Coolant Loss 2005 Equinox

Status
Not open for further replies.
A puzzling situation in our 2005 Chev Equinox with 133,000 km on it. I have maintained the system well over the years. Lately, the coolant level has been dropping to below the "Fill Cold" line about 1"-2". With the vehicle cold, I open the pressurized cap on the degas bottle to add more coolant. Pressure is released and coolant rushes in from the upper hose and refills the bottle to the "Cold Fill" line.

I then add a bit of coolant in case the level drops once again after driving. Next day, the same thing happens; coolant below the "cold" line then coolant gushes back in as I crack open the degas cap. Anyone have any ideas as to what's going on? No visible coolant leaks, oil is clean, etc... The coolant I add has to be going SOMEWHERE.

I have a 2005 Equinox and just went through addressing "coolant loss". Mileage 118,000. Lower intake manifold was leaking, call it a $1,000 repair. Then discovered the head gasket was blown, call it another $1,000. Add a just beginning to leak water pump, another couple hundred.

The 2005 Equinox's are notorious for the lower intake manifold and head gasket going. More than likely if you have not had them done, it will happen. Something to do with the original gaskets not liking the DexCool.

Interesting note on the head gasket issue. There was no milky stuff on the oil cap and the exhaust did not look super white like you see in the youtube videos. The repair shop did not think I had a blown head gasket. I bought a head gasket testing kit that suggested oil was mixing with the coolant somewhere. I then insisted the shop do a pressure test on the valves, and yep, blown head gasket. While replacing the head gasket, they noted someone (previous owner?) most likely had used a stop leak product prior to selling it me.

Last edited:
Let's try a different approach. Why would coolant rush into the degas bottle as I crack it open even after sitting overnight? Is the system constantly under pressure?

My brother's 2005 Equinox had the same exact issue. Dealer fixed it for nearly free. Go politely into your nearest dealer and see what they can offer you.

Whenever I crack open the Equinox reservoir, it releases pressure. In my Trailblazer, no pressure.

If you are needing to continually add coolant, its either leaking somewhere or its passing through a gasket, getting burned up and leaving out the tailpipe.

Thanks Chris M. Did he say what was done to correct the problem or what the problem actually was? Gasket, EGR, other?

is there something in the water over at GM that they can never seem to build a car that DOES NOT have head or intake manifold gasket issues? I mean, thay had the issue in the mid to late 90's on their V6 motors that went on for a decade and helped bring GM down and they still are making the same mistakes. I just cannot figure that company out.

I had the same issue while my Equinox was under the certified warranty. The dealer replaced the headgasket and the LIMs and I have never lost a drop of coolant since. It stinks but the materials used for the gaskets for the 3.4 (and the older 3.1s) get eaten by the new dex-cool. Once you get that fix enjoy the SUV. I have had mine for over 6 years now and love it. Great driving vehicle and very reliable otherwise.

The 3.4 has a wet intake, and known for LIM and HG issues.
HG issues are not as prevalent as LIM if the engine wasn't run low on coolant and over heated.

When they leak its usually into one of the intake valve ports on the head, they are generally a small leaks and not enough to cause hydro lock.
Fel-Pro makes a good LIM perma dry gasket for these engines. It can be hard to find the exact location of the leak even with a pressure tester because its internal and very small.
Head gaskets usually blow coolant out under pressure when the engine is running or foul the oil.

If i had to guess it would be the LIM gasket.

Originally Posted By: Trav
The 3.4 has a wet intake, and known for LIM and HG issues.
HG issues are not as prevalent as LIM if the engine wasn't run low on coolant and over heated.

When they leak its usually into one of the intake valve ports on the head, they are generally a small leaks and not enough to cause hydro lock.
Fel-Pro makes a good LIM perma dry gasket for these engines. It can be hard to find the exact location of the leak even with a pressure tester because its internal and very small.
Head gaskets usually blow coolant out under pressure when the engine is running or foul the oil.

If i had to guess it would be the LIM gasket.

That may be what happened with mine. Wife called to say the car was running hot, checked the coolant and it was low. Probably low from the LIM gasket. Filled up coolant, kept going down. Found the LIM gasket leaking, replaced. Still losing coolant, replaced the head gasket. No more coolant issues now.

Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
Head gaskets. Both of them.

How about a little diagnostics first before recommending a set of head gaskets, holy cow.

How about a little diagnostics first before recommending a set of head gaskets, holy cow.

He was not saying to get head gaskets. He was responding to a question about what was wrong with his brother's vehicle.

Originally Posted By: wormwood1978

He was not saying to get head gaskets. He was responding to a question about what was wrong with his brother's vehicle.

Indeed. Once GM took care of that issue along with a few other leaks all around the car, it's been fairly good for them. It doesn't pay these auto manufacturers to cheap out in the beginning only to have secret warranty fixes and even worse, recalls, to fix it RIGHT in the end. Honda is guilty of it also and I love me some Honda's.......

Filled the Equinox to the "cold fill" line 2 days ago. It has been driven around the city since then, plus a 1.5 hr highway drive (45 mins each way)last night. Checked the degas tank this morning, coolant still at the "cold fill" line. No coolant loss this time around. Can't figure it out.
confused.gif

thanks for the update. I would think if you have a head gasket problem, lim gasket problem or a water pump leak, with the driving you did, you should have seen a loss of fluid.

Ya know I was thinking about something here but, I hadn't really made any connection. Each Winter,(oh lets say, around December), I have to add some coolant to the overflow reservoir as it is waaaaay low(barely showing inside the res).

But, in the Spring(around late JUNE e.g.), I do notice that my early in the morning coolant level is at/near the "HOT" level in the res. YES, I do check the fluids regularly!
laugh.gif

Could this be what the OP(Doad) is experiencing?

Last edited:
the fact that when you open the reservoir and fluid moves (or rushes) into it as you say tells me you are pressurizing the coolant system in some way. I would expect that to be a head gasket.

Update...Coolant loss has been intermittent but have gone through 3L in 3 weeks. Very inconsistent. Some mornings the level is low, other mornings right at the "cold fill line". Before I take it to the shop thought I'd mention no milky stuff on oil dipstick or oil filler cap. Can't really tell if it's steam coming out of tailpipe with the cold weather and typical exhaust. No visible external leaks. Still puzzled.

Originally Posted By: Doad
Update...Coolant loss has been intermittent but have gone through 3L in 3 weeks. Very inconsistent. Some mornings the level is low, other mornings right at the "cold fill line". Before I take it to the shop thought I'd mention no milky stuff on oil dipstick or oil filler cap. Can't really tell if it's steam coming out of tailpipe with the cold weather and typical exhaust. No visible external leaks. Still puzzled.

As I previously mentioned, I went through something similar with my 05 Equinox in December. Coolant disappearing, no visible leaks. No milky stuff on the dipstick or oil filler cap. Could not tell if the exhaust was off because of the cold temperatures; the mechanic thought the exhaust was okay and did not think it was the head gasket.

I used this to determine I had a head gasket leak. http://www.amazon.com/Lisle-75500-Combus...d+gasket+tester

After the positive test, I had the mechanic do a compression test which indicated a head gasket leak. Ultimately, I had the LIM gasket replaced and the head gasket. Vehicle has been fine since then.

Good luck and keep us updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back