton's stance on synthetic lube, I wouldn't use it unless there is some empirical data of that specific fluid working well.

I'm a big fan of Amsoil lubricants, and it sound like one guy had good luck with it in his Trutrack.

Eaton's design is strong and simple, but unfortunately very sensitive to the coefficient of friction between the pinion gears and their pockets in the carrier. Synthetics due a great job of reducing this, normally a great thing, but in this case it reduces your bias as well.

If you want MAX bias in an 8.8 axle (especially for handling/road course scenarios), then I would go for Ford Racing's Torsen T2R.
thumbsup2.gif

MUCH higher biasing than the Truetrac, but yes, also more coin as well.

IF the one they offer for the GM 10 bolts did not have so many case cracking problems it is what would be in my axle right now.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
If you want MAX bias in an 8.8 axle (especially for handling/road course scenarios), then I would go for Ford Racing's Torsen T2R.
thumbsup2.gif

MUCH higher biasing than the Truetrac, but yes, also more coin as well.

IF the one they offer for the GM 10 bolts did not have so many case cracking problems it is what would be in my axle right now.
wink.gif

Hmmm, interesting. The T2R is supposed to have 4:1 bias, and I've seen the Trutrack listed as 3.5:1. The T2R is about $200 more though. For my DD, I'm going to stick with the Eaton.

Well, the Trutrack is lodged solidly in my Mustang's axle housing!

Right before I put it in, I stumbled on a thread, with a number of people [censored] about the Trutrack. Basically, that it is noisy (popping, clicking, winding, ratcheting, howling, crunching, etc). I was a little worried.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?715621-8-8-TrueTrac-Problems

I just got back from my test drive and I could not be happier with it so far! I drove around with the windows down and could not hear a single peep out of it. Conditions were perfect too, wet and slippery. The Trutrack is almost invisible in its operation, smoothly sending torque to the wheel with the most traction. Even the worse case, a sharp right hand corner in the wet, couldn't even come close to spinning up the inside tire.

I wonder whether the issues people are having, are installation related, or a quality control issue. As an engineer for a CNC manufacturing company, I can't say that I like seeing "made in Taiwan" on parts I am using, but for an assembly like this to cost $480 to your door, that's what you get. I didn't change rear gears, so I didn't have to mess with the pinion. I had planned on just matching the factory backlash, but found it to be about 0.013", which is just out of spec. The shims included in the Motive install kit are complete garbage; mainly the thicker 0.100" shims. They are essentially saddle shaped, and could act like a spring washer, rather than a rigid shim. Also, the thinner ones included are 0.010", 0.015", and 0.020". The only gives you the ability to make changes of 0.005" or more. Just not a fine enough increment to dial things in nicely. I was finally able to build a shim stack that put my backlash at 0.010" (after a lot of wet sanding!)

I started out with 85w140 Valvoline High Performance (dino), but am considering switching over to Amsoil Severe Gear down the road.

Hey guys,

The Truetrac is still operating beautifully. I'm getting ready for a fluid change and very tempted to switch over to Amsoil Severe Gear. But don't want to choose between dumping out $60 worth of fluid, or dealing with a noisy diff.

I'm wondering if anyone on here has had some good success with that oil in a Truetrac?

Also, does anyone have empirical data to show whether higher viscosity raises or lowers the TBR? I have seen quotes pointing in both directions: http://www.corner-carvers.com/forums/showpost.php?p=858296&postcount=9

Stick to 85W140 that has been working well for you.

It works!

Edit:I'm afraid your drain may carry goldenish hue and its magnetic plug, if any, probably is free of metal shavings.

Last edited:
I struggle with this same question. I have been running Amsoil gear lube for about 30 years now and it is great. I want to put Tru-Tracs in my Jeep but do not want to use petroleum oil. Still not sure what I will do after break in.

I am sure there are some mineral based gear oils out there which do not have any friction modifiers in them, but they are not very common.

The only synthetic gear oils I know of that don't have any added FMs are the Motul Gear 300s labelled as NOT for limited slip diffs, and the LAT (LubeATech) stuff I have sitting in my basement.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
The Motorcraft 75W140 does not have FM in it.

VERY good stuff, but more than Red Line and Motul in my area, even from highly discounted local parts stores.
frown.gif

When I was planning on a T2R, I was going to use Mobil Delvac 75W90, which is also FM-free. At least, after break-in. You can buy it in gallons too. Not the 140 grade though, unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back