Snow blowers to avoid?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The light does not sound like a big deal but it comes in handy. I work from home and I need to be working until 4PM maybe 5PM. So while I might start snow blowing in daylight, I often finish at night.

Bror, good call. The chute is plastic on the Sno-Tek line, but they were steel up until recently. The rotation mechanism is the same as the current 'orange' Ariens I've seen. Same as the axle setup with wheel hub pins to lock/unlock. The worm gear housing is cast aluminum, with what looks like a stamped steel top cover with an access plug for oil. It looks identical to the higher dollar orange models, but those use a cast iron worm gear case. Skid shoes are reversible steel ones.

Donald, I worked around the lack of a light on the machine by wearing one of those cheap battery powered 'strap on' lights on my noggin. It works wonderfully.

"Same as the axle setup with wheel hub pins to lock/unlock."

My current machine (Ariens 28" Deluxe) has an axle that is locked. To unlock it, you squeeze a lever on the handle bars. To release it, you let go of that lever. Sounds good, but the mechanism sticks. Other, more expensive machines this size and larger use their "Auto-Turn" feature with similar, mixed results.

My Dad has a 2007 vintage Ariens 28" with about a half dozen different features. His axles have pins which you switch around to lock or unlock the axle. He, however, has heated grips and a larger Tecumseh engine.A bunch of his controls are different as well.

I bought my current machine in the fall of 2011. Ariens has evolved their 28" machine extensively over the past decade alone. There are about dozen slight variations during that time ... maybe more.

My machine has the cast iron front axle. Dad has the aluminum one. I know the iron one is seen as a premium feature ... it's probably stiffer and more fatigue resistant.

I like the light on my machine ... not nearly a real headlight but it works enough and I have used my machine in the dead of night with no problems.

You might want one of the tracked versions of the Honda Snow blowers. They make good engines and their snowblowers are awesome quality IMO. Have fun finding parts for that machine

How does the autoturn feature work? I heard some complaints about it when the path is not even, the blower wants to go all over under those circumstances.

I had the little levers on a Craftsman snowblower I had a few years ago (wife says she lost the snowblower). They worked OK if I remember to use them.

But given that a two stage cannot remove 100% of the snow there is always some snow on the driveway. Usually enough for me to push the snowblower a little and turn it how I want.

Originally Posted By: Donald
Aren't chains as good as tracks?

Having used both, the tracked versions are like little tanks. We've got two later model Honda snowblowers at work. One wheeled, one tracked. Both throw more snow further than any make/model I've used, but yet I prefer a simple rubber tire model where I can easily drag it backwards and maneuver it around easily. Given the Hondas are hydrostatic, you have to drive them to every position. I don't care for the position of the handlebars on Hondas either.

I can't recommend Snapper single-stage XS922. Motor is a powerful B&S, pull start 1-2 times (also has electric start) with a bright LED headlight. The chute is "turned" by a cable-driven pinion gear that "bears" on the ring gear in the base of the chute. In practice, even after factory authorized service, turning the chute is a two-handed job; one on the cable drive and one on the chute. I suppose it's not really that bad, but not what I paid for.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
An update of this thread if you are still interested in what snowblowers are made in North America and which are made in China:

http://www.snowblowerforum.com/forum/537577-post2.html

It's a nice write-up, but kind of pointless given the amount of import content on made in USA models. I've got quite a few years in on those forums and some of the posts definitely crack me up. Main thing is the availability of parts and service. I've never been a huge fan of MTD, but you can't argue the fact that parts and service is easy and relatively inexpensive to get for them. Same with any Sears machine.

I researched DEK and GXi machines prior to buying my Ariens Sno-Tek. I considered buying one through big box or mail-ordering a refurb. The company is based out of Clayton NC http://www.gxioutdoorpower.com/index.html . There's a dealer network for them and lots of parts are available online, so I personally wouldn't say "never" to them.

JTK, I think my take-away from that forum in general, and that thread in particular, is that the I've-never-heard-of-them Chinese brands are to be avoided. Read the thread on that Stanley machine ... and I saw a You-Tube video of someone who bought 2 similar machines of the same brand. They are junk right out of the box.

I am skeptical of MTD seemingly using more and more Chinese parts and Toro now being made in Mexico (does it ever snow in Mexico?) but a pure new brand with no reputation to protect made 100% in China? That seems to be trouble waiting to happen and the stories are starting to mount. Paper-thin sheet metal, weakly made gear cases and spindly controls all in the name of a rock-bottom price.

Thanks, but I'll shell out a few more bucks for something better.

Originally Posted By: Bror Jace
JTK, I think my take-away from that forum in general, and that thread in particular, is that the I've-never-heard-of-them Chinese brands are to be avoided. Read the thread on that Stanley machine ... and I saw a You-Tube video of someone who bought 2 similar machines of the same brand. They are junk right out of the box.

I am skeptical of MTD seemingly using more and more Chinese parts and Toro now being made in Mexico (does it ever snow in Mexico?) but a pure new brand with no reputation to protect made 100% in China? That seems to be trouble waiting to happen and the stories are starting to mount. Paper-thin sheet metal, weakly made gear cases and spindly controls all in the name of a rock-bottom price.

Thanks, but I'll shell out a few more bucks for something better.

I hear you. I wouldn't spend my money on something I couldn't at a minimum, give a quick look-over. The DEK/GXi I was interested in was a 30" model, and was around $600 ("factory refurb"). I don't see much on them on youtube aside from the fella with two large Stanley machines with (I'm assuming) drive belt issues. I don't like the looks of the toothed belt on that setup. That's bad news IMO.

I've seen some really flimsy no-name Chinese import snowblowers at PepBoys. Very flimsy looking/feeling.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back