2 cycle oils, synthetic, castor, flash points?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looking into 2 cycle oils and have a couple of questions.

When comparing two random oils such as

Maxima Castor 927 and Amsoil Interceptor, obvioiy one is a castor based oil, and the other is a synthetic. People will argue for hours over castor vs synthetic, but I was wondering about flash points. The Castor oil is listed at 420°, the Amsoil at 183°. Someone on a a powersport forum mentioned that with an oil with a low flash point, under 200° actually will burn cleaner since the oil flashes with less temp, however at the same time that oil is getting burnt off instead of lubricating the engine. Also noted that it is not uncommon for an a/c 2 cycle to reach high temps in the bottom end where the oil is supposed to be lubricating crank and rod bearings.

Whether this is true or not, I have no idea. I've noticed that the Interceptor seems to be targeted heavily toward snowmobiles, although they also recommend it for motorycles, atv's, etc. Dominator more towards "race" engines and dirt bikes.

Going by flash theory, is a castor oil going to be significantly better in terns of protection than a synthetic?

The scooter I am working on now is a modified big bore, air cooled engine which should turn in the 10-12k range once tuned with the proper pipe etc. Cylinder head temps generally see ~400° .

So what is the best way to go? Is the Interceptor a no-no? Suggest Dominator? Only down side is that it doesn't have any corossion fighters in it. Or simply run a Castor based oil such as the Maxima or Klotz and just deal with the smoke, messy oil residue, and overall dirtiness of the Castor based oil.

Would there be any point in doing some think like mixing 20% castor to the Interceptor synthetic?

2 cycle decisions are even tougher than automotive oil choices lol

Absolutely! One of the best synthetics on the market and contains fuel stabilizers. Redline two stroke racing is great also but lacks some of the corrosion protection and stabilizers of Stihl HP Ultra.

Originally Posted By: Taildragger
Absolutely! One of the best synthetics on the market and contains fuel stabilizers. Redline two stroke racing is great also but lacks some of the corrosion protection and stabilizers of Stihl HP Ultra.

I don't know I feel about running this stuff in a $1000+ scooter engine build...not including all of the other trans parts and whatnot. I'm sure it is great for equipment, but this is a 70mph scooter. There is a huge scooter scene in Hawaii and it seems that the trust reliable oils are

Maxima 927
Dominator
Klotz Super Techinplate
Motul 800

And of course they say the Maxima is pretty dirty, the Dominator is very thin and dirty, but they both seem to provide the best wear protection. The Dominator seems to do much better at 28:1-32:1 vs the 50:1.

I'm basically just trying to see if there is any actual correlation between the flash points of these different oils and their actual performance/wear protection.

Best stuff I could find for this;

120.jpg

Any thing good or bad about maybe doing something like a 50/50 it 70/20 mix of Dominator (or Interceptor) / Maxima Castor 927 blend?

Not sure what that would do to flash points. Would part burn off sooner than the other?

Thought was to possibly have the cleaner burning syn boosted with some stickier castor improve bearing and wear with the benefits of castor while still retaining some of the cleaner synthetic benefits?

Whatever you will do.....just don`t mix two different oils....and please dont`t ask me why
smile.gif

Stay away from castor based oils because they will only clog your muffler. Nowadays synthetic oil are so up to date that there is no need for castor oil......by the way what is wrong with ester based Motul 800?

The only real negative things I've read on the syn oils is that most of them are very thin/runny and from what people say, don't do a great job of sticking around in the crank case as well as the Castor oils since they are thicker/heavier/stickier.

Nothing really negative about the Motul 800 other than it is usually a good deal more expensive and harder to find than the others. They also say it is still thinner, but not as thin as the Dominator.

Again, I'm trying to find out if the syns that's all seem to have a flash point which is close to half of what the castors are, are not really ideal for air cooled, high revving, hotter engines.

The Interceptor has a very low flash point (which may be easier for the ignition system to burn) and is marketed so hard towards these snow mobiles. So although Amsoil says its great for everything, maybe that isn't the case?

Try to find sae40 or sae50 (premix only) two stroke oils instead of regular sae30....

I know that you will not be able to buy these oils in your country....i will post them only as an example for googling PDS...

Omv 2T-S 12,3 mm2/[email protected] @160C...Eni(Agip) i-Ride Scooter 11,8 mm2/s flaspoint @125C ...etc

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N
Go to www.opieoilc.co.uk and find PDF sheet for both motul 800 versions...

Road is sae50...its in 20mm/s range vs off road in sae40... 15,x mm/s

So what does actually mean when it comes to application? Is the idea behind the Road version extended wot use and off road more on and off the throttle?

Thicker oil film @wot...and under load...

But don`t forget: For oil injector systems, use MOTUL 710 2T

Last edited:
Yeah, the oil pump has been removed and it is a premix system now. I didn't know if the off road might be a better choice because this thing is being driven on the street, with stop, go, slow down, speed up, and not wot all the time like a track bike.

Shoud be just fine! I bought off road version for my chainsaw...

One way or another (road or off road)....is "overkill" for your scooter.

And tomorrow i will test it with my friend in the woods....I want to know if higher flashpoint of that oil will contribute that oil will not burn off completly...and will end up unbrnt in my muffler...

Well I can throw apart chainsaw muffler easily and clean it....but its harder to do this with scooter muffler
frown.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back